Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a question, not a complaint

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Is this a serious question? I didn't see any ***. The amount of Quality golf courses around Atlanta, and the history of GA Tech (Bobby Jones), who started the Masters may have something to do with it. MSU is at a severe disadvantage when it comes to sports like golf, volleyball, soccer, etc. which are just not prevalent at many small high schools in MS.
    Tishomingo County only has 1 course in it and the course isn't good. Belmont actually played on the course in Red Bay, Alabama which isn't that good either. You have to drive to Tupelo to play on something better than a goat farm.

vCash
    I don't follow our golf team either. That being said, I would assume our women's team would be at the same disadvantage and yet they usually compete pretty good don't they? Or did we just have one good year?

As for Ga Tech, they have so many kids to pull from. If I had to guess there are probably more highschool kids in the Atlanta metro area than our entire state just about. Kind of off topic but that is why I don't understand how UGA continuously underachieves in every sport. They should be competitive in every major men's sport year in and year out and yet they suck. How their baseball program isn't going to the CWS every other year blows my mind with the amount of baseball talent in the area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    I don't follow our golf team either. That being said, I would assume our women's team would be at the same disadvantage and yet they usually compete pretty good don't they? Or did we just have one good year?

As for Ga Tech, they have so many kids to pull from. If I had to guess there are probably more highschool kids in the Atlanta metro area than our entire state just about. Kind of off topic but that is why I don't understand how UGA continuously underachieves in every sport. They should be competitive in every major men's sport year in and year out and yet they suck. How their baseball program isn't going to the CWS every other year blows my mind with the amount of baseball talent in the area.
    Seems like UGA just didn't care at all prior to Polk going there. I think when Polk started they only had like 75 season ticket holders. It was basically on par with USM including the facilities. How they won a National Title in 1990 is amazing with the amount of effort they put into it.

vCash
    Davis Riley from Hattiesburg also plays at Bama. There are actually a good number of really good junior golfers in this state, and have been the past few years. Thornberry at OM is really good. Kid from Tupelo who went to Mizzouri is really good. Homan was just lazy on recruiting front.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmabull View Post
    Davis Riley from Hattiesburg also plays at Bama. There are actually a good number of really good junior golfers in this state, and have been the past few years. Thornberry at OM is really good. Kid from Tupelo who went to Mizzouri is really good. Homan was just lazy on recruiting front.
    Yep we have the kids to compete, they just aren't at State for the most part. I don't know if he is there yet or not but there was a good player from Meridian committed to GT a couple years ago. Should be a freshman or sophomore there now. From what I can tell State doesn't even have decent golf camps this summer for juniors, boys or girls. Also the Mississippi Junior Golf Association is not very good. I think we might have one tournament on the coast, but have a lot of players. Unless you want to go to Jackson or anywhere north of I20 during the middle of the week all summer long, good luck playing in the MS junior tournaments. It's not set up right now for every kid in MS to compete.

vCash
    For top level junior golfers, the MS Junior Golf Association is irrelevant. Top level players are playing regional and national tournaments. Unfortunately, junior golf in general is not set up for every kid to compete from a tournament perspective. What's more important IMO is having very good junior golf programs with instructors that really know what they are doing throughout the state. Again, unfortunately, it's hard to have really good junior golf instructors at courses throughout the state when the majority of golf courses are struggling just to stay open.

vCash
    For top level junior golfers, the MS Junior Golf Association is irrelevant. Top level players are playing regional and national tournaments. Unfortunately, junior golf in general is not set up for every kid to compete from a tournament perspective. What's more important IMO is having very good junior golf programs with instructors that really know what they are doing throughout the state. Again, unfortunately, it's hard to have really good junior golf instructors at courses throughout the state when the majority of golf courses are struggling just to stay open.
    MJGA is irrelevant once the top level players are at the top level. But to get there they need to be able to play in local MS junior tournaments, and MJGA events are simply barely accessible unless you live in Jackson or north of Jackson. The MJGA is irrelevant because it's set up has made it irrelevant and there is no good competition there. Why? Because only half the state can participate.

vCash
    I understand what you are saying, but MS golf tournaments in general don't get the same fields they did 20 years ago once you get away from Jackson. Just look at the field for this weekend's state 4 ball.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    It's funny how people are talking about how lazy the coach was in recruiting. A co-workers son plays at Caledonia and has gotten calls from Bama, Ole Miss, and Auburn and . State, won't even give him call, much less drive 45 minutes to watch him play.

vCash
    Be surprised if Cohen doesn't go after Sean Covich at West Va. Meridian native , State grad, an former asst at State
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    I understand what you are saying, but MS golf tournaments in general don't get the same fields they did 20 years ago once you get away from Jackson. Just look at the field for this weekend's state 4 ball.
    If you're talking about the adult tournament at Hattiesburg that's not the same thing. I'm talking junior golf. They would get the numbers on the coast but they aren't even trying from what I've seen. That leads kids to have to travel to Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia to play tournaments.

vCash
    Oklahoma State University has 10 golf National Championships - Not a typo - I said 10

They are based out of Stillwater, Ok where the biggest draw is a Burger restaurant (Eskimo Joes) The weather is nasty hot or nasty cold. The school colors are the worst in the NCAA. The school is basically A&M with token liberal arts departments

On this basis of comparison , we are horrible underachievers
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 04-27-2017 at 02:33 AM.