Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just don't think ole Cord Sandberg is going to make it at baseball

vCash
    Got an inside source on the BlueClaws(Phillies A) and Cord is gonna try out Football if he doesnt make it in baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thedawg View Post
    The odds are firmly stacked against him ever doing it but yall sure are quick to discount him... He was Mr Football in Florida his senior year.. Go back and watch his film.. Hes also a grown man now that should be in great shape since you know hes been a professional athlete for the last four years... With our quarterback depth chart and the fact hes a free player in terms of scholarship I would think Mullen would do back flips if he wanted to come this fall... After two more years of Fitz he and Key could figure it out
    This ^^^^^

vCash
    I'm thoroughly surprised at all the people in this thread already saying Cord will never make it in football. I'm not predicting him to win a Heisman or get to the NFL, but Cord has every attribute needed to succeed at major college football.

He was insanely talented and played against great competition in FL.
    He has ALREADY learned the work ethic of a pro athlete.
    He will be significantly more mature than anyone on his college team.
    Someone mentioned he wouldn't be in shape in time.... the guy is already a pro athlete and would be in football shape in less than 6 months.

Y'all are crazy thinking he would never make it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaDawgs View Post
    Got an inside source on the BlueClaws(Phillies A) and Cord is gonna try out Football if he doesnt make it in baseball.
    We would have to release him if he were to play anywhere else on the D1 level

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Im sure he could sit a year and redshirt anywhere, but Im not sure why he wouldnt come here if we wanted him though.. Dak has let everyone see how good Mullen is and the year Fitz had last year has further cemented that. He picked us the first time and he came and hung out at bowl practice in St Petersburg. If he gives up baseball after this spring (which I admittedly have no idea where he is on that) I dont think its at all outside the realm of reality hes on our roster next fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Garrison brooks says that's no problem

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Pretty sure he has a guaranteed college education paid for by the phillies too
    This is true, but if he came to MSU, the LOI is still active which means we'd have to provide a scholarship for him out of our allotment (and therefore pay for his college). Phillies may still provide some additional stipend or something, I'm not sure. He can go to any school he wants and use the Phillies money, but he'd have to sit a year if that was anywhere other than MSU. Unless, of course, he pulls a Garrison Brooks and at that point all bets are off.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    I'm thoroughly surprised at all the people in this thread already saying Cord will never make it in football. I'm not predicting him to win a Heisman or get to the NFL, but Cord has every attribute needed to succeed at major college football.

He was insanely talented and played against great competition in FL.
    He has ALREADY learned the work ethic of a pro athlete.
    He will be significantly more mature than anyone on his college team.
    Someone mentioned he wouldn't be in shape in time.... the guy is already a pro athlete and would be in football shape in less than 6 months.

Y'all are crazy thinking he would never make it.
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Was every bit as hyped as Key when we signed him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    This is true, but if he came to MSU, the LOI is still active which means we'd have to provide a scholarship for him out of our allotment (and therefore pay for his college). Phillies may still provide some additional stipend or something, I'm not sure. He can go to any school he wants and use the Phillies money, but he'd have to sit a year if that was anywhere other than MSU. Unless, of course, he pulls a Garrison Brooks and at that point all bets are off.
    Surely the phillies were smart enough to say the value of the college education is capped at 8 semesters of tuition at miss state. If not, the kid could go to vandy or Stanford and really milk that deal

vCash
    Surely the phillies were smart enough to say the value of the college education is capped at 8 semesters of tuition at miss state. If not, the kid could go to vandy or Stanford and really milk that deal
    Free Masters degree or pay toward a Phd wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    It's for the cost of tuition at Mississippi State.

vCash
    I'd never turn down more competition. As said before he could bring maturity to the team. He might even help convince Simmons to stay all four years.... Nah!!! If Mullen wants him I want him.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    Cord Sandberg will never, ever, ever play QB (or any other position for that matter) at Mississippi State, so I personally couldn't care less about the yearly Cord Sandberg "Where is he now?" posts.
    I agree with this 100% Can we cut the "Cord" already?

Banned
    vCash
    I have no idea how it works. High school kids who don't sign with any college get the same deal all the time from whoever drafts them, so it would have to be a flat amount in those cases and not tied to the tuition rate at any school. But either way, if he comes to MSU, the university has to foot the bill and honor the LOI. What other money he gets is irrelevant, but I'm sure that the Phillies have an out that prevents them from having to cover the full costs if he's already got MSU giving him a scholarship. But if not, buoy for him.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    That's only 360k after taxes.
    Taxes take more than half of your signing bonus? That's ****ing absurd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thedawg View Post
    ... Hes also a grown man now that should be in great shape since you know hes been a professional athlete for the last four years...
    Baseball shape is waaaaayyyyyy different than football shape. You ever see professional athlete's Cecil Fielder or Bartolo Colon play?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Baseball shape is waaaaayyyyyy different than football shape. You ever see professional athlete's Cecil Fielder or Bartolo Colon play?
    or Vince Wilfork or Jared Lorenzen or BJ Raji

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    or Vince Wilfork or Jared Lorenzen or BJ Raji
    You listed two nose tackles and an anomaly QB Jared Lorenzen. Nice try.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I don't know what Cord's future is but I know he & Mullen still communicate on a pretty regular basis.

vCash
    OKKKKKKK
    Last edited by Dawg-gone-dawgs; 04-27-2017 at 01:38 PM.