Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a question, not a complaint

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash

Just a question, not a complaint

I'm not trying to get the coach fired here....matter of fact, I don't even know who the coach is. But my question is, why is our men's golf team so bad?

And again, I don't even keep up with them....they may have won the SEC last year, I don't know. But I would think with the PGA program we have, the use of Old Waverly, and I remember reading about a new facility being built last year or two for them to practice indoors ....you would think we'd have a pretty good program. And again, we may and just had a bad year this year, I don't know.

But I was watching SEC network talking about the just completed SEC tourney and saw where we finished dead last. So, that led to my question.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/l...team&tid=12754

vCash
    C'mon man! We were ONLY 48 shots off the lead**

vCash
    I don't know for sure but it seems to me that PGM and playing on the golf team would be mutually exclusive due to the time commitments involved. If that's true, the PGM program would actually hurt us competitively rather than help us since the majority of collegiate-level golfers coming through any given year would most likely be here for PGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    I'm not trying to get the coach fired here....matter of fact, I don't even know who the coach is. But my question is, why is our men's golf team so bad?

And again, I don't even keep up with them....they may have won the SEC last year, I don't know. But I would think with the PGA program we have, the use of Old Waverly, and I remember reading about a new facility being built last year or two for them to practice indoors ....you would think we'd have a pretty good program. And again, we may and just had a bad year this year, I don't know.

But I was watching SEC network talking about the just completed SEC tourney and saw where we finished dead last. So, that led to my question.

Because our coach is a hell of a lot better player than he is a recruiter. If there is one sport than is 99% dependent on recruiting, it's golf.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    There might be 2 or 3 PGM majors that could make our golf team. If a kid is good enough to play collegiate golf, even if it's DII, they're going to go play DII golf before they're going to come to State for PGM. We did have 1 player on our team 25 years ago that was a PGM major. Can't recall his name but he was a hustler on the course. Remember him always playing with a roll of green LifeSavers in his pocket. Funny how the ball always stood up for him.

Banned
    vCash
    Gotta sign future pros if you wanna beat future pros and the SEC is littered with future pros. I am guessing we don't have much of a recruiting budget for golf and there is maybe 1 player a year good enough to play SEC golf that comes outta MS. Maybe 1. The weather is too hot, the sport isn't popular enough in the smallest state in the SEC and the courses aren't good enough to produce consistent high school talent so the coach is forced to recruit outta state and outta country to get equal talent.

vCash
    agreed! our coach would rather play in the State Am and try to win it than recruit... His personality is nada..... have met him several times..... a couple of good kids from Madison area are on the team and they take all their lessons from a great guy named Dave Cowger... he was the pro at CCJ and Annandale... has his own studio in Ridgeland... big Gold Ping fitter... put his has put several players... both girls and boys in scholorships across the SouthEast....

He gives a shit because its is business and reputation.... our coach could care less about their growth..and play his own tournaments and keep that state retirement building...
    Last edited by Reunion Dog; 04-24-2017 at 09:10 PM.

vCash
    Homan retired today. hmmmm.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Finley View Post
    Homan retired today. hmmmm.
    Yeah, I made a call to the intense b and asked him since nobody seemed to know. He was unaware that we finished last. Told me to hold on a minute, but after about 10 minutes I had to go. Now you're telling me this. Wow*.

vCash
    Yeah, I made a call to the intense b and asked him since nobody seemed to know. He was unaware that we finished last. Told me to hold on a minute, but after about 10 minutes I had to go. Now you're telling me this. Wow*.
    Yes, well played. Rep given

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Gotta sign future pros if you wanna beat future pros and the SEC is littered with future pros. I am guessing we don't have much of a recruiting budget for golf and there is maybe 1 player a year good enough to play SEC golf that comes outta MS. Maybe 1. The weather is too hot, the sport isn't popular enough in the smallest state in the SEC and the courses aren't good enough to produce consistent high school talent so the coach is forced to recruit outta state and outta country to get equal talent.
    Georgia Tech has several PGA tour members. How do they do it? So do several other schools.

Banned
    vCash
    Didn't I once read once where there were just a handful of colleges that offered the complete golf education? Things may have changed. We were one of them. Looks like someone's slacking.
    Last edited by Bully13; 04-25-2017 at 07:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Georgia Tech has several PGA tour members. How do they do it? So do several other schools.
    Is this a serious question? I didn't see any ***. The amount of Quality golf courses around Atlanta, and the history of GA Tech (Bobby Jones), who started the Masters may have something to do with it. MSU is at a severe disadvantage when it comes to sports like golf, volleyball, soccer, etc. which are just not prevalent at many small high schools in MS.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    The state of Georgia is much larger population wise, has much better courses on average, has much better year round weather for golf and Georgia Tech has a lengthy successful golf program. You try playing 4-6 hours a day of golf in Mississippi during the summer and tell me why we fail to pull in the same players that the top programs do. Then consider we have probably almost zero money for recruiting. If we are going to be good at golf we are going to have to recruit almost strictly out of country golfers. That requires more money for recruiting. Maybe Vic can send us a couple while he is recruiting Australia.

vCash
    Man was looking for this thread, didn't think it would be so close to the top. Nice call Lumpy and thank goodness. Our men's team couldn't be much worse than it is now. This could be a big hire for Cohen.

vCash
    If I remember right you only need to be about an 8 handicap to be a PGM major. I think you had to go break 80 a few times a semester. No biggie.

PGM has nothing to to with SEC or NCAA golf.

vCash
    Mississippi weather is not what's holding us back in recruiting. It's just as hot in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville and Gainesville in August as it is in Mississippi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post

Meh. I disagree with the lack of talent and how it's too hot reasons. Do agree with recruiting budget and somewhat with the courses.

We have at least 4 this year that are D1 talent. Wilson Furr and Charlie Miller are two off the top of my head. I think there's one more from Prep that is going to ole miss and another from south MS that is D1 bound somewhere.

Wilson Furr is going to Alabama.

vCash
    I assume Sean Covich will get a hard look.

http://www.wvusports.com/staffDirect...85&sport=mgolf

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

Careful you might get attacked by the Board police if your not positive about every subject...