Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bo is not high on Coach O getting it done

vCash

Bo is not high on Coach O getting it done

Bo had a really interesting conversation about Coach O this am and pretty much thinks it was a terrible hire and doesn't see O doing anything more with LSU than Miles did. In fact Bo thinks it may be worse under O.

Bo thinks LSU goes 8-4 this season best case scenario.

vCash
    I think O will be more successful in the short term than long term.

He hired 2 good coordinators that will solidify the foundation early on, but once Aranda and Canada leave for head or NFL jobs, the little details of the program will begin to erode.

See Larry Coker at Miami or Muschamp at Florida for what I think it will look like.

vCash
    Orgeron is a worse coach than Les Miles. So yes, it was a terrible hire.

vCash
    Who is?

vCash
    Before Saban, LSU had a history of doing the least with the most. I think Orgeron takes them backward because he has too much Louisiana in him to succeed in Louisiana if that makes any sense.

LSU lost several really good recruits last year and that is a bad sign considering Orgeron is supposed to be a lights out recruiter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Orgeron is a worse X's and O's coach. But LSU can afford to go hire the best coordinators and Orgeron will presumably be better than Miles at getting out of the coordinators' way. The turnover at coordinator positions without a head coach to provide some x's and o's continuity on at least one side of the ball is going to cause some up and down years, but I think he's going to be ok.

He may not be any better than Miles' last few years, and I doubt many of the people so gung ho about firing Miles had a coach like ORgeron in mind for the replacement, but I don't think it was a terrible hire. It was just an uninspired hire that looks worse condiering Miles was chased out and paid a big buyout to do it.

vCash
    Charlie Mac II.

vCash
    They will consistently be a 7 8 win team. Then he will be fired.

vCash
    So will LSU go after Chip Kelly this year if Coach O doesn't get it done? LSU swung and missed on Herman so I think O was just a backup plan to delay for a year.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Bo had a really interesting conversation about Coach O this am and pretty much thinks it was a terrible hire and doesn't see O doing anything more with LSU than Miles did. In fact Bo thinks it may be worse under O.

Bo thinks LSU goes 8-4 this season best case scenario.

So Bo agrees with the rest of the college football world, to include many LSU fans.

vCash
    Ogeron's OC is a better offensive coach than Les Miles. Aranda is one of the best 3-4 DC's in the country. LSU will likely best just fine. About all Orgeron is going to do recruit and talk to the media

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Ogeron's OC is a better offensive coach than Les Miles. Aranda is one of the best 3-4 DC's in the country. LSU will likely best just fine. About all Orgeron is going to do recruit and talk to the media
    Then he's going to be a terrible head coach, as you need to do a lot more than that if you want to be successful in that position.

Orgeron was a joke of a head coach at Ole Miss. Now people are convinced for some reason that he's going to be good at LSU. If he has no involvement at all in game-planning or making any calls, then it only further proves the point. A figurehead as head coach is a terrible, terrible strategy.

vCash
    I think y'all might be surprised. Hope I'm wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    So will LSU go after Chip Kelly this year if Coach O doesn't get it done? LSU swung and missed on Herman so I think O was just a backup plan to delay for a year.
    Jackson chimed in and told Bo he thinks O will be fired if they go 7-5 or worse. Bo didn't disagree but didn't think LSU's AD had the stones to do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Rando, I agree with you in the short term, but, if Canada and Aranda are that good, they'll both be head coaches in 2 years and Orgeron will have to hire two more coordinators and so on and so on and eventually that catches up with you.

The same principle applies to Mullen and defensive coordinators. You can only hire so many good ones in a row before you get a rotten egg. Having to rely on coordinators as the foundation of what you do schematically is a non sustainable business model IMO.

O will be good for 2 or 3 years, but the details of the program will slightly erode and then he'll make poor coordinator hires.

My best guess is we see an Auburn type situation with Cheese dick and Malzahn.

The LSU program will erode once Aranda and Canada leave and then LSU will hire one of them back to be the head coach. At which point, the schematic foundation of one side of
    the ball will be the head coach's and that's a better recipe for success.

Think of all the best coaches in the country. They all have a schematic expertise on one side of the ball that offers them the ability to still win games when replacing coordinators because only one side of the ball is affected. Coach O doesn't have that
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.

vCash
    This is obvious... the real question is Orgeron > Saban???

"It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    This is obvious... the real question is Orgeron >
    It's time for some new material. It's not my fault the NCAA cheated Oklahoma State

vCash
    Weird that So Cal didn't offer O the HC job after he seemed to "right the ship", that sends a message.

Btw, O has pissed off a few coaches in the New Orleans area on his handling of a few recruits this past signing go around.

I ain't buy him going 11-1 every year but I do see them winning at least 8 every year.

vCash
    I think he can be successful there. The problem is going to be can he outperform what miles did? I have my doubts, at least until saban leaves.

vCash
    What will happen is that they will be good short term... the coordinators will get recognition... then there will be a power struggle no one will want to work for him and there will be falling out and it will all come crashing down on them.