Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN

vCash

ESPN

ESPN is laying off 100 people, including Ed Werder. They lay off legit reporters with perspective like Ed Werder while keeping PCs like Jemele Hill, yellers like Stephen A Smith, and offered millions to keep Skip Bayless last year.

I'm not sure I've seen an American business run themselves in the ground more by not understanding their demographic and playing in the political sand box as much as ESPN.

For someone that grew up watching the channel non stop, I now despise what they stand for.

vCash
    Catering hard to the instant gratification millenials and it has backfired. And I'm only 33.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Catering hard to the instant gratification millenials and it has backfired. And I'm only 33.
    Yup. The channel turned into pop culture diarrhea

vCash
    Same here. I'm 49 years old now. I used to watch espn non stop and the tv would stay on espn even when I wasn't watching. Now the only time I watch it is during football games and other MSU events.

vCash
    And the bad thing is ESPN is a controlling factor in college sports, especially football.

vCash
    Just look at the popularity of cable news or much of talk radio to see why they would want to keep folks like Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless. Apparently, folks like people yelling back and forth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTexDawg View Post
    Just look at the popularity of cable news or much of talk radio to see why they would want to keep folks like Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless. Apparently, folks like people yelling back and forth.
    Exactly. This is the fault of viewers, who give those shows ratings and have proven they don't care at all about legit reporting from people like Werder.

ESPN understands their demographic just fine. As is always the case, they are making moves to cut costs while supporting their revenue drivers. They are a business, they're not going to get rid of the people making them more money.

vCash
    That's what happens when you mix politics and sports. That silly shit with Caitlyn/Bruce "Look At Me" Jenner and the ESPYs was icing on the cake. They're doing what all failing companies do and it will lead to their ruin. They are attempting to satisfy the small groups who want this and that and are crying the loudest and complaining while running off the main people who made them what they are. This is to make ESPN appear politically correct and say "See? We have something for everyone." Sports needs to stay sports, period. And it doesn't need to include the LBGTQ/OBGYN/LSMFT population. Nobody cares who you sleep with. Nobody cares who you marry. If your an athlete, be an athlete. Don't make it a platform to force your views and get media channels to pander to you. Keep the shit separate, like church and state.

vCash
    Hate to break it to you but everything isn't a PC culture war against you.

The decline of ESPN has more to do with the rise of the web and websites. You used to depend on ESPN to know scores and stats and what happened in a game but now you can just click to a website and get the highlights you want to see when you want to see it.

You used to have to watch sportscenter and wait for that 10 sec clip. And then they just played SC on a loop all day long until 6pm and have a new episode.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post

The decline of ESPN has more to do with the rise of the web and websites. You used to depend on ESPN to know scores and stats and what happened in a game but now you can just click to a website and get the highlights you want to see when you want to see it.

You used to have to watch sportscenter and wait for that 10 sec clip. And then they just played SC on a loop all day long until 6pm and have a new episode.
    That, and the fact that more and more people are cutting the cord on cable. Sports fans will almost all continue to pay for cable because of the live sporting events, but it is the non-sports fans who don't care about ESPN, and because you paid for ESPN with your cable package whether you wanted it or not, that is where their losses are showing up.

It has virtually nothing to do with any politics.

vCash

The rise of websites to deliver the content is also because of the decline of ESPN and their decision to cater to the fringe instead of what built them. There is a demand out there that is anything but ESPN, just like some of the news networks. I won't let my kids just watch ESPN without it being a certain sporting event because of the garbage that's there, the exact same reason we don't watch news networks.

vCash
    Inevitable given where the network is headquartered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    The rise of websites to deliver the content is also because of the decline of ESPN and their decision to cater to the fringe instead of what built them. There is a demand out there that is anything but ESPN, just like some of the news networks. I won't let my kids just watch ESPN without it being a certain sporting event because of the garbage that's there, the exact same reason we don't watch news networks.
    It really isn't. ESPN still gives you all the scores and information they've ever given. It's just the reality of a world in which you can receive score updates and highlights on your phone in real-time. No one is choosing to use Fox Sports for their scores and highlights because ESPN is too liberal.

I mean, their rise that culminated in utter domination of the sports world happened while their most prominent employee was freaking Keith Olbermann.

vCash
    ESPN is cratering because they overpaid for their content. Everything else is a result of that. They misjudged the top $ value of sports content. They assumed they could pay whatever they wanted and people would just accept their cable bills continuing to rise. Once it was possible for people to say no without losing all television entertainment, they did so.

The left wing "silly shit with Caitlyn/Bruce "Look At Me" Jenner and the ESPYs was icing on the cake". Furthermore, when the CEO of your company is more concerned with his political/presidential run rather than the company that employs him, the company suffers.

vCash

Agree 110%, but you must admit... ESPN has become pretty "snowflakey"

vCash
    There's truth in pretty much all of these answers. Add them all up, and there you are. And I can tell you for a fact that I quit watching ESPN aND visiting their site due to their biases (Lib and OM). Plus the whole Colin Kap thing (I also lost 90% of my interest in NFL over this). You can deny it all you want, but it's a real thing. Ask Starbucks.

vCash
    If all the PC snowflake stuff is causing ESPN to fail, how come Fox Sports still continues to flounder? This is all about an overall economic model beginning to fail (cable/sat tv)combined with ridiculous contracts (for broadcast rights and "on air talent" coming home to roost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    There's truth in pretty much all of these answers. Add them all up, and there you are. And I can tell you for a fact that I quit watching ESPN aND visiting their site due to their biases (Lib and OM). Plus the whole Colin Kap thing (I also lost 90% of my interest in NFL over this). You can deny it all you want, but it's a real thing. Ask Starbucks.
    I'm with you. No one can point at a single thing a say that is the reason ESPN is failing, it's a culmination of things. Personally people can point single things out and claim it for the reason they stopped. But claiming the PC angle is non-existent is like saying bowling is not a sport. You'll have people on both sides fighting it tooth and nail.

vCash
    The costs involved with cable/sat tv are going to kill lots of media. People are cutting the cord. Also, ESPN has gone so political, that they've lost another large segment of viewers that don't give a damn about politics and quite frankly are tired of hearing about it. Stick to sports. The top shows are just about always ballgames, followed by Pardon the Interruption and Around the Horn. Occasionally a 30 for 30 will score high in the ratings.
    Sportscenter sucks. Most of the talk shows suck. Stephen A's show First Take, down 35%.

vCash
    Political partisanship may be costing them a small %, but it's the ability to see everything on your phone immediately that makes SC irrelevant in today's world.