Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN

vCash
    I watch sports in part to get away from politics. Also their baseball coverage is a joke and MLB Network is far superior with their content as far as baseball goes. I'm sure the other networks that focus only on a certain sport hurt them as well as the other things mentioned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coackjek View Post
    I'm with you. No one can point at a single thing a say that is the reason ESPN is failing, it's a culmination of things. Personally people can point single things out and claim it for the reason they stopped. But claiming the PC angle is non-existent is like saying bowling is not a sport. You'll have people on both sides fighting it tooth and nail.
    I mean, it's a pretty clear answer. People are no longer paying for cable at nearly the rate they once were, and a huge majority of those cutting the cord do not watch sports.

So ESPN is no longer making tons of money off people who don't consume their product. That's a pretty cut-and-dry answer.

There may be a handful of people saying, 'I don't like them, they're too liberal,' but do you honestly think those people are cutting out their entire cable package and not watching live sporting events because of it?

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Hate to break it to you but everything isn't a PC culture war against you.
    no bigger example of victim culture than the Right's interpretation of other's rights & views that have no effect on their personal lives as a personal attack.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    The rise of websites to deliver the content is also because of the decline of ESPN and their decision to cater to the fringe instead of what built them. There is a demand out there that is anything but ESPN, just like some of the news networks. I won't let my kids just watch ESPN without it being a certain sporting event because of the garbage that's there, the exact same reason we don't watch news networks.
    enjoy your safe space

Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    There's truth in pretty much all of these answers. Add them all up, and there you are. And I can tell you for a fact that I quit watching ESPN aND visiting their site due to their biases (Lib and OM). Plus the whole Colin Kap thing (I also lost 90% of my interest in NFL over this). You can deny it all you want, but it's a real thing. Ask Starbucks.
    Yes, glad we can all agree Kapernick should have been more politically correct instead of expressing his politically incorrect views

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    Agree 110%, but you must admit... ESPN has become pretty "snowflakey"
    the only snowflakes I see are the ones melting b/c their outdated source of sports information forces them to acknowledge the fact that straight white males aren't the only ones that represent American Sports. Women have opinions on basketball, gay dudes play football, illegal immigrants are baseball stars, people don't feel patriotic when they see their tax dollars paying for administrative leave for someone who just killed an unarmed citizen. Ignoring it and being constantly offended doesn't make it go away.

/

aside from the UCONN win & 2014 rise to #1 I haven't watched ESPN since the mid-2000s - not b/c I give ashit who or what they put on tv but b/c I can watch live sports & get real-time updates via an app & watch highlights on Twitter 30 seconds after they happen.

vCash
    http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-o...ffs-1794664091

All that phony mess. "Thank you ESPN for the great years." "Thank you ESPN for letting me pursue my passion" "Thank you ESPN for all the friends and colleagues I've made." "Moving on to the next chapter" Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Be real guys and tell'em to get 17ed.

Man, I'm angry today. Glad I have a place to vent and then have people tell me how dumb I sound. Thanks EliteDawgs!
    Last edited by SaintDawg; 04-26-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    All of us in this thread will watch ESPN and their networks when it's a sporting event we want to watch and that won't change no matter who is announcing the games or hosting SportsCenter at 10am. During the day most of us work and aren't watching daytime tv so ESPN caters more to the crowd that is watching tv during those hours and that means catering to people that watch soap operas, Ellen, Steve Harvey Show, Dr. Phil and Jerry Springer type shows. These people watching daytime First Take and Stephen A. Smith are just bored and need some energy and fire from their TV so yes they like yelling and arguing and talking about racism and domestic violence and a bunch of shit none of us really want to talk about most of the time. Again ESPN will get our dollars regardless so they cater to dumb ass shady people who are craving drama. They basically turn ESPN into Facebook with a sports twist during non-prime time.

vCash
    Won't miss Danny Kannell at all. Hate it for long timers like Werder and jayson Stark both of which I always liked

vCash
    Can at least rejoice in Danny Kannell getting the boot? He is absolutely atrocious.

vCash
    I just saw a list. The only two I knew who they were were Danny Kannel (VERY good riddance) and Len Elmore. I watch a ton of sports but I only watch the actual games for the most part. I would rather watch cricket than watch Sports Center. I've always been that way though. The only one of their shows I ever watch regularly is Gameday, and then basically just to watch Corso and Kirk's picks. I will watch a 30 for 30 every once and a while.

vCash
    Wish they'd fire Jessica Mendoza too and I may watch some Sunday night baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    All of us in this thread will watch ESPN and their networks when it's a sporting event we want to watch and that won't change no matter who is announcing the games or hosting SportsCenter at 10am. During the day most of us work and aren't watching daytime tv so ESPN caters more to the crowd that is watching tv during those hours and that means catering to people that watch soap operas, Ellen, Steve Harvey Show, Dr. Phil and Jerry Springer type shows. These people watching daytime First Take and Stephen A. Smith are just bored and need some energy and fire from their TV so yes they like yelling and arguing and talking about racism and domestic violence and a bunch of shit none of us really want to talk about most of the time. Again ESPN will get our dollars regardless so they cater to dumb ass shady people who are craving drama. They basically turn ESPN into Facebook with a sports twist during non-prime time.
    Largely agree. And they should have kept schilling then. Put him with Stephen A or jemele hill. Natural disagreement and drama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    Wish they'd fire Jessica Mendoza too and I may watch some Sunday night baseball.
    She's the most knowledgeable person in that booth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE View Post
    no bigger example of victim culture than the Right's interpretation of other's rights & views that have no effect on their personal lives as a personal attack.

enjoy your safe space

Yes, glad we can all agree Kapernick should have been more politically correct instead of expressing his politically incorrect views

the only snowflakes I see are the ones melting b/c their outdated source of sports information forces them to acknowledge the fact that straight white males aren't the only ones that represent American Sports. Women have opinions on basketball, gay dudes play football, illegal immigrants are baseball stars, people don't feel patriotic when they see their tax dollars paying for administrative leave for someone who just killed an unarmed citizen. Ignoring it and being constantly offended doesn't make it go away.

/

aside from the UCONN win & 2014 rise to #1 I haven't watched ESPN since the mid-2000s - not b/c I give ashit who or what they put on tv but b/c I can watch live sports & get real-time updates via an app & watch highlights on Twitter 30 seconds after they happen.
    ESPN is obviously in a shit-ton of trouble because they lost you and you are apparently their target audience.

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    ESPN is obviously in a shit-ton of trouble because they lost you and you are apparently their target audience.
    Don't forget I got the #1 cable news show taken off air too. Single-handedly taking down the fake news MSM. Thank me later

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Is there still time to shitcan that 4 hour show on the SECN that involves a dik with ears and mouth breathing callers?

vCash
    What will be interesting is when the NEXT big television contract for a sports entity or league occurs -- whether its the NFL, NBA, MLB, SEC, etc, will the new contract be more than the previous one was valued at?

Nascar already took a hit and it's a shit performer. The Longhorn network is a crap performer that you know ESPN wishes they never entered into.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Largely agree. And they should have kept schilling then. Put him with Stephen A or jemele hill. Natural disagreement and drama.
    this is actually a brilliant idea but I wouldn't pick Schilling. Definitely a white conservative male that doesn't care to speak his mind and say shit all the liberals will hate and pair him with Stephen A. **** your name is long Smith would be epic TV. Bill O'Reilly is looking for a job. Can you imagine the shitstorm those two would start

vCash
    Good article by Clay Travis explaining the problem.
    http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/es...s-today-042617

Article by ESPN saying they will continue to bury their head in the sand. The comments are really good.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/p...-move-for-espn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    this is actually a brilliant idea but I wouldn't pick Schilling. Definitely a white conservative male that doesn't care to speak his mind and say shit all the liberals will hate and pair him with Stephen A. **** your name is long Smith would be epic TV. Bill O'Reilly is looking for a job. Can you imagine the shitstorm those two would start
    Bill actually had Stephen A on the factor several times in the last year and it was a good, respectful debate. Good tv for sure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Good article by Clay Travis explaining the problem.
    http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/es...s-today-042617

Article by ESPN saying they will continue to bury their head in the sand. The comments are really good.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/p...-move-for-espn
    Yes the Clay Travis article is exactly right, and the second article from espn just proves it. They are doubling down on the leftist agenda and they will lose just like the presidential race. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

It's funny just here on this small message board how many people say they will not watch espn anymore because of them pushing the left crap, yet you STILL have the 2 or 3 with their heads in the sand saying that it's a tiny percentage. It's not, it's a large percentage, the NFL numbers this season show the exact same thing. You people with heads in the sand are the small percentage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Yes the Clay Travis article is exactly right, and the second article from espn just proves it. They are doubling down on the leftist agenda and they will lose just like the presidential race. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

It's funny just here on this small message board how many people say they will not watch espn anymore because of them pushing the left crap, yet you STILL have the 2 or 3 with their heads in the sand saying that it's a tiny percentage. It's not, it's a large percentage, the NFL numbers this season show the exact same thing. You people with heads in the sand are the small percentage.
    I don't agree with ESPN's politics for the most part, but I also don't really care about them because I don't watch ESPN outside of live sports. Most people over 25 don't. In fact, I would venture to guess that the majority of people in this thread complaining about ESPN's politics don't really watch enough of it to notice and wouldn't watch regardless. They just see who the anchors are for the 6pm SC and get all up in arms.

And in the Clay Travis article, he says the politics aren't helping and may be speeding up the crash, but he also admits it is a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

Anyone who thinks ESPN would just be chugging along like always were it not that they lean left on political issues is insane.