Thread: North Georgia Trout Fishing Weekend

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

North Georgia Trout Fishing Weekend

I've made it back to civilization - or at least back to where cell phones work - after 4 days at a little piece of heaven.

About 10 miles outside Ellijay out GA 52, up Roy Road, off Old Bucktown Road, where county road maintenance ends and Forest Service paths begins, lies 114 acres owned by the same family since the 1890s. Tickinently Creek runs through those acres on its way to the Cartecay River. In the 1950s, the US Army Corps of Engineers added a flood control damn that created a 4 acre lake. I've been lucky enough to fish and hunt this property since I was 10, and have spent many a day and night in this virtual wilderness with a view of Springer Mountain. This past Thursday my Dad and I made the 7 hour drive together for my first trip up in 5 years. These weekends are mostly a group of my Dad and Uncle's friends between 65 and 70. They have all known each other since grade school. I'm one of the handful of "kids" that they allow on their trips.

We lost one of their crew 2 weeks ago when he was hit by a car while doing survey work for a road project. He was the father of one of my best friends since 6th grade (who happens to now be my brother in law) and a second father to me. We celebrated his life, and a few others, had some great meals, some pretty good whiskey, told lots of lies and tales of our youths, and enjoyed tremendous fishing. Only bad thing was I hit the Whistle Pig a little early Friday and forgot to get pic or our fish fry.

The guys are getting up in years, and I treasure every opportunity to spend time with a group who have shaped my life and helped make me the man I am.

Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 04-23-2017 at 08:35 PM.