Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: World War Two History

vCash
    Got one more story, post War my grandfather was in the navy reserve and got called up for the Korean War and served on some destroyer. I wish I knew which one. But he was from Mathiston, MS and his first day at sea he gets called to the captains cabin, well the guy showing my grandfather his bunk said now you're in for it and you just got here. Well my grandfather goes to meet the captain nervous and guess what. Captain only wanted to see him because he was from Mathiston himself.

Banned
    vCash
    Thank you srt. That kicks ass. Thank you all for these great stories.

What amazes me so much about Korea is how much a nations combat readiness can deteriorate in such short period of time when you let your guard down assuming evil no longer exists.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Thank you srt. That kicks ass. Thank you all for these great stories.

What amazes me so much about Korea is how much a nations combat readiness can deteriorate in such short period of time when you let your guard down assuming evil no longer exists.
    My favorite book is The Coldest Winter: America in the Korean War. It's a great book about the initial phase of the war. If you want I can try and find my copy.

vCash
    Another thing that gets me is the impact of the Cold War on the Eastern European countries. A documentary I would recommend is "the invisible front" it is well worth the watch.

vCash
    I'm still trying to find pictures to share, I haven't found many of my grandfather's. But I feel comfortable sharing this one I found while researching the ship he served on. This is a jap plane destroyed by 5" shells.

https://postimg.org/image/ugn55c6il/

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Srt201 View Post
    I'm still trying to find pictures to share, I haven't found many of my grandfather's. But I feel comfortable sharing this one I found while researching the ship he served on. This is a jap plane destroyed by 5" shells.

https://postimg.org/image/ugn55c6il/
    Holy crap SRT!! where did this pic come from? do you know what South Pacific Campaign? what island?

Banned
    vCash
    here's what I know about the zero's. they were indeed bad ass planes. they were more vulnerable to bullets though than the Mustang. but they were fast and very maneuverable and in the beginning had very talented pilots. we lost a lot of planes and pilots due to them (ask Bush Sr.) the Mustangs were protected better due to thicker steel and we covered our gas tanks with thick rubber where a bullet wouldn't explode the plane. in the end, we whipped them with numbers and planes that could withstand bullets much better than the zero and we ended up killing their experienced pilots. thus , in the end, they had to resort to suicide bombers. we also learned a lot about zeros when we confiscated a crashed one in the Aleutian islands.

vCash
    Holy crap SRT!! where did this pic come from? do you know what South Pacific Campaign? what island?
    Bully I went back to where I got the picture. It was taken on December 4, 1943 off of the island of Kwajalein. I look up information in the online national archives. It's tough finding useful information because of how it's organized but there is a ton of useful and awesome pictures on there.

This is another cool document I found on there. https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/...ction=download

vCash
    To any one interested I’ve found a few things that I thought would entertain you.

vCash
    If you want to see great pics from every ship in the US in thr 20th century check out NAVSOURCE

vCash
    WWII battlefields: Have any of you ever been to any? I spent a day in the American sectors in Normandy back in 2010. I have been to St. Petersburg/Leningrad. I've been to what is left of three 8th Air Force bases in Norfolk, England. I've been to London, you can see where a lot of the bombs landed if you know what to look for. I've been to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford. That is the former RAF Duxford that was such a key base in the Battle of Britain. If you ever get a chance to go to that place, DO IT. I've been to Berlin, you can certainly still see where battle damage was patched on the Brandenburg Gate. I'm going to be taking a Rhine River cruise in August. We will be in Amsterdam a day or two prior to the cruise. I'm exploring taking a day trip out to some of the Market Garden areas. Hopefully it will be daylight when we sail by Remagen.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 02-02-2018 at 12:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    WWII battlefields: Have any of you ever been to any?
    When I was interning in England back in 2013, by GF and I took a 10 day trip to France. We rented a car and drove all through Normandy, seeing Pointe du Hoc and Omaha Beach, as well as the American Cemetery. It was pretty amazing.

vCash
    WWII battlefields: Have any of you ever been to any? I spent a day in the American sectors in Normandy back in 2010. I have been to St. Petersburg/Leningrad. I've been to what is left of three 8th Air Force bases in Norfolk, England. I've been to London, you can see where a lot of the bombs landed if you know what to look for. I've been to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford. That is the former RAF Duxford that was such a key base in the Battle of Britain. If you ever get a chance to go to that place, DO IT. I've been to Berlin, you can certainly still see where battle damage was patched on the Brandenburg Gate. I'm going to be taking a Rhine River cruise in August. We will be in Amsterdam a day or two prior to the cruise. I'm exploring taking a day trip out to some of the Market Garden areas. Hopefully it will be daylight when we sail by Remagen.
    I've been to several over the years, Normandy 2X, Bastogne, Dunkirk, Maginot Line, Buchenwald, several areas that were in eastern Germany. Most interesting is definitely Normandy.

vCash
    The only place I can say I have been is Rome and I’ve been inside the building Mussolini gave his speeches in. I admit it was pretty neat.

vCash
    I?m jealous of those who have been. My Dad and I discussed taking my Grandad to Normandy for the 50th back in 1994. Unfortunately, Grandad had a major coronary late in 93. Even though he survived, he was done with travel like that. I?ll make that trip someday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I?m jealous of those who have been. My Dad and I discussed taking my Grandad to Normandy for the 50th back in 1994. Unfortunately, Grandad had a major coronary late in 93. Even though he survived, he was done with travel like that. I?ll make that trip someday.
    Really sorry to hear that, Brunswick.....would've been the makings of some awesome memories for y'all.

vCash
    Gentlemen, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and hope that it continues for a while as more people see it.

I was glad to see some of the "reading lists" mentioned and want to offer another "must read" book dealing with the war in the Pacific. Hell To Pay was written by D. M. Giangreco, and it documents the hundreds of thousands American and possibly millions of Japanese lives which were ultimately saved as a result of Truman's decision to drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The planning of a conventional assault or invasion of the Japanese mainland actually started in 1943, and it was estimated American casualties would be between 400-800K and that Japanese casualties would be 1-5M. This book is incredibly well-documented (almost half the pages cover documentation of sources) and serves to convincingly make the case that dropping "the bomb" was the right and humane decision.

Banned
    vCash
    Good post bull and your right, we had no choice due to the Japanese mentality.. when you have 100k on an island and only 22 surrender coupled with suicide bombers, you get the picture. They were training kids with knives attached to bamboo poles. They were cutoff and people were starving to death. Even after the 1st bomb, they refused to surrender. And remember , more civilians died via our conventional bombings than ths 2 nukea.

Aa strange as it may sound, Truman's decision saved lives.

vCash
    Good post bull and your right, we had no choice due to the Japanese mentality.. when you have 100k on an island and only 22 surrender coupled with suicide bombers, you get the picture. They were training kids with knives attached to bamboo poles. They were cutoff and people were starving to death. Even after the 1st bomb, they refused to surrender. And remember , more civilians died via our conventional bombings than ths 2 nukea.

Even after the emperor decided to surrender the military tried to overthrow him. We would've had to kill almost half of the population. My dad had no problem with the dropping of the bomb.

vCash

You're right, 13. The book says that they were training children as young as seven to fight using garden implements. They were absolutely determined to fight to the last person.