Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This will make a few heads explode ..........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    No doubt last season was a shit show. How many coaches can you find in the power 5 conferences that have made it 9 years without a shitshow season after getting the program turned around?

Which SEC coach other than Saban do you predict is going to make it 9 years without a shit show season?
    Everyone has them. Richt had his shit show season in season '10 - 6-6, barely making a bowl, then lost the Liberty Bowl in a 10-6 shitfest to UCF. Ends up 6-7.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    EXACTLY!!! Anybody else getting annoyed with these stupid threads where somebody comes on with another, "I'm a better fan than you, and this article or stat proves it" BS, and proceeds to argue the same moronic straw-man argument of, "you guys think Mullen is terrible/sucks/is a bad coach, etc"? Particularly when all we're really saying is he's done an overall great job, but appears to have glaring weaknesses that keep us from taking the next step up, and we're frustrated with his apparent stubbornness in that he makes the same mistakes year-after-year unless the problem resolves itself by a player graduating or getting injured. We also have criticized his handling of the rumors (true or not) of him flirting with other schools, and the impact it's probably had on recruiting.

But it doesn't matter how much we try to clarify our position and point out the not-so-subtle nuances...some people are just incapable of grasping them.

I'm sure i'll be branded a "Mullen-hater" by some on here just for the above comments. But here's the truth...same as it's always been:

Mullen has done wonderful, record-setting things at Mississippi State. He has elevated our football program to a degree we haven't seen since McKeen. But he DOES have flaws, as do most coaches...even Saban. I am in the group that believes Mullen's flaws have placed an artificial ceiling on what he can accomplish here. It is frustrating because these are not flaws that should be hard to correct. He just needs to be more open to learning from his mistakes.

All this said, were he to leave, we'd probably have a tough time finding a replacement who could do as well as he has overall. While he is here, I suspect we'll continue to be a middle-of-the-pack SEC team, that every-so-often gives the big-boys a run-for-their-money, and rarely comes out as the bottom-feeder, something we have plenty of in our football history.

But Dan's success here, combined with the "what-ifs" we have had concerning his aforementioned flaws have made many of us hungry for more, and believing we can actually achieve even more of it if he stops occasionally stepping on his own dick.
    I am pro dan and have no problem with your criticisms. Agree with most. The problem I and others have is not with you. It's with those random posters on here who are on record as saying they realize we cant fire dan, but would prefer dan leave.

Banned
    vCash
    EXACTLY!!! Anybody else getting annoyed with these stupid threads where somebody comes on with another, "I'm a better fan than you, and this article or stat proves it" BS, and proceeds to argue the same moronic straw-man argument of, "you guys think Mullen is terrible/sucks/is a bad coach, etc"? Particularly when all we're really saying is he's done an overall great job, but appears to have glaring weaknesses that keep us from taking the next step up, and we're frustrated with his apparent stubbornness in that he makes the same mistakes year-after-year unless the problem resolves itself by a player graduating or getting injured. We also have criticized his handling of the rumors (true or not) of him flirting with other schools, and the impact it's probably had on recruiting.

But it doesn't matter how much we try to clarify our position and point out the not-so-subtle nuances...some people are just incapable of grasping them.

I'm sure i'll be branded a "Mullen-hater" by some on here just for the above comments. But here's the truth...same as it's always been:

Mullen has done wonderful, record-setting things at Mississippi State. He has elevated our football program to a degree we haven't seen since McKeen. But he DOES have flaws, as do most coaches...even Saban. I am in the group that believes Mullen's flaws have placed an artificial ceiling on what he can accomplish here. It is frustrating because these are not flaws that should be hard to correct. He just needs to be more open to learning from his mistakes.

All this said, were he to leave, we'd probably have a tough time finding a replacement who could do as well as he has overall. While he is here, I suspect we'll continue to be a middle-of-the-pack SEC team, that every-so-often gives the big-boys a run-for-their-money, and rarely comes out as the bottom-feeder, something we have plenty of in our football history.

But Dan's success here, combined with the "what-ifs" we have had concerning his aforementioned flaws have made many of us hungry for more, and believing we can actually achieve even more of it if he stops occasionally stepping on his own dick.
    Nobody claims Mullen is perfect. We all recognize his flaws. The problem is the posters that are trying their absolute damnedest for the last two plus years to get him to leave because you nor nobody else can name me 5 other coaches that have done a better turnaround job than Dan Mullen in the last twenty years. The WORST thing we could do for our program is run him outta town. There might not be a single coach that has done more with less than Dan has in the last twenty years and that isn't enough for some. That is the problem. Those "fans" are sabotaging our football program and it makes me think they aren't really looking out for what is best for our program and our University.

vCash
    Ok, here's the math based on per capita by state using the 2016 NFL rosters where players identified their home states

(DATA - all 784 active NFL players, results do not include players from outside the USA)

Results SEC states only
    Ranked by highest per capita per total NFL players; number to the right is ratio of state population (in 000s) to players

1 - Louisiana 74/1
    2 - Alabama 81/1
    3 - South Carolina 103/1
    4 - Georgia 106/1
    5 - Florida 107/1
    6 - Mississippi 111/1
    7 - Texas 174/1
    8 - Tennessee 196/1
    9 - Missouri 226/1
    10 - Arkansas 249/1
    11 - Kentucky 341/1

I guess middle of the pack is not too bad considering our economy and high school coaching

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleofTwoDogs View Post
    Ok, here's the math based on per capita by state using the 2016 NFL rosters where players identified their home states

(DATA - all 784 active NFL players, results do not include players from outside the USA)

Results SEC states only
    Ranked by highest per capita per total NFL players; number to the right is ratio of state population (in 000s) to players

1 - Louisiana 74/1
    2 - Alabama 81/1
    3 - South Carolina 103/1
    4 - Georgia 106/1
    5 - Florida 107/1
    6 - Mississippi 111/1
    7 - Texas 174/1
    8 - Tennessee 196/1
    9 - Missouri 226/1
    10 - Arkansas 249/1
    11 - Kentucky 341/1

I guess middle of the pack is not too bad considering our economy and high school coaching
    Problem is that even through a state like Texas has a worse ratio than us, they still produce far more players because the population is much larger. I know that's a "no shit" statement, but seems like you are saying we produce plenty of NFL players because of the per capita numbers. You can have a population of 10 and produce 4 NFL players or you can have a population of 5 and produce 3 NFL players. I'd much rather have the total number advantage to the per capita advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    I remember when they wrote these articles about what a good job Croom was doing
    You sir are a moron.
    How many Orange Bowls did Croom take us to?
    For what period of time where we ranked in the top 10 under Croom?
    How many winning seasons did Croom have?

venit, vidimus, amisimus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Yea calling bullshit on this. They might have called Croom one of the most "influential" coaches for the SEC All-Time cause he was the first AA hired as head coach in the SEC but no ****ing way did they call him one of the greatest coaches of all time. Hahahaha
    I kid you not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Consecutive bowl streaks:

Florida State (35) - Damn; didn't realize FSU had never slipped up
    Virginia Tech (24) -New they had a long streak but I think they've had some 6-6 seasons in there. Not sure that's better than 5-7 against our schedule this year
    Georgia (20) - I would say Richt's 6-6 season counts as a shit show
    Oklahoma (18) - Power house
    LSU (17) Power house
    Boise State(15) Not power 5
    Wisconsin (15) - not a powerhouse, but definitely on a great run
    Alabama (13) - Power house
    Brigham Young (12) - Not power 5
    Clemson (12) - Ascending powerhouse
    Oklahoma State (11) - A good model for us
    Nebraska (9)
    Pittsburgh (9)
    Stanford (8)
    Texas A&M (8)
    Baylor (7)
    Kansas State (7)
    Louisville (7)
    Mississippi State (7)
    San Diego State (7)
    Washington (7)

Pre-Mullen - our longest stretch of bowl games was 3 years. I realize bowl games have expanded, but we went to 1 bowl game (Liberty) in the 9 years prior.

I'd say he has established a new norm for our program. Can he take us to another level than the one he's established is still up for debate, but there are other programs that have had longer success than we have (with 4 of those being SEC schools).
    So Basically some traditional powerhouses, some non-power 5 upstarts, and then Va Tech and Wisconson that have really done more without being a traditional national power. But you also have a lot of national powers not on that list (e.g., Notre Dame, FLorida, Auburn (maybe not quite a national power, but close), both UT's, etc. I'd say Mullen has done alright.

vCash
    I know- I'm terrible because I point out we had a losing season. I'm probably going to be terrible this Fall when we end up 6-6

Our schedule is really tough
    We have no kicker
    OL will take a half season to gel with Jenkins at C and little depth
    Our WR's are not very good
    DL and LB depth is suspect
    CB depth is suspect

Hopefully we get lucky with injuries and hammer out 7-5

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I kid you not.
    Hopefully one day we can find that link cause I'd like to make fun of them for life for that ranking

vCash

Agreed. All I'm saying is

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Problem is that even through a state like Texas has a worse ratio than us, they still produce far more players because the population is much larger. I know that's a "no shit" statement, but seems like you are saying we produce plenty of NFL players because of the per capita numbers. You can have a population of 10 and produce 4 NFL players or you can have a population of 5 and produce 3 NFL players. I'd much rather have the total number advantage to the per capita advantage.
    Mississippi produces more talent per capita then 5 other SEC states which disproves the contention that Mississippi doesn't produce enough quality players. The problem is in the quantity of players. Add in the fact that we have two SEC schools inside the state makes the dilution of talent even worse.

Banned
    vCash
    I know- I'm terrible because I point out we had a losing season.
    If that's all you did nobody would give you shit and nobody would give a shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaleofTwoDogs View Post
    Mississippi produces more talent per capita then 5 other SEC states which disproves the contention that Mississippi doesn't produce enough quality players. The problem is in the quantity of players. Add in the fact that we have two SEC schools inside the state makes the dilution of talent even worse.
    per capita doesn't disprove the argument that Mississippi fails to produce enough quality players. Per capita numbers have very little to do with quantitative numbers. Mississippi produces a high ratio of good players, but because of our population size, we don't produce enough players even with the high per capita numbers.

vCash
    I remember when they wrote these articles about what a good job Croom was doing

We went 5-7 in the regular season last year. Lost to South Alabama and BYU. We won our bowl game by 1 point over a 6-6 nobody out of the MAC
    So now Mullen is no better than Croom to you. Good grief.

vCash
    Yep, a few exploding heads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    It's pretty bad the only ones that don't appreciate the job Mullen has done here are a LOUD MINORITY of the miss state fan base. Even OM fans recognize the great job bc they desperately want him gone
    I said something similar regarding Murphy's recent commitment and how their are much fewer posts than if he had decommited... and it's sad but true. But I really believe that most of the fans that are positive, don't post much, and the negative nelly's vent on here.
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Yep, a few exploding heads.
    More exploding heads from the "Dan can do no wrong" side than the other. I don't think that's what you were referring to in your OP. My biggest "issue" is that we have yet another of these stupid ass threads pitting our owns fans against one another, where you get to yet again post some nonsense suggesting you are a better fan than others.

vCash
    I know- I'm terrible because I point out we had a losing season. I'm probably going to be terrible this Fall when we end up 6-6

We have no kicker
    CB depth is suspect

Our WRs will be about as good as we've had historically, which isn't terribly bad. Our LBs & DBs will be very good. Our DL will be fine and our K will be improved (which isn't saying much). And our OL will be decent enough for a run first offense. And by the way, our QB and RBs will be great! 8-4 and possibly 9-3... which is historically fantastic!!
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    More exploding heads from the "Dan can do no wrong" side than the other. I don't think that's what you were referring to in your OP. My biggest "issue" is that we have yet another of these stupid ass threads pitting our owns fans against one another, where you get to yet again post some nonsense suggesting you are a better fan than others.
    Good lord man. Go get a beer, or six.

vCash

We have no kicker
    CB depth is suspect

That's not terrible at all. I agree with most of that. 7-5, maybe 8-4.