Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Game 3 vs Bama

vCash
    I know this game will be overlooked by most of the media, but most of us won't soon forget it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I know this game will be overlooked by most of the media, but most of us won't soon forget it.
    Amen to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Haha, I'll own it. This team never gives up and I was wrong giving up when I did. But in all honesty I was calling it a successful weekend when we won the series. Sweeping them to me was gravy. It does make our magic number to host that much more achievable. Glad we were able to get the sweep!
    Ha ha, yeah I can respect that, and yep sweeps are nice. Good job dawgs!

vCash
    My old ass stayed up till the end. My dogs were giving me dirty looks about keeping them up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    My old ass stayed up till the end. My dogs were giving me dirty looks about keeping them up.
    Get a Cat!

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It was the right call unfortunately. Ball didn't pop out until he went for the transfer.
    Wrong. Absolutely wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Wrong. Absolutely wrong
    Yea it was absolutely the wrong call. The tag knocked it loose.

Unbelievable win. I thought about cutting it off when we fell down 12-9 in the 11th (I think), but Canny just has me believing so much in the fight of this team, so I couldn't turn it off just in case..,,

So glad I didn't. I'll never forget that one. Such a fun sweep
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 04-22-2017 at 09:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Get a Cat!
    No way. They make you sneeze.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That seems pretty crazy to me because the guy on third probably would have scored with or without the ball hitting the runner. And on a ball that's hit in that situation the runner is going to be at least very conservatively 1/3 of the way home.
    That's a ridiculous rule because as soon as the runner saw the ball was hit on the ground, he was forced to go home!! Just because a base runner gets hit by the ball after the play has started shouldn't change that. Very stupid rule. Anyway, hailstate and great sweep

vCash
    I ran over to the Dark Horse after the 10th to get a couple of slices...came back and stayed till the end of the 12th. Figured I wouldn't get back to B'ham till sun up. Ended up rolling in at 3:50 this morning.

Edit: wish I'd a stayed 1 more inning.

vCash
    I went to bed actually after we went up 9-5 because I had to get up at 4:30 on Friday morning. The 9 run inning we had was wild enough but can't believe all that transpired afterward. Is there a replay on WatchESPN? I would love to see the last few innings.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    That's a ridiculous rule because as soon as the runner saw the ball was hit on the ground, he was forced to go home!! Just because a base runner gets hit by the ball after the play has started shouldn't change that. Very stupid rule. Anyway, hailstate and great sweep
    Yeah, I can't say I agree with it either. But the rules of baseball are older than time and I don't see them ever changing.

It does have at least some basis in practicality though. Say the bases are loaded and a sharp grounder is hit to the 3rd baseman who is playing close to the bag. If he steps on 3rd before throwing home, technically the runner on third can reverse course and head back to the bag to avoid the play at the plate with no harm done (which he could not do if the 3rd baseman did not step on the bag). The same concept applies to middle outs recorded at any other base. It just doesn't happen very often in live ball situations because the runners who are forced along often have to commit to taking the base before realizing if they are truly a force out or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Yeah, I can't say I agree with it either. But the rules of baseball are older than time and I don't see them ever changing.

It does have at least some basis in practicality though. Say the bases are loaded and a sharp grounder is hit to the 3rd baseman who is playing close to the bag. If he steps on 3rd before throwing home, technically the runner on third can reverse course and head back to the bag to avoid the play at the plate with no harm done (which he could not do if the 3rd baseman did not step on the bag). The same concept applies to middle outs recorded at any other base. It just doesn't happen very often in live ball situations because the runners who are forced along often have to commit to taking the base before realizing if they are truly a force out or not.
    With as crappy as SEC Umps are, I could have seen them say yes it hit our guy and still say to count the runner going home and it would have ended the game anyway. But then again, this was the same ump that missed several calls early in the game including not seeing that the Bama second baseman bobbled the ball so our guy should have been safe rather then out. That cost us a big time run scoring opportunity. In other words he was consistently bad. 99.9% of the breaks this weekend went Bama's way. This one just happened to be the best break which went ours. Karma in other words went in our favor and that is baseball sometimes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post

I have no problem with a guy touching the bag to unforce a runner. At least the runner in that situation has a choice of what to do. In our situation our runner on third would have had no choice if they said the ball hit our runner on second. In my opinion, if the ball hits a runner it should just stay a live ball and be played out with the ump calling the baserunner out who got hit by the ball. Let the play just continue on and be played out. No rule should take the winning run away from a team on a play like last night.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    I have no problem with a guy touching the bag to unforce a runner. At least the runner in that situation has a choice of what to do. In our situation our runner on third would have had no choice if they said the ball hit our runner on second. In my opinion, if the ball hits a runner it should just stay a live ball and be played out with the ump calling the baserunner out who got hit by the ball. Let the play just continue on and be played out. No rule should take the winning run away from a team on a play like last night.
    That opens up a can of worms though. What if its a line drive that hits a runner, bounces in the air, and is caught by an infielder before it his the ground? Do existing runners have to tag like with a pop fly? Under the current rule, the batter is automatically awarded 1st base unless he is the runner that is hit. Do you take that stipulation away when you play it out, and if so do you call him out under the scenario above? Pretty big butterfly effect to any changes to that rule as it stands (as with just about any baseball rule).