Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Probably the best thing that Cann has done this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    They won't be ranked in the top 10, or at all, in the postseason, which is all that counts.

The real question is whether Smart coaches them in their low-level bowl game or if he's already fired by then
    Georgia wins at least 10 this Fall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Who knew smart was the secret to bama defenses. I always thought it was Saban
    I always thought it was the Red Elephant Club.

vCash
    I don't know how Cohen will do hiring for other sports but he's been damn impressive hiring baseball coaches. 3 of the current top 4 teams in the SEC have head coaches that have been hired by Cohen and the 4th has a pitching coach that has been hired by Cohen. Hopefully all his future hires are this successful.

vCash
    In 15 years, richt lost 4 regular season games 3 times and only 1 time was it 5
    Richt went 6-6 in 2010

4 of Richt's last 7 seasons Georgia lost 4 or more games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Richt went 6-6 in 2010

Yes, 2010 is the one season of Richt's 15 that was clearly worse than Smart's 2016. 2009 and 2013 are debatable (I would say 2009 was a little worse and 2013 much better) and the other 12 are inarguably better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Yeah, if you rank the last 16 seasons at Georgia (Richt was HC for 15 years), Smart's season was at best 13th, probably 15th.

Don't expect it to be any better in 2017. Richt left Smart a whole bunch of good recruiting classes, so it's not like 2016 was an aberration due to a lack of talent that wasn't Smart's fault
    They had a true freshman QB, a weak OL, and a young defense. They were 4th in Total D (5th in scoring) in the SEC and should be improved on D with all the starters returning- plus a 5-star DL add. Winner of the Georgia-Fla game wins the East this Fall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    8-4 at UGA is not the same as 8-4 at State.
    Actually it is for some people. We have some who bitch and complain if we go 8-4.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    I love revisionist history, and I'm not talking about the OP per say. The amount of bitching on this and other sites over not getting a HC to replace Cohen was everywhere. This is MSU baseball by God and if its not true that we were going to hire Corbin, then we made a terrible hire, etc., etc. Cann was a great hire and simply goes to show that you can hire a hot assistant instead of a proven/retread coach and be successful.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I'd like a piece of this action especially since we don't count bowl wins around here.

vCash
    I would love a friendly wager on this one. I think the over/under is 8.5 for Kirby and I'm taking the under.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I'd like a piece of this action especially since we don't count bowl wins around here.
    Excellent!

vCash
    Richt went 6-6 in 2010

Good catch... should've known that

As for last part, I thought you didn't count bowls... you counted 10-4 season in '11 with sec championship loss and bowl loss as 4-loss season

vCash
    Best thing about Cann..
    He is and WANTS to be a coach. He is a 100% baseball guy. He is all in. Cohen obviously wasn't and hadn't been all in as a coach for the last few years. Saying that probs to JC and his first Hire as AD in Cann.
    We upgraded the head coach position in baseball and as of now I will admit Cohen has been a very good hire as AD not to mention the hires that were made in football.
    We upgraded the AD position as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Best thing about Cann..
    He is and WANTS to be a coach. He is a 100% baseball guy. He is all in. Cohen obviously wasn't and hadn't been all in as a coach for the last few years. Saying that probs to JC and his first Hire as AD in Cann.
    We upgraded the head coach position in baseball and as of now I will admit Cohen has been a very good hire as AD not to mention the hires that were made in football.
    We upgraded the AD position as well.
    If one of our coaches isn't all in about MSU in any sport I want them gone. I'm glad Cohen is a lot more sensible about stepping down from baseball coach than his predecessor. I'm also glad he didn't leave the program in a flaming heap that had to be rebuilt.

Cohen rebuilt our baseball program and we should be thankful for that. I think Cannizaro will take us the last step. He had beyond exceeded my expectations. His growing pains as a coach I think were mostly due to not having been here for most of the fall and just not knowing quite what we had as a team. And now that he does know we've taken off.

vCash
    Richt went 6-6 in 2010

Bwahahaha. So postseason losses count against a coach record when it helps your argument, but bowl wins don't count for Mullen!? Geez 🙄

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Damn smart fired that's strong...Mullen to Georgia.
    I seen it, if Mullen has a good enough season to make him attractive to Georgia, the coaching job at MSU becomes very attractive.

Banned
    vCash
    Hiring a coach for MSU baseball is completely different than hiring one for MSU football. Apples to oranges

vCash
    Reading the thread title, I expected this thread to be about Cannizaro benching "Belmont" a couple games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    reminds me of last year when people around here were saying Gus was going to be fired and no way State would have a losing season...

vCash
    Good catch... should've known that

As for last part, I thought you didn't count bowls... you counted 10-4 season in '11 with sec championship loss and bowl loss as 4-loss season
    I dont count bowls for preseason predictions- no way to know who your bowl opponent will be. Big difference in playing Miami of Ohio and Oklahoma in a bowl