Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR OT: Dale Jr. Retiring at end of 2017 Season

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

NASCAR OT: Dale Jr. Retiring at end of 2017 Season

It's official. After the health scare last year, it seems that Dale Jr. is going to hang up the helmet after this season. An era is going to be ending. Question is, who will take his place?
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    It's official. After the health scare last year, it seems that Dale Jr. is going to hang up the helmet after this season. An era is going to be ending. Question is, who will take his place?
    Pick any of the nuts that drive on I 55 , put a helmet on them, and tell them to turn left.

vCash
    He was good but it wasn't like he is Jeff Gordon or Jimmy Johnson. I really don't keep up with Nascar that much but he didn't win very much, just every now and then. If he didn't have the name then he wouldn't be as popular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    He was good but it wasn't like he is Jeff Gordon or Jimmy Johnson. I really don't keep up with Nascar that much but he didn't win very much, just every now and then. If he didn't have the name then he wouldn't be as popular.
    I agree. He has been great for the sport due to who he is. Very average driver.

vCash
    I was a big NASCAR fan in the 80s and 90s. Dale, Jr was very good at the lower levels of racing but never really was consistent at the Sprint Cup level. Possible that his father's death affected him. The sport isn't as exciting as it once was.

vCash
    Never lived up to his deddy's legacy (dip spit)

vCash
    One of the most overhyped NASCAR drivers of all times... I was a huge, huge fan of his dad's and even a fan of his, but the truth is he never lived up to the hype.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugdog View Post
    Pick any of the nuts that drive on I 55 , put a helmet on them, and tell them to turn left.
    Or drivers from Texas on I-20.

vCash
    I was a huge Earnhardt fan. After he died, I wasn't sure I would even continue watching nascar. I did, and still do, and Jr. has been my favorite driver all this time. Although I never enjoyed watching as much as I did when Earnhardt was racing, Jr. was/is a great guy to be a fan of. I'm not sure what living up to the hype means, as only becoming the best driver ever would've been better than what his dad did. Jr never won any championships, but he had several wins and was in contention for the championship on multiple occasions. He was definitely more than an average driver, but probably not great either. He has had a good career. He has 26 wins, 149 top 5s, and is arguably the best restrictor plate racer of all time. At the least, he drastically changed how others have to race at Talledega and Daytona due to his knowledge and understanding of the draft.

vCash
    It could have something to do with his father's death, he's too cautious & doesn't take the necessary risk that the great drivers take. As far as pure natural driving ability, he's got that, just drives too scared.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    Or drivers from Texas on I-20.
    Atlanta right now is more off road right now but it would definitely be a good training ground for Nascar.

vCash
    Hendrick Motorsports and Jimmie Johnson drove me away from NASCAR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tireddawg View Post
    It could have something to do with his father's death, he's too cautious & doesn't take the necessary risk that the great drivers take. As far as pure natural driving ability, he's got that, just drives too scared.
    Can't blame him after the way his dad died and then his concussion problems. It is actually pretty ballsy to get in a car from that experience. He could have just went into the business side of things and no one would have blamed him.

Banned
    vCash
    "Got wrasslin' on the VCR at home, a fresh can of skoal, and a big ass Mountain Dew. Headed to the race track!!!!" I hate NASCAR. I have no clue why anyone would want to watch that for like four hours. Its just people going around and around in circles. Really. That's it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    "Got wrasslin' on the VCR at home, a fresh can of skoal, and a big ass Mountain Dew. Headed to the race track!!!!" I hate NASCAR. I have no clue why anyone would want to watch that for like four hours. Its just people going around and around in circles. Really. That's it.
    I personally have never watched an entire race but to each his own.

vCash
    Ha wow...generalize much?

There's nothing better than putting on NASCAR or Golf on a Sunday afternoon and taking a nap.

vCash

There's nothing better than putting on NASCAR or Golf on a Sunday afternoon and taking a nap.
    My uncle used to get Talladega tickets every year. My dad said he would go but he didn't like watching the race, just all the topless women.

Banned
    vCash

That was a generalization, true enough. I've just noticed that there are two camps on NASCAR: love it or hate it.

vCash

you just proved how horrible it is.. It puts you to sleep..

vCash
    That was a generalization, true enough. I've just noticed that there are two camps on NASCAR: love it or hate it.
    Reminds me of soccer. How anyone could possibly watch soccer outside of their kid's games is crazy to me.