Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Two History

vCash
    Growing up with my grandfather I wanted to know so much more about everyone's stories. I just wish I had been. One a decade earlier.

And this is a movie about Yorktown. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta31h8OAXLI . Slightly propaganda but I grew up watching this with him along with Midway and Tora! Tora! Tora! It was great watching all these as a little kid and I'm thankful I had the chance for that.

vCash
    4 movies that you can actually say are historically factual: 1. The Longest Day, 2. Tora Tora Tora, 3. Midway and 4 The Bridge To Far. I met Maj Julian Cook, Robert Redfords Character in The Bridge too far, and asked him how Redford did and he said Spot on. Just cause there was no blood and gore, ala Saving Private Ryan, doesnt make it accurate. And the Movie Pearl Harbor was a joke.

vCash
    I love all of those movies and I grew up watching the first three you named. Movies these days just don't focus as much on the truth which is sad. I'm excited for that Dunkirk movie to come out.

One more grandfather story I remember was how he said food ran low in the South China Sea and bugs got into their bread and the cooks told them to eat in the dark so wouldn't see them.

Banned
    vCash
    Damn. Have a hard time watching pearl Harbor stories cuz the AZ story breaks my heart. Can't watch anymore INDIANAPOLIS stories either for the same reason. Unless I'm watching Jaws. Always liked that movie and the way it brought the hidden secret to light.

vCash
    When my dad was coming back home in 46 they also ran out of food and fresh water for 2 days. This was after the war of course so they didn't have the logistical support that was available during the war. And because of the band of brothers people think the the 101st was the only airborne div in WW2 and not the 82nd ABN Div which had 4 combat jumps and was the unit along with a combat command of the 9th Armored which was responsible for turning back the main armored thrust of Sepp Deitrich at Webromont and Trois Point during the bulge. PS I served in the 82nd during the mid 80s.

vCash
    It definitely is hard hearing some of the Pearl Harbor stories. To me some that are almost worst are the Wake Island stories. And Parabrave the 101 definitely gets way more attention because of that series. The 82nd had the tougher road but nowhere near the name recognition during world war 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Srt201 View Post
    It definitely is hard hearing some of the Pearl Harbor stories. To me some that are almost worst are the Wake Island stories. And Parabrave the 101 definitely gets way more attention because of that series. The 82nd had the tougher road but nowhere near the name recognition during world war 2.
    There was a controversy that after the war there was only going to be 1 ABN DIV. Rumor was that it was going to be the 101 because of being Saved by Patton at Bastogne. . However there was a guy that was on Gavins staff named Barney Olefield who was a big powerbroker in Hollywood before the War. Well he got his PR machine in hollywood going and that's what saved the 82nd. The 101 was deactivated and reactivated in 1952 and was Jump Status till the late 60s when it became a Air Assault Unit. They carry the Tab because of historical significance but are a bunch of legs or cherry jumpers unless having previously served in a abn unit..

vCash
    There's no denying the airborne were the elite of world war 2. I have a lot of admiration for the airborne.

Oh by the way the rifle my grandfather when he got back to mathiston after the war him and his brothers tied the rifle to a stake and tied a rope around the trigger to fire it just in case it was booby trapped. But it fired and he kept it stored and just took it apart to clean every now and then. Which it's super easy to take down did it in 10 minutes first try

Banned
    vCash
    Wake island still pisses me off to this day.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    When my dad was coming back home in 46 they also ran out of food and fresh water for 2 days. This was after the war of course so they didn't have the logistical support that was available during the war. And because of the band of brothers people think the the 101st was the only airborne div in WW2 and not the 82nd ABN Div which had 4 combat jumps and was the unit along with a combat command of the 9th Armored which was responsible for turning back the main armored thrust of Sepp Deitrich at Webromont and Trois Point during the bulge. PS I served in the 82nd during the mid 80s.
    According to Band of Brothers, Easy Company won the entire war by themselves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    According to Band of Brothers, Easy Company won the entire war by themselves.
    As a former member of the 101st, I can assure you that this is a true statement. Any sane, intelligent observer will tell you that a company of 101st infantry is equivalent to a brigade in any other ABN division and the same as 4 or more divisions of leg infantry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    As a former member of the 101st, I can assure you that this is a true statement. Any sane, intelligent observer will tell you that a company of 101st infantry is equivalent to a brigade in any other ABN division and the same as 4 or more divisions of leg infantry.
    Dam screaming chickens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Wake island still pisses me off to this day.
    The history channel episode said it the best. Survivors said they didn't like being called the Alamo of the pacific because they knew what the Alamo was.

vCash
    Those sound like some interesting stories it would be awesome if you could share more about those stories too. And I know we have some of his service records somewhere in my parents house but it'll be hard to find it. All I know about he was drafted into the navy and volunteered for the marines in navy boot camp. Then he was shipped out aboard the USS Yorktown CV-10. I think carriers had 60-80 marines to keep the navy in line.

Brunswick did they bring back any souvenirs they showed you? And stories of how they got them?
    Unless you count a steel plate for half a skull for my tank commander great uncle, no, no souvenirs. I do have a great collection of photos from my grandfather. Everything from training in Tennessee, Canada, and England to on the move in France. Below is my favorite. On the back it reads "VE Day, near Elbe R. - Old Hard Hearted Hunter has laid down his gun and will fight no more."
    [IMG][/IMG]

vCash
    4 movies that you can actually say are historically factual: 1. The Longest Day, 2. Tora Tora Tora, 3. Midway and 4 The Bridge To Far. I met Maj Julian Cook, Robert Redfords Character in The Bridge too far, and asked him how Redford did and he said Spot on. Just cause there was no blood and gore, ala Saving Private Ryan, doesnt make it accurate. And the Movie Pearl Harbor was a joke.
    Longest Day is a terrific movie. But The first 30 minutes of Private Ryan destroyed me. It was so much like what my grandfather described Omaha that I almost puked. Totally wigged me out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Unless you count a steel plate for half a skull for my tank commander great uncle, no, no souvenirs. I do have a great collection of photos from my grandfather. Everything from training in Tennessee, Canada, and England to on the move in France. Below is my favorite. On the back it reads "VE Day, near Elbe R. - Old Hard Hearted Hunter has laid down his gun and will fight no more."
    [IMG][/IMG]
    If you could share any stories please do, I'd love to hear some of them.

vCash
    Dam screaming chickens
    "AA" = All Amateurs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    "AA" = All Amateurs?
    No rather be called a Jumping Junkie than dope on a rope. True story, I straphanging on a DISCOM jump on June night in 1986 when I noticed a Hot looking female officer, really filled out those BDUs, a couple of jumpers behind me. So when the jump commands were finished we had about 6 mins before stand in the door. So I started talking to her finding out that she went to the W. Well soon this Smartass Cherryjumping Major told me to be quiet and get ready to jump. This being about my 50th Jump in my 3rd Year I disregarded him and asked him where the hell he was from an where did he go to school. Expecting to hear West Point he answered Mississippi State graduating in 1971. I asked him if he knew my cousin Richie Collins who also got his Commission from State that year. He said he did and they were best friends in ROTC. Well Green Light came on and out we went. Well Major Mitchell I never got back to you cause one of your idiot troopers who was fing off in the air stole my air about 150 feet off the ground causing me a little stay at Womack. All I want to know is WHO was that dam good looking 2nd LT from the W.

vCash
    No rather be called a Jumping Junkie than dope on a rope. True story, I straphanging on a DISCOM jump on June night in 1986 when I noticed a Hot looking female officer, really filled out those BDUs, a couple of jumpers behind me. So when the jump commands were finished we had about 6 mins before stand in the door. So I started talking to her finding out that she went to the W. Well soon this Smartass Cherryjumping Major told me to be quiet and get ready to jump. This being about my 50th Jump in my 3rd Year I disregarded him and asked him where the hell he was from an where did he go to school. Expecting to hear West Point he answered Mississippi State graduating in 1971. I asked him if he knew my cousin Richie Collins who also got his Commission from State that year. He said he did and they were best friends in ROTC. Well Green Light came on and out we went. Well Major Mitchell I never got back to you cause one of your idiot troopers who was fing off in the air stole my air about 150 feet off the ground causing me a little stay at Womack. All I want to know is WHO was that dam good looking 2nd LT from the W.
    Could you figure out what unit she was in go from there?

vCash
    One last story I remember (before having to ask my dad which ones I've forgotten) is about my grandfather sleepwalking from his bunk below deck to his battlestation in the middle of the night. It's a wonder he didn't go overboard in his sleep.