Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Mullen Ranked #2 Coach in SEC

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

Dan Mullen Ranked #2 Coach in SEC

At least according to this guy who ranked all coaches from SEC and ACC together.

http://www.postandcourier.com/column...54134caaa.html
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Fake news. Freeze too far down the list.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    At least according to this guy who ranked all coaches from SEC and ACC together.

I think #21 is still too high for Freeze. I wouldnt put him in the top 50. Without cheating he aint s*#^.

vCash
    Well that's all nice.. but then you go on to see Eddie O at #4 in SEC... uh ok..

vCash
    To me the worst part about this list is that the ACC has such better coaches than the SEC. We have better hoops coaches now top to bottom than we do football coaches.

I guess that's good for us though
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 04-24-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    Interesting. When you really think about it, I wonder how many of our fans would trade Mullen for any other coach in the league other than Saban. It's hard to think of one that would be a unanimous choice if that was doable. I couldn't think of another other than Saban that makes sense. I don't know if thats more of an indictment of the current coaching talent in the league or a huge praise of Mullen. Maybe a little bit of both.

My hierarchy on "would I trade Mullen for........"

Hell no: Freeze, Mason, Muschamp, Stoops, and Odom.

Solid no: Bielema, Sumlin, Malzahn, and Butch.

Don't know enough to judge, but "no" until proven otherwise: Smart, Orgeron

Maybe (but lean "no"): McElwain (although I feel his ceiling is about the same as Mullen....good mind / motivator but not a strong recruiter)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    To me the worst part about this list is that the ACC has such better coaches than the SEC. We have better hoops coaches now top to bottom than we do football coaches.

I guess that's good for us though
    Really it's the saban-effect. He's screwed up the expectations at the top tier programs so much that successful coaches are considered failures because they aren't having saban-like success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Really it's the saban-effect. He's screwed up the expectations at the top tier programs so much that successful coaches are considered failures because they aren't having saban-like success.
    ^^^THIS^^^

SEC coaching is weaker than it has been in the recent past, but it's still strong. Saban is Saban. Malzahn has struggled some managing a program, but he's still a top tier coach. Put him in another conference where he isn't tested as much and he probably looks more like Dabo did before this year. Mullen is the same. He certainly has some weaknesses, but is with the group outside of outside of basically Saban, Urban, Dabo, and Jimbo Fisher and maybe a few others. Sumlin is similarly a good but not great coach that would probably be competing for conference championships elsewhere. Beliema was a top Big 10 coach that can't get over the hump in Arkansas. Granted O looks weak and Freeze doesn't look good, but that's still a solid roster of coaches. The east has definitely been slumping for a while, with a past his prime SPurrier, a revolving door at UT, a topped out Richt, Muschamp at UF. The east is still somewhat weak, but McElwain and Smart both look promising, Butch Jones is at least dangerous on occasion if overall pretty weak. Maybe Muschamp and Mason are figuring things out enough to at least be competent/solid.

vCash
    I think Saban is far and away the best coach in the SEC and rest of the country.

I also think Mullen is a very solid #2 in the SEC.

vCash
    SEC head coaching jobs are great jobs that are awful for your long term coaching career.

- Unrealistic expectations

- Saban

- Coaches that cheat their ass off like Freeze and Butch

- Feeling like you have to bend your values, integrity, and character to be successful.

Sure you make good money but everything else is miserable
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Mullen is a great coach. Period. Don't forget what he inherited at State. Not many coaches could have done what he did. Put Mullen at an Alabama, Florida State, or Georgia where recruiting is automatically on a different level and he would be every bit what other coaches are or better. Yes, he would piss off his fanbase for toting Hev with him but he would be consistently 10-2 and 9-3 at least.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Interesting. When you really think about it, I wonder how many of our fans would trade Mullen for any other coach in the league other than Saban. It's hard to think of one that would be a unanimous choice if that was doable. I couldn't think of another other than Saban that makes sense. I don't know if thats more of an indictment of the current coaching talent in the league or a huge praise of Mullen. Maybe a little bit of both.

My hierarchy on "would I trade Mullen for........"

Hell no: Freeze, Mason, Muschamp, Stoops, and Odom.

Solid no: Bielema, Sumlin, Malzahn, and Butch.

Don't know enough to judge, but "no" until proven otherwise: Smart, Orgeron

Maybe (but lean "no"): McElwain (although I feel his ceiling is about the same as Mullen....good mind / motivator but not a strong recruiter)
    Pretty much agree with this, but I'd actually put Bert closer to McElwain. I think Bert would actually be a better fit at MSU than Arkansas. Still would rather have Mullen but if Mullen left tomorrow, I think I'd take a coin flip between McElwain and Bert and might would prefer Bert. Some of that is thinking highly of Bert and some of that is thinking a little less of McElwain than most people probably do.

I'd also put Butch further down. Not as bad as the first group, but still to me noticeably worse than Sumlin and Malzahn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Pretty much agree with this, but I'd actually put Bert closer to McElwain. I think Bert would actually be a better fit at MSU than Arkansas. Still would rather have Mullen but if Mullen left tomorrow, I think I'd take a coin flip between McElwain and Bert and might would prefer Bert. Some of that is thinking highly of Bert and some of that is thinking a little less of McElwain than most people probably do.

I'd also put Butch further down. Not as bad as the first group, but still to me noticeably worse than Sumlin and Malzahn.
    Well, you actually think more of McElwain than I do. I don't think he's a bad coach, but he's just solid, nothing special.

He'll have Florida near Zook territory pretty soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Mullen is a great coach. Period. Don't forget what he inherited at State. Not many coaches could have done what he did. Put Mullen at an Alabama, Florida State, or Georgia where recruiting is automatically on a different level and he would be every bit what other coaches are or better. Yes, he would piss off his fanbase for toting Hev with him but he would be consistently 10-2 and 9-3 at least.
    Give Dan Mullen the 2nd stringers on defense/oline/dline from Saban's roster and MSU is a solid #2 team in the SECWest. Mullen is a great coach, give him more 4-5*'s and the whole country would see the proof.

vCash
    RP wants to replace with young aspiring coach.

vCash
    Mullen is a great coach. I think he's learned a lot over the past couple years. There's one more lesson I hope he learns concerning Hev though.

vCash
    Wow. That shocks me. Dan Mullen has to be able to manage the clock better and the roster better before I can agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmedlap View Post
    Wow. That shocks me. Dan Mullen has to be able to manage the clock better and the roster better before I can agree.
    Exactly, these are both pretty damn important and hold us back each year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmedlap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Exactly, these are both pretty damn important and hold us back each year.
    C'mon guys, is that really part of being a head coach? Y'all be being too tough on poor ole Dan. If he did those things he might have to relentlessly strain too much ***** He might would even have to relentlessly strain as much as Vic and Cann.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post

List is shit.... MDL way too low.....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17