Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still don't understand how Cohen could

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    It wouldnt matter. LSU didnt bunt as much as we did the last few years
    Steroids are wonderful drugs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The guy that thinks you should look curveball and adjust to the fastball. I can't remember his name.
    Will lives on. Lol
    He killed threads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    There are just so many different ways to run a successful offense in baseball that's it's crazy for someone to dislike a coach just because you don't agree with it.
    An indisputable point that will NEVER be understood by some fans. They are so stuck on bogus talent evaluations,some strategy of the day or some dislike for a coach that they cannot fathom not having the one true answer for why a team is winning or losing. Happens in all sports.

It's never ONE thing. Never.

I will say that the manner in how a staff relates to players and a clear vision of the head coach to them weigh heavily.

But batting orders and Recruiting rankings and motion offenses aren't nearly the culprits they are given credit for being.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Actually with Cann there they bunted 36 times to our 35 last year. And then his first year they bunted 31 times. We're about on pace with what his offenses have typically done in that arena.

Kentucky leads the conference far and away in bunts with 42 compared to our 28 which ranks fourth in the SEC currently.

And we all know who Kentucky's coach is.
    A) Maneiri was making alot of those calls
    B) As I stated- they didnt bunt as much as us the last few years. 10 more bunts by us over them in 2015. That's alot.

Sac Bunting has its place in baseball- just not in the 1st 3 innings

vCash
    B) As I stated- they didnt bunt as much as us the last few years. 10 more bunts by us over them in 2015. That's alot.

You realize Cann bunted in the 3rd vs auburn and aTm, right? Lost the auburn game 17-8 and lost aTm game 9-2
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-07-2017 at 08:47 AM.

vCash

Yes it does at its appropriate time. Just not in every game's 1st 3 innings. When you are facing a conference ace, sure. When The situation calls for it. Polk didn't call for a bunt in any inning after Tony Gage got picked off in the 80's in the CWS. That was a poor strategy too.

vCash

Did anyone listen to Cohen on the broadcast with Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by dawgoneyall View Post
    Never understood the Cohen hate.

And he will be eventually the best AD we have had.

Without question he is the smartest...although, that isn't always the most important part of the job.
    Dude was really interesting to listen to during a ball game. Highly intelligent and really dissecting the game within the game. He also gave some insight into what he expects some of the younger players to mature into. It was really impressive to listen to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zildjan View Post
    Dude was really interesting to listen to during a ball game. Highly intelligent and really dissecting the game within the game. He also gave some insight into what he expects some of the younger players to mature into. It was really impressive to listen to.
    Which young players was he highest on?

vCash
    He was on during the auburn series too. Very good.

vCash

He mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Which young players was he highest on?
    Vansau and Poole quite a bit. He really talked about Poole's speed ad how he will be really good once he adjusts to the college slider, etc. Really interesting. If I'm not mistaken he said something about Poole reminding him of a young Rooker. Also said Vansau has a very simple swing and they liked that a lot.
    Last edited by Zildjan; 05-07-2017 at 11:18 AM.

vCash
    Never understood the Cohen hate.

And he will be eventually the best AD we have had.

Without question he is the smartest...although, that isn't always the most important part of the job.
    I usually enjoy disagreeing with you, but can't here. He and the Ninja are the two best we've had in my lifetime.

vCash
    hire an untested Asst. coach when he could have brought in a proven winner.
    Given how we've performed this season, why this now?

vCash
    Vansau and Poole quite a bit. He really talked about Poole's speed ad how he will be really good once he adjusts to the college slider, etc. Really interesting. If I'm not mistaken he said something about Poole reminding him of a young Rooker. Also said Vansau has a very simple swing and they liked that a lot.
    I thought Poole was a Junior? Is he just a Soph?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Given how we've performed this season, why this now?
    It was being sarcastic.

Or maybe you were?

If he is not coach of the year then they need to quit having that award.

vCash

One post before this, you used LSU bunting stats to defend your point, then in the next post you used "Manieri made some of those calls" to defend another. C'mon man.

Side note: Nothing pisses me off more than someone that says "never do _____" in baseball. That's what makes baseball special, that every game and every situation is different. Like yesterday, one might say "Never let Jolly throw fastballs to this guy", and Jolly threw 4 straight heaters and K'd the guy without him taking the bat off his shoulder. Fooled him completely.
    Same can be said for sac bunting early. If a guy has your number and you have a chance to scratch a run across, sometimes the situation calls for it. And despite the criticism many gave Cohen for his bunting...we won a lot of close games where our momentum started from a bunt single, scratching a run out with a sac bunt, or bunting and our opponent making an error on it. Cohen knew he had Butch and that it wouldn't take but a few runs to get the job done...and he was usually right. Then last year....no Butch, less bunt. Give Cohen some credit...just bc he didn't win the way some of you would have tried to win....he won, a lot.
    But the whole, "never sac bunt early in a game" thing is just hot air. You do what you gotta do to win, and nobody knows their team like the coach...so there's a method to whatever chess move is made. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Saying "no place for bunting early in a game" is just someone trying to seem like they know more than they do about baseball imo. This side note is not directed at any one person either, just my thoughts in general.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I just hate when people use absolutes in baseball. Baseball is NEVER a game of absolutes.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 05-07-2017 at 12:10 PM.

vCash
    If it had only been one game- it wouldnt have been a big deal. It was the constant giving away of outs in the 1st 3 innings of games.

Also- will never understand why Cody didnt platoon with Humphries last year. Hump couldnt hit good RHP's but we kept running him out there. Hump must have hit .450 vs LHP's last year- but K after K vs RHP's. Cody has been nothing but a .300 hitter for us except last year when he didnt get consistent AB's. A platoon there and it makes us a better team. Plus Hump could have pitched more
    Cody got 20 total starts in 2016, which included 9 SEC starts and played in 19 SEC games but only hit .200 in SEC games, .241 overall. Hump hit .284 in SEC games, .310 overall, not sure about lefty righty matchups. Cohen worships stats & data analytics so I can't imagine him not making a move with Hump if he was that bad vs lefties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    Cody got 20 total starts in 2016, which included 9 SEC starts and played in 19 SEC games but only hit .200 in SEC games, .241 overall. Hump hit .284 in SEC games, .310 overall, not sure about lefty righty matchups. Cohen worships stats & data analytics so I can't imagine him not making a move with Hump if he was that bad vs lefties.
    Hump was bad vs RHP's. He absolutely crushed LHP's. We couldnt understand why he wouldnt make a move either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    One post before this, you used LSU bunting stats to defend your point, then in the next post you used "Manieri made some of those calls" to defend another. C'mon man.
    I'll get off my soapbox now. I just hate when people use absolutes in baseball. Baseball is NEVER a game of absolutes.
    Allow me to explain it to you since you missed it.

I was showing that Cann's bunt numbers were more in line with LSU's strategy- not with the Bunting Meddler we had as coach previously.

I also pointed out last season that when Cohen stopped bunting as much- our offense got better and we went on that run in the SEC last year. Our fewest number of bunts in the Cohen Era contributed to us winning an SEC Title for the 1st time since 1989. We stopped giving sooooo many outs away

As to your absolutes portion of your post- we'll just disagree. I'm a firm believer in playing for the big inning early on. You dont give away outs early in the game. We had pitchers walk 2 straight batters to get themselves in trouble- then Cohen would bunt to let the pitcher off the hook by giving him an out. Make the pitcher have to battle to get that 1st out- dont just hand it to him. There is always a little bit of relief when you get an out. Dont give that away for free. Keep him in turmoil- make him earn his way out of it.

vCash
    One reason our bunts are as high as they are this year is because of the dead weight we have had at the bottom of the order. I'd say moving forward in future seasons we'll see less of them

vCash
    One reason our bunts are as high as they are this year is because of the dead weight we have had at the bottom of the order. I'd say moving forward in future seasons we'll see less of them
    Cody brown is tied for lead with Poole in sac bunts at 5