Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Probably the best thing that Cann has done this year

vCash

Probably the best thing that Cann has done this year

is show our fanbase that you can make the correct hire to replace a Coach at State before they absolutely wreck the program. The answer to every coaching thread is no longer "Rick Ray". Cann has shown that a John Cohen or a Dan Mullen can absolutely be replaced with someone as good or better when a sensible choice is made.

It's also shown that hiring up and coming SEC coaches is a good move. Georgia and Fla have gone this route for their football HC's and are having success as well. Auburn is as well. It's not fool-proof though as Muschamp failed at Fla- but he has gotten off to a good start SC.

Thanks Cann for killing the "Rick Ray" mantra of replacing a coach at State
    Last edited by Random Poster; 04-23-2017 at 10:15 AM.

vCash
    I missed the fire Mullen threads**

vCash

Archimedes
    vCash
    You are correct to a degree. But running a successful coach off makes hiring a up and comer harder. But I have 1000x more faith in cohen making a successful hire than I ever did of Strickland

vCash
    Surely you're not talking about Kirby Smart, who has been a massive bust so far and might get fired after we beat them in week 4?

vCash
    Part of this is the fact that Cohen did the hiring. He knew 100% who he wanted. He knew what we needed and what cann brought to the table. Having a successful coach, who was in that position so recently, making the hire was a big plus. Also, having Henderson, another Cohen hire, has made an immense difference in a lot of what we've seen from this team...not only on the pitching side. I'm sure his experience and success has been invaluable to cann.

Now...I do expect to still see some growing pains for cann but all in all I like the direction we're heading.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Surely you're not talking about Kirby Smart, who has been a massive bust so far and might get fired after we beat them in week 4?
    No- I'm talking about the Kirby Smart that took over a very young team and a true freshman QB- won his bowl game- signed a top 3 class- and will be ranked in the top 10 this preseason

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    is show our fanbase that you can make the correct hire to replace a Coach at State before they absolutely wreck the program. The answer to every coaching thread is no longer "Rick Ray". Cann has shown that a John Cohen or a Dan Mullen can absolutely be replaced with someone as good or better when a sensible choice is made.

It's also shown that hiring up and coming SEC coaches is a good move. Georgia and Fla have gone this route for their football HC's and are having success as well. Auburn is as well. It's not fool-proof though as Muschamp failed at Fla- but he has gotten off to a good start SC.

Good post. I do think the jury is still very much out on McIlwain and Smart though.

vCash
    No- I'm talking about the Kirby Smart that took over a very young team and a true freshman QB- won his bowl game- signed a top 3 class- and will be ranked in the top 10 this preseason
    I think Kirby is more Mullen than Saban - that's not a knock really, it's just a level set on expectations. I see him as an 8 - 4 coach this year, which is about what they had with Richt most years.

vCash

Besides us having no real idea that Smart or McElwain will be successful long-term...did Mullen himself not prove you can have success here hiring an up-and-comer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SDDawg View Post
    I think Kirby is more Mullen than Saban - that's not a knock really, it's just a level set on expectations. I see him as an 8 - 4 coach this year, which is about what they had with Richt most years.
    In 15 years, richt lost 4 regular season games 3 times and only 1 time was it 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SDDawg View Post
    8-4 at UGA is not the same as 8-4 at State.

vCash
    and might get fired after we beat them in week 4?
    Why? Because Mullen did so well against Kirby Smart defenses in the past?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    8-4 at UGA is not the same as 8-4 at State.
    10-2 at Georgia = 8-4 here

vCash
    Why? Because Mullen did so well against Kirby Smart defenses in the past?
    Who knew smart was the secret to bama defenses. I always thought it was Saban

vCash
    They won't be ranked in the top 10, or at all, in the postseason, which is all that counts.

The real question is whether Smart coaches them in their low-level bowl game or if he's already fired by then

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Damn smart fired that's strong...Mullen to Georgia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    In 15 years, richt lost 4 regular season games 3 times and only 1 time was it 5
    Yeah, if you rank the last 16 seasons at Georgia (Richt was HC for 15 years), Smart's season was at best 13th, probably 15th.

Don't expect it to be any better in 2017. Richt left Smart a whole bunch of good recruiting classes, so it's not like 2016 was an aberration due to a lack of talent that wasn't Smart's fault

vCash
    Yeah, if you rank the last 16 seasons at Georgia (Richt was HC for 15 years), Smart's season was at best 13th, probably 15th.

Don't expect it to be any better in 2017. Richt left Smart a whole bunch of good recruiting classes, so it's not like 2016 was an aberration due to a lack of talent that wasn't Smart's fault
    Ray Goff 2.0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Who knew smart was the secret to bama defenses. I always thought it was Saban
    Georgia is going to run the same exact D that Bama does. Smart was making the defensive calls.