Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Probably the best thing that Cann has done this year

vCash
    Cann has "WOW'd me".
    Vic has "WOW'd me".

Dan did ok in 2010 and came close to WOWing me in 2014. He still hasn't WOW'd me yet tho. Mostly due to all the accolades and his reputation as a hotshot offensive guru. I'm underwhelmed in that regard. 1 season in 8 doesn't live up to his lofty reputation.

ETA: Of course half this board was down on Cann earlier this year and Vic in first year maybe first couple with Vic. Such lofty expectations for 1st/2nd year coaches and such low expectations for our 8th year coach (we got the best coach money can buy while "we good losing 4 sec w games every year").

Same with Smart ... half board think he's gonna flop. I don't know if he will or won't, but he just got there. He needs a little time to get his system and players in place.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 04-23-2017 at 08:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    is show our fanbase that you can make the correct hire to replace a Coach at State before they absolutely wreck the program. The answer to every coaching thread is no longer "Rick Ray". Cann has shown that a John Cohen or a Dan Mullen can absolutely be replaced with someone as good or better when a sensible choice is made.

It's also shown that hiring up and coming SEC coaches is a good move. Georgia and Fla have gone this route for their football HC's and are having success as well. Auburn is as well. It's not fool-proof though as Muschamp failed at Fla- but he has gotten off to a good start SC.

Thanks Cann for killing the "Rick Ray" mantra of replacing a coach at State
    LOL. Muschamp went 6-7 last year.

vCash
    Some don't realize it is much more difficult for us to win in football than any other sport. Always has been, always will be. And to the OP's original point, I'm not saying we couldn't do better than Mullen. But I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the league sans saban.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Some don't realize it is much more difficult for us to win in football than any other sport. Always has been, always will be. And to the OP's original point, I'm not saying we couldn't do better than Mullen. But I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the league sans saban.
    I would probably agree on not trading Dan for any coach in the league other than Saban. I think the verdict is still out on Smart and McE tho.

But to speak to your "some don't realize it's more difficult point". You just made my point for me ... all the other coaches suck and we don't play McE or Smart (yet). When the opportunity has been there against those coaches who suck, negotiating contracts seemed more important to Dan. And I also believe the offensive numbers should be much better under Dan than they are.

ETA: When Vic got his ass handed to him ... he just went to work and kept doing so. Now we'll see how he handles success from here.

Cann was dealt about the crappiest hand this year you could be dealt with all the injuries. He didn't complain, he just figured it out. He doesn't seem to be about a litany of excuses like some of our coaches can be. What he's done is pretty much a miracle IMO.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 04-23-2017 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    Verdict is still out on smart. Not so much on McE.

vCash
    McE only been there 2 years ... and won the East both years. Maybe he won't turn out so hot ... but that's pretty good starting out.

ETA: There's those lofty expectations for 1st and 2nd year coaches again SMH.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 04-23-2017 at 09:58 PM.

vCash
    They had a true freshman QB, a weak OL, and a young defense. They were 4th in Total D (5th in scoring) in the SEC and should be improved on D with all the starters returning- plus a 5-star DL add. Winner of the Georgia-Fla game wins the East this Fall
    Winning the SEC east isnt saying a whole lot. Mizzou is trash, SC is coming up with Bentley but they arent ready yet, Vandy is Vandy and I'll buy into Tennessee being good again when I see it. UGA and UF wouldnt do diddly in the west. And dont even bring up UF beating LSU if Guice runs the right way on 3rd down and goal LSU wins. LSU is going to beat UF this year and UGA is gonna have its hands full with us and Auburn. We will beat UK (should have last year) and Alabama will skull drag whoever they see in the SECTG.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This whole thread is meant to show that hiring an up-and-comer can work at State.

Of course it can. Again, look at Mullen.
    agreed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    McE only been there 2 years ... and won the East both years. Maybe he won't turn out so hot ... but that's pretty good starting out.

ETA: There's those lofty expectations for 1st and 2nd year coaches again SMH.
    The east sucked both years. Has since 2010. It's why Bama beat the breaks of McE both years in SEC title game. McE will be solid and steady but he ain't winning like spurrier and Meyer did at fla.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    But to speak to your "some don't realize it's more difficult point". You just made my point for me ... all the other coaches suck and we don't play McE or Smart (yet). When the opportunity has been there against those coaches who suck, negotiating contracts seemed more important to Dan.

And I also believe the offensive numbers should be much better under Dan than they are.
    How long you gonna keep punishing Dan for looking around 2-3 years ago? Remember when he did Old Missus hadn't gotten into any hot water yet for their shady recruiting that landed them the #3 class. Wouldn't you get kinda fed up if your biggest rival was cheating their asses off and not getting into any trouble for it? That's changed now so Dan should be giddy to stay here and kick them while they are down plus we have priced him out of the market. He is ours and ours alone at $4.5 mill a year.

Dan owns every ****ing offensive record ever at MSU as a head coach. Be happy with that. His QB he developed starts for the Dallas Cowboys. Be happy with that. Our current QB is on the heisman watch list and led the entire country in yards the last 8 games. Be happy with that. To bitch about our offense and want more is kinda like bitching about Kate Upton's tits being slightly uneven.

vCash
    Eason will be a bust for UGA so if the #2 QB doesn't step up, Kirby's path to success may take a little longer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    How long you gonna keep punishing Dan for looking around 2-3 years ago? Remember when he did Old Missus hadn't gotten into any hot water yet for their shady recruiting that landed them the #3 class. Wouldn't you get kinda fed up if your biggest rival was cheating their asses off and not getting into any trouble for it? That's changed now so Dan should be giddy to stay here and kick them while they are down plus we have priced him out of the market. He is ours and ours alone at $4.5 mill a year.

Dan owns every ****ing offensive record ever at MSU as a head coach. Be happy with that. His QB he developed starts for the Dallas Cowboys. Be happy with that. Our current QB is on the heisman watch list and led the entire country in yards the last 8 games. Be happy with that. To bitch about our offense and want more is kinda like bitching about Kate Upton's tits being slightly uneven.
    I do think Dan was sick of the cheating and might have looked to get out of the SEC. I can't blame him. We got into more trouble for listening to Cam's dad than Auburn did for buying him out from under us. Then of course the whole spending spree UNM has been on buying whatever MSU commit they could at the deadline. It caused us to end up with our plan C or D rather than B. I think if Mullen wasn't the 15th highest paid coach or whatever he is then someone would have already gotten him. I think the last year he looks a little more energized. He has made some great coaching hires and has some great QBs with hopefully another coming next year. We are about to be QB U and that is big when it is the most important position on the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post

I bitch about how we underachieved in 15 and Mullen probably cost us a couple wins last year at least due to Holloway up the middle, keeping a ridiculous QB controversy going, and meddling in the defense after he hired a shit show of a DC

vCash
    Ha ha... Comparing us making a hire for our baseball program and making one for our football team is apples to oranges. One we actually have a pretty solid history in, the other has been a cellar dweller for the majority of our program's history. Mullen was a terrific hire, that being said, I don't know if Smart would have left Bama for State and I don't know if Mc would have been successful here. He has been alright at UF, not that impressive. IMO Mullen would have been a better hire for the UF job.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Covercorner2 View Post
    LOL. Muschamp went 6-7 last year.
    In the East, too. He is an awful coach and a very poor example of the original point of the post (which I do agree with).

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    I bitch about how we underachieved in 15 and Mullen probably cost us a couple wins last year at least due to Holloway up the middle, keeping a ridiculous QB controversy going, and meddling in the defense after he hired a shit show of a DC
    Mullen isn't perfect and we will never hire a perfect coach either

vCash
    Muschamp went 6-6 and got his team to a bowl game. Nobody expected SC to be bowl eligible. SC had a terrible roster that he is trying to recruit his way out of.

I keep hearing how weak the East is- yet we lost to an East team last year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Eason will be a bust for UGA so if the #2 QB doesn't step up, Kirby's path to success may take a little longer.
    If Eason is a bust- then what is Fitz? They had damn near identical passing stats

vCash
    is show our fanbase that you can make the correct hire to replace a Coach at State before they absolutely wreck the program. The answer to every coaching thread is no longer "Rick Ray". Cann has shown that a John Cohen or a Dan Mullen can absolutely be replaced with someone as good or better when a sensible choice is made.

It's also shown that hiring up and coming SEC coaches is a good move. Georgia and Fla have gone this route for their football HC's and are having success as well. Auburn is as well. It's not fool-proof though as Muschamp failed at Fla- but he has gotten off to a good start SC.

Thanks Cann for killing the "Rick Ray" mantra of replacing a coach at State
    I think the best thing Cann has done this year is take our baseball program, with a completely depleted pitching staff, and put them in 1st place in the SEC. Great coaching job.

vCash
    Muschamp went 6-6 and got his team to a bowl game. Nobody expected SC to be bowl eligible. SC had a terrible roster that he is trying to recruit his way out of.

I keep hearing how weak the East is- yet we lost to an East team last year
    I agree with you that muschamp overachieved last year. I actually think he will do okay at USCe.

But using us as a measuring stick to gauge last year's east? Come on. We were not good last year either, and still would prob have been fourth in the east had we played an east schedule.