Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alabama Post Series Thoughts

vCash
    Is it just me ? Do we run the bases like idiots? On the throw out stealing home, Why? You have one of your top player at the plate and you do that shit. I wonder did Jake do that on his on? Then 32, on the dropped pop up with 2 outs didn't run until the pitcher dropped it? Why was He not running immediately? Then ole 32 gets hit by a batted ball, come on . We need to run much smarter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Is it just me ? Do we run the bases like idiots? On the throw out stealing home, Why? You have one of your top player at the plate and you do that shit. I wonder did Jake do that on his on? Then 32, on the dropped pop up with 2 outs didn't run until the pitcher dropped it? Why was He not running immediately? Then ole 32 gets hit by a batted ball, come on . We need to run much smarter.
    I would have to say, yeah

We confuse being fast with being great base stealers

vCash
    Cann is a meddler, but not in the way Cohen was. Cann will go with his gut feeling on a situation. The bunt the other night/morning was reminiscent of Cohening though. Cann has quickly become a guy that these guys love to play for. Not overbearing like Cohen was. Giving Cyr the boot took the biggest balls in the history of college baseball, due to the lack of arms available compared to other teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    We do need to run the bases better at times however I think the umpire screwed up the call on the Mangum play you are talking about. If I'm correct about that I can't pin that on Cann.

Baserunning mistakes are sort of like an offensive linemen holding in football. You only notice it if it doesn't work but when the aggressiveness works it goes unnoticed. And when you are aggressive on the bases sometimes mistakes happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We do need to run the bases better at times however I think the umpire screwed up the call on the Mangum play you are talking about. If I'm correct about that I can't pin that on Cann.

Baserunning mistakes are sort of like an offensive linemen holding in football. You only notice it if it doesn't work but when the aggressiveness works it goes unnoticed. And when you are aggressive on the bases sometimes mistakes happen.

There is a difference in aggressive and stupid. Even if Jake was safe it was not smart. Not running on contact with bases loaded and two outs is just stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Totally agree with you on Mangum being safe. Replay Cleary showed no tag and Mangum pretty adamant no tag applied. My question is ( and I'm not picking on Coach) why did Cann not go out and try and get a review of it via video replay, thought you could do that on scoring plays, is there a penalty or something if you do and it's not over turned? If not why not take a shot at it, especially when your player is very sure he did not get tagged.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Cann is doing a great job... I'm extremely happy with him. That said, I don't understand why you guys think the difference from Cann to cohen is first in the sec to last in the sec. Is it not the grittiness of this team that's helping win games? Didn't Cohen put this team together? I think Henderson has played a huge role in this year also... did cohen not hire him? Again, I'm happy with Cann and think he's a HR, but don't see the reasoning behind running cohen in the ground. If Cann can hold on and win the sec this year, it'll be 2 in a row... you know we won it last year with cohen.

I know this post will be twisted into I'm anti-Cann, which is ridiculous...
    If there are any comparisons its just being amazed at what Cann has done with what he has had to work with this year, not a negative on Cohen. I'm certainly not going to run Cohen down, I loved Cohen and his desire to win and the improvement he brought to the program. With that said however, we saw Cohen coach some of his teams with the type of holes and lack of talent in places this current team has, and Cohen's results with those type teams weren't even close to what this current team is producing. Now its just one year, and maybe its just we are getting a ton of breaks to go with the good coaching from Cann and Henderson, but this current team is overachieving to a level well beyond any of Cohen's teams ever did IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpatrol View Post
    Totally agree with you on Mangum being safe. Replay Cleary showed no tag and Mangum pretty adamant no tag applied. My question is ( and I'm not picking on Coach) why did Cann not go out and try and get a review of it via video replay, thought you could do that on scoring plays, is there a penalty or something if you do and it's not over turned? If not why not take a shot at it, especially when your player is very sure he did not get tagged.
    Yep, kind of like the Houston football game in 09 where we lost because supposedly Lee threw the pass beyond the LOS (which he didn't). Why do our coaches never demand to having something reviewed like that or the Mangum play at the plate???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Yep, kind of like the Houston football game in 09 where we lost because supposedly Lee threw the pass beyond the LOS (which he didn't). Why do our coaches never demand to having something reviewed like that or the Mangum play at the plate???
    Could Mullen have gotten that reviewed back in 09? I know the review process is a ton better now than it was back then.

vCash
    If there are any comparisons its just being amazed at what Cann has done with what he has had to work with this year, not a negative on Cohen. I'm certainly not going to run Cohen down, I loved Cohen and his desire to win and the improvement he brought to the program. With that said however, we saw Cohen coach some of his teams with the type of holes and lack of talent in places this current team has, and Cohen's results with those type teams weren't even close to what this current team is producing. Now its just one year, and maybe its just we are getting a ton of breaks to go with the good coaching from Cann and Henderson, but this current team is overachieving to a level well beyond any of Cohen's teams ever did IMO.
    Yes it is.

vCash
    Certainly shaping up that way... I thought '11 was pretty impressive going on road and winning regional and coming dang close to taking down Florida in Gainesville

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Certainly shaping up that way... I thought '11 was pretty impressive going on road and winning regional and coming dang close to taking down Florida in Gainesville
    True, and I'm really just talking accomplishment during the regular season. Cohen did have teams (like '11 and even '13 to some degree) that were just pretty good during the regular season and then played really well in the post-season. I'm still not overly optimistic about our post-season chances with this current team but the way they defy logic, who knows?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Could Mullen have gotten that reviewed back in 09? I know the review process is a ton better now than it was back then.
    It was my understanding that he could have. I seem to remember lots of bitching and complaining on message boards after that game about the fact that we didn't challenge the play when we should have.

vCash
    True, and I'm really just talking accomplishment during the regular season. Cohen did have teams (like '11 and even '13 to some degree) that were just pretty good during the regular season and then played really well in the post-season. I'm still not overly optimistic about our post-season chances with this current team but the way they defy logic, who knows?
    Delete
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 04-24-2017 at 07:19 PM.