Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Post Series Thoughts

vCash

Alabama Post Series Thoughts

I don't know that I can say anymore than what has already been said. We all know what an incredible job Cann has done and we keep wondering how long this team can keep finding ways to win games. If I had to guess or try to explain it, I think Cann has a positive and winning attitude. But credit also has to go to the players because as a group I can tell that they are tough, scrappy, and hard working guys that do whatever it takes to win. It has been fun to see. And despite the caliber of team that Alabama has I don't think that there is any question that being in first place in the SEC speaks for itself.

Now, as I said the Alabama series always seems to have weird things happen whenever we play them. This year, it may have taken the cake. Especially game three. To go from being no hit to a NINE run inning to all of a sudden being down three in the 12th to tying it on a ball that should have been caught on the infield to winning the game on a ball that may or may not have hit one of our runners. The good thing about the weirdness is it allows us to have three days off in a row. And that's also a good thing about us scheduling so many games on the front end. Over the next four weeks we only have two midweek games- one after the three day break. That's going to help this team out a lot.

Pilkington has to command and attack the strike zone better so he can go deeper into games. That would help us out a lot. Billingsley struggled too. Cole Gordon had a good game aside from one inning and that seems to be typical for him. I think Peyton Plumlee, Trysten Barlow, and who would have thought Brant Blaylock look like they are going to be effective guys for us. Self was lights out and Price was very good- and I hope his rolled ankle isn't too bad. Getting Ashcraft back would help us out some as well because he can give us an inning or two and he should be back pretty soon. Cann has mostly made the right moves- but he probably could have made game three a lot less interesting by bringing in Price sooner.

Lovelady has been solid all year but I wish he would frame our pitches a little bit better sometimes. Skelton hasn't played much but he stepped up big time in game three with a couple of doubles and RBI's. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more playing time the last four weekends.

Rooker struggled and I think some of that was because Mangum struggled ahead of him. I might consider dropping him down to three or four and let Brown and or Gridley hit in front him in the lineup because the only time he is going to see pitches is when runners are on base. Stovall was very good this weekend hitting .385 with a double. He may very well be the best 9 hole hitter in the SEC if not the country. LA sat but then he ended up being one of the heros of game three with a home run and then driving in the winning run off of Vansau's shoe. Sitting might be what he needed to do to get re-focused. At the same time, I thought Bragg played pretty well and he drove in the game winning run in game one going opposite field. If LA and Bragg can both get going it's going to make us a lot better. Gridley played very well also and chipped in four singles and was solid and steady at SS all weekend as he usually is.

Mangum struggled the first game but I think he might be coming out of it a little bit by the end of the series and he ended up hitting .250 with 3 RBI's. If he would keep the same approach at the plate and just be more patient he might set a MSU record for batting average. It has to be tough playing through a broken hand too. Cody Brown and Tanner Poole really stole the show. Brown hit .487 with a couple of doubles and his diving play in game one was HUGE because it basically prevented what would have been the tying run to score based on what the other hitters in the inning did. Poole really picked it up hitting .587 and he had a double that I thought was a home run but it just hit right below the top of the fence. I'll be interested to see how he does the second half of the SEC season. Vansau and MacNamee didn't hit like Poole and Brown but they still did some good things as Vansau got on to keep the 13th inning rally going and MacNamee had 3 RBI's on the weekend.

One thing that I saw that I liked was we stole 8 bases and I thought we did a good job with the bunting game of putting pressure on them. Now if we can start to get our power cranked back up we'll be in really good shape. Not that we aren't right now overall. And on that note- don't worry about how good or bad our opponents are. I know our fans don't intend to do it- but when you talk about how bad the other team is you're also putting down our team and what they did. That goes for any sport. Also don't worry about RPI. I think we're at 18 so that's good for us. If we win the SEC Championship or finish in second we're going to be a National Seed. Remember the committee doesn't just look at RPI- they look at a number of things. If you win the SEC even if your RPI is 30 (probably unlikely that a SEC champ would win the SEC with a RPI that low- but just stay with me) the fact that you won the SEC is going to carry a lot of weight. They also look at SOS and we're good there too. My guess is if we win 18 SEC games we're probably hosting unless it's something crazy like we sweep Georgia and then win only two other SEC games. Even if we do that - it still may be good enough to host. We probably need to win 21 to win the SEC unless Auburn and/or Arkansas get really hot.

Next up is the Governor's Cup. I'll answer the question everyone wants to know- we're going to be in the first base dugout. Jackson is a MSU town and we need to be out there in full force supporting our Dogs. Even though as we all know it doesn't count in the SEC standings it's Ole Miss and I want to beat them in everything. It's also important because it will help our RPI and if we win it will look good on our resume and it could help us vault into the National Seed discussion. I know that I have said this before but I have been to every Governor's Cup game since 1985. So, it's pretty special to me. I have some good memories of watching that game with my Dad and watching Ron Polk get ejected right in front of us. I expect a better effort out of our team than the last Tuesday game we played- but based on this weekend I'm not too worried about that because I think Cann has straightened that out. We'll throw a lot of pitchers and my guess is we'll probably either start Plumlee, Ashcraft if he's healthy or possibly McQuary. I'll see y'all there. I'll be wearing the maroon MSU t-shirt and the MSU hat surrounded by a bunch of hot girls. You won't miss me.

Hail State

vCash
    I suspect we lose the Governors Cup for the same reason we lose mid week games. I don't see us losing another weekend series. we are now starting to get hits from the middle of the line up and our pitching is good enough to keep us in games until their pitcher has a bad inning. This is the most opportunistic group of hitters we have had in a long time. Those other guys better not give our guys a opening. Just try no to bite all your nails off during the game waiting.Justin Cox
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 04-22-2017 at 08:24 PM.

vCash
    You definitely have to be patient with this team because we're going to give up some runs because of the pitching situation. But at least they usually find a way to win. I'd like to win games 16-0 but I'll take 6-5, 5-4 with the guys we have right now. It counts just as much as 16-0.

vCash
    I tell ya, this baseball team is the damndest thing I've ever seen. I promise you, if we win the SEC Title, we'll all look back in 10 years and give the shruggie emoticon about how it happened.

An SEC Title is an SEC title and they all count the same in the record books and on your finger, but, if this team wins the SEC Title, I think it's pretty safe to say they may be the worst SEC Championship team in the past 30 years of the conference.

Alabama has won a many national titles and SEC in football when they weren't very good either, so it doesn't matter, but it is what it is.

What's going on out there is a got damn magic show.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 04-22-2017 at 08:50 PM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Just a question, would Tim Corbin be in 1st place in the SEC with the same players and injuries?

My humble opinion, hell no!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I tell ya, this baseball team is the damndest thing I've ever seen. I promise you, if we win the SEC Title, we'll all look back in 10 years and give the shruggie emoticon about how it happened.

An SEC Title is an SEC title and they all count the same in the record books and on your finger, but, if this team wins the SEC Title, I think it's pretty safe to say they may be the worst SEC Championship team in the past 30 years of the conference.

Alabama has won a many national titles and SEC in football when they weren't very good either, so it doesn't matter, but it is what it is.

What's going on out there is a got damn magic show.
    I remember some people calling the 2006 Cardinals the worst team to ever win the World Series. I still enjoyed the hell out of it. Especially after losing in 85, 87, and 04 with arguably the best teams in baseball those years and probably better than the 06 team.

So if we're the worst team to ever win the SEC, I'll enjoy the hell out of it too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Just a question, would Tim Corbin be in 1st place in the SEC with the same players and injuries?

My humble opinion, hell no!
    I agree. And to be honest if Cohen was our coach I think we would be headed for a losing season possibly. And I like Cohen and think he was a good coach.

I think the difference between Cann and Cohen is Cann's temperament. I think sometimes Cohen wanted to win so bad here he overdid it and just ran the team in the ground sometimes. Cann will still jump their ass and he'll pull guys if they aren't hustling if he needs to but he's still very positive and can push them to their limit and get guys over the hump. I think Henderson manages a pitching staff a LOT better than Wes did. He may or may not be as good of a coach but he rarely leaves guys in too long. That's a big key too.

Banned
    vCash
    Another outstanding post. I really enjoy reading these Todd.

vCash
    Thanks Matt! Knock it out of the park at church tomorrow!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree. And to be honest if Cohen was our coach I think we would be headed for a losing season possibly. .
    I agree. Can has made a difference in not only performance but decision making. Heck, what else COULD he do? He was handed a depleted team with ragged arms. Just imagine what he can do with a full staff....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree. And to be honest if Cohen was our coach I think we would be headed for a losing season possibly. And I like Cohen and think he was a good coach.

I think the difference between Cann and Cohen is Cann's temperament. I think sometimes Cohen wanted to win so bad here he overdid it and just ran the team in the ground sometimes. Cann will still jump their ass and he'll pull guys if they aren't hustling if he needs to but he's still very positive and can push them to their limit and get guys over the hump. I think Henderson manages a pitching staff a LOT better than Wes did. He may or may not be as good of a coach but he rarely leaves guys in too long. That's a big key too.
    I think there a good chance we would be damn close to the SEC cellar with Cohen coaching. And I like him too.

And every interview with Cohen as coach would be about all the injured arms and adversity that has come up.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 04-23-2017 at 07:42 AM.

vCash
    My post series thoughts:

We swept......I'm happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    My post series thoughts:

We swept......I'm happy.
    Agree, rep given.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I think there a good chance we would be damn close to the SEC cellar with Cohen coaching. And I like him too.

And every interview with Cohen as coach would be about all the injured arms and adversity that has come up.
    Cann is doing a great job... I'm extremely happy with him. That said, I don't understand why you guys think the difference from Cann to cohen is first in the sec to last in the sec. Is it not the grittiness of this team that's helping win games? Didn't Cohen put this team together? I think Henderson has played a huge role in this year also... did cohen not hire him? Again, I'm happy with Cann and think he's a HR, but don't see the reasoning behind running cohen in the ground. If Cann can hold on and win the sec this year, it'll be 2 in a row... you know we won it last year with cohen.

I know this post will be twisted into I'm anti-Cann, which is ridiculous...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Cann is doing a great job... I'm extremely happy with him. That said, I don't understand why you guys think the difference from Cann to cohen is first in the sec to last in the sec. Is it not the grittiness of this team that's helping win games? Didn't Cohen put this team together? I think Henderson has played a huge role in this year also... did cohen not hire him? Again, I'm happy with Cann and think he's a HR, but don't see the reasoning behind running cohen in the ground. If Cann can hold on and win the sec this year, it'll be 2 in a row... you know we won it last year with cohen.

I have nothing bad to say about Cohen, Cann or Henderson. I am really excited about the direction our baseball program is heading. Hopefully we can return to our 'glory days'.

vCash

Well I have to agree with you. Cohen was way more good than bad! He inherited a total mess, probably the worse in our baseball history.

Cann has done an awesome job, should be in the running for COY honors. It's only gonna get better.

Btw, I hope Cann will be able to keep Henderson, but I do wonder what Henderson is thinking about Cohen hiring him, then becomes AD and picks a coach w/o HC'ing experience. All I do know is Henderson has been really good handling a very tough situation with a depleted staff.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash

You're not anti Cann....you're anti really having an idea wtf you're talking about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    You're not anti Cann....you're anti really having an idea wtf you're talking about.
    Well Damn I seen it dawg, you made me feel dirty now, I suppose I will take a shower!

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Well Damn I seen it dawg, you made me feel dirty now, I suppose I will take a shower!
    Nah that was in general not just that post. There was some intelligible stuf in the post

vCash
    I compared Cann to Corbin, I think we are mid-level to last place with Corbin. Could you imagine Corbin going from 3 First-Round picks per SEC rotation to starting a backup 1st baseman, a center fielder, and Northwest CC's second best pitcher?

Plus, our players have majors and go to class. We don't have Xbox majors at MSU-Baseball (aka 95%undecided majors at Vandy)
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 04-23-2017 at 12:02 PM.