Thread: Oklahoma law to let universities sue rogue boosters

vCash

Oklahoma law to let universities sue rogue boosters

Starting on November 1st, universities in Oklahoma will be able to sue rogue boosters and agents whose actions lead to penalties and other economic losses against schools due to NCAA violations, according to the Oklahoman. "For example, if a booster gives cash to a student athlete in violation of NCAA rules and the NCAA fines the university, a court could order the booster to pay damages to the school." It would be easier to handle this sort of thing in civil court than to have to prove a criminal case against an unregistered agent.

While I'm not always fond of litigation as a solution to problems, I don't think this is a bad idea, especially after seeing numerous discussions on this board about disassociated boosters who are proud of having provided improper benefits. That said, given how Mississippi is such a small state that operate mores on the good ole boy system at times than the rule of law, I have doubts that a similar law would've had enough of an effect on all the "heppin'."
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    Precursor to Feds taking over NCAA?

vCash
    Are you considered a rouge booster if the head coach is in the room with you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
    That is the rub. These boosters will tell the school to go ahead and sue me and I'll out every coach on your payroll that I was involved with and bring down your whole program.

vCash
    Welp, that stinks for Hack.

vCash
    Oklahoma must want to suck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    That is the rub. These boosters will tell the school to go ahead and sue me and I'll out every coach on your payroll that I was involved with and bring down your whole program.
    Yep. Any school dumb enough to sue will get whats coming to them.

vCash
    Suing boosters is unlikely to happen. There are better ways to manage booster activities through both positive and negative reinforcement.

Rogue agents would be a different matter. Mississippi passed a new stricter agent law in 2011.

I don't recall any agents being charged in the Tunsil deal. I wonder if any agents have ever been charged under the new law.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...w-requirem.pdf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
    Good question. Are you considered a rouge booster if the head coach or his staffers orchestrates meetings, transportation, meals, lodging between a booster and a recruit?

If the institution fails to monitor the activities of their own coaches, asst athletic directors, etc. and they associate together with a booster in a common effort to acquire the signature of a recruit....then how can the booster involve be considered rouge?

If the employees of the program/school are complicit and seek out the assistance of a booster to entice or gain access to a recruit and his family, then the booster can't be acting on his own and therefore can't be labeled rouge.

vCash
    I wouldn't think that there would be boosters that aren't doing it under the guidance and direction of the coaches. After all, most of them are doing it to garner the good graces of the ad dept.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    I wouldn't think that there would be boosters that aren't doing it under the guidance and direction of the coaches. After all, most of them are doing it to garner the good graces of the ad dept.
    Well, at what point do they turn "rouge?"

vCash

Sad day when OM Boosters are bragging....

Quote Originally Posted by AusTexDawg View Post
    Starting on November 1st, universities in Oklahoma will be able to sue rogue boosters and agents whose actions lead to penalties and other economic losses against schools due to NCAA violations, according to the Oklahoman. "For example, if a booster gives cash to a student athlete in violation of NCAA rules and the NCAA fines the university, a court could order the booster to pay damages to the school." It would be easier to handle this sort of thing in civil court than to have to prove a criminal case against an unregistered agent.

While I'm not always fond of litigation as a solution to problems, I don't think this is a bad idea, especially after seeing numerous discussions on this board about disassociated boosters who are proud of having provided improper benefits. That said, given how Mississippi is such a small state that operate mores on the good ole boy system at times than the rule of law, I have doubts that a similar law would've had enough of an effect on all the "heppin'."
    I had an OM booster tell me that this crap has been going on for over 50 years.... MOST of the "boosters" supplying money are trial lawyers who are just looking for the bragging rights.....

vCash
    UNM introduces bill to make gold statues of rogue boosters. Call it the "Walk of Shitbirds"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeDawg View Post
    Well, at what point do they turn "rouge?"
    Only if they get caught.