Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best announcers you have ever heard...

vCash

Best announcers you have ever heard...

For me it's first and foremost Jack. After him: Vin Scully, Kieth Jackson, Ron Franklin, Curt Gowdy, Frank Browles, Jim Nance, and Jim Ellis.

vCash
    Harry Caray Reason I'm a cubs fan. Bob Uecker " justa bit outside". Of course wrap it in maroon and white the Legend! Vin was great at story telling

vCash
    Skip Caray and Pete VanWieren were the best team I've heard. Larry Munson is still my favorite college football guy.

vCash
    Jack without a doubt first. Vin Scully, we lived in Arizona for several years in the 70s when I was a kid. In the Days before cable tv and all and I listened to dodger games every night on the radio. I'll never forget those days. Vin Scully made the games so real, absolutely greatest baseball announcer of all time! Keith Jackson voice of college football. Loved Pete, Skip and Ernie Johnson too.

vCash
    Can't forget David Kellum getting excited about Ole Miss getting a 2 yard gain out to the 3 yard line ******

vCash
    Jack and Jim of course.

I think joe Simpson is as good as they come in baseball...too bad he's paired with chip. Smoltz is good on color. I also like Steve stone. The hawk and Wimpy back in the day was enjoyable.

Basketball I like Kevin Harlan and hubie brown.

Football...NFL is pat summerall, I also like Kevin burkhardt. College is Ron franklin...and I liked bill curry with the color commentary.

Way way way more guys that are absolutely terrible than guys that are top notch.

vCash
    Radio man: Eric Nadel - The Texas Rangers radio guy. He's elite

Analyst - Football - John Madden Baseball - John Smoltz is pretty damn good
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    For me it's first and foremost Jack. After him: Vin Scully, Kieth Jackson, Ron Franklin, Curt Gowdy, Frank Browles, Jim Nance, and Jim Ellis.
    Jack (and not because I am a state fan, he was really, really great), Scully (being Dodger fan for almost 60 years) harry caray (hated the Cardinals but he was great there and of course outstanding with the Cubs), no better collegeTV announcer that Keith jackson...peroid. Madden was the best NFL (and a tie with don Meredith...didn't take all the crap seriously)..Jim Ellis is without question the best college baseball announcer..Just is.
    Last edited by dawgoneyall; 05-04-2017 at 11:49 PM.

vCash
    I regret never getting a chance to listen to Munson live

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgoneyall View Post
    Jack (and not because I am a state fan, he was really, really great), Scully (being Dodger fan for almost 60 years) harry caray (hated the Cardinals but he was great there and of course outstanding with the Cubs), no better collegeTV announcer that Keith jackson...peroid. Madden was the best NFL (and a tie with don Meredith...didn't take all the crap seriously)..Jim Ellis is without question the best college baseball announcer..Just is.
    Dang I forgot about Dandy Don! He was awesome!

vCash
    Jack Cristal and Larry Munson followed closely by Gowdy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Jack and Jim of course.

I think joe Simpson is as good as they come in baseball...too bad he's paired with chip. Smoltz is good on color. I also like Steve stone. The hawk and Wimpy back in the day was enjoyable.

Basketball I like Kevin Harlan and hubie brown.

Football...NFL is pat summerall, I also like Kevin burkhardt. College is Ron franklin...and I liked bill curry with the color commentary.

Way way way more guys that are absolutely terrible than guys that are top notch.
    I forgot about Pat Summerall. Add him to my list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheIttaBenaHotSun View Post
    I regret never getting a chance to listen to Munson live
    I didn't know you could watch a UGA football game on TV until I was 10 - we always listened on the radio. Larry and Jack were a lot alike, and yet different. Larry was much more of a vocal homer. He also could make any opponent sound like the 4 horseman of the apocalypse during pre-game with things like "the Richmond Spiders have a tough, huge, defensive line, that are all gritty, scrappy players. I'm just worried about our running game today Loren. I don't know if Herschel will be able to run against such a stout line of 205 pound bags of grit." Herschel would then run 80 yards for a TD on the first play carrying the whole DL on his back and Larry would say something like, "I just don't know how that kid does it. 15 men on his back, and he just scratches and claws his way 80 yards. Those Richmond Spiders are tough, tough players, and he just ran through them like feed through a chicken."

vCash
    As far as football goes... Jack, Jim, John and Pat. Always and forever. I love Jon Gruden on Monday Night Football. I hate that Mike Tirico left. The new guy with Jon is pretty bland. Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth are great on Sunday night. Some don't like Cris, but I do. Don Meredith, Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell reminds me of my childhood.

vCash
    How could anyone leave out Jon Miller?

Video of Miller giving his legendary Vin Skully impersonation.

vCash
    Don't know about great or not. But I enjoy Brad Nessler, he explains it so I can understand.

vCash
    I like Herby and Palmer. Not the best ever, but some of he best now.

You can hate me for that. I'm ok with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    Don't know about great or not. But I enjoy Brad Nessler, he explains it so I can understand.
    I really enjoyed Nessler when he did GA Tech basketball and Atlanta Falcons football back in the 80s. Wes Durham with Ga Tech and the Falcons was also very good - does a good job for ACC games now.

vCash
    Jim. This still gives me chills. "A GRAND SLAM FOR MASTERS."
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JHyJia-RjdI

Oh, and the Tulane baseball play by play guy for this gym. Haha bears.

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/tulane-baseball-home-run-call-todd-graffagnini-060516
    Last edited by confucius say; 05-05-2017 at 01:30 PM.

vCash
    Another Jack comes to mind...Jack Buck in football. Jim Ellis could have made it in the baseball majors...no doubt about it...has the pipes and the knowledge and the delivery..simply the best. Ron Franklin wasn't a slouch. I cringe when I think that Bart Gregory will likely be Jim's successor whenever...sure he's an ok guy but that would really be a talent gap.
    Last edited by was21; 05-05-2017 at 09:23 PM.