Thread: What if Hugh Green had joined Cooks, Keys, Collins and the rest?

vCash

What if Hugh Green had joined Cooks, Keys, Collins and the rest?

vCash
    Just think what ole miss could have done with a three day signing period around Christmas during the height of their cheating period. Well they are probably still cheating but it has been pulled back a good bit.

vCash
    Hey Rick, back in the 70's I was coaching in Natchez, I had a close friend who was the offensive coordinator for North Natchez. Back then they were a power house and where loaded with talent. Anyway my buddy who was a Msu graduate, use to being game film home of there games played on Friday. He and I would watch for hours great players like Hugh Green, Danny Knight, James Berry and several others. Also, I had a very close friend who was an Oklahoma alumni and he use to pick up Barry Switzer who was recruiting James Berry (ended up going to Tn, stayed hurt most of his career). Man the story I could tell one recruiting night while I was invited to dinner with my friend's family, James Berry, Switzer and one of the Selmon (great story teller he was) brothers who was an assistant at Oklahoma. Man the coaches who use to visit and recruit Natchez in the 70's, met many.

Btw, great story, Hugh Green was unblockable at North Natchez as well as college and NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Hey Rick, back in the 70's I was coaching in Natchez, I had a close friend who was the offensive coordinator for North Natchez. Back then they were a power house and where loaded with talent. Anyway my buddy who was a Msu graduate, use to being game film home of there games played on Friday. He and I would watch for hours great players like Hugh Green, Danny Knight, James Berry and several others. Also, I had a very close friend who was an Oklahoma alumni and he use to pick up Barry Switzer who was recruiting James Berry (ended up going to Tn, stayed hurt most of his career). Man the story I could tell one recruiting night while I was invited to dinner with my friend's family, James Berry, Switzer and one of the Selmon (great story teller he was) brothers who was an assistant at Oklahoma. Man the coaches who use to visit and recruit Natchez in the 70's, met many.

Btw, great story, Hugh Green was unblockable at North Natchez as well as college and NFL.
    Just think.....we had Hugh Green AND Rooster Jones (from the Coast, I think) until JWS came to town....woulda, coulda, shoulda....
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Even without Green that was a helluva defense.

vCash
    They would've needed to recruit and sign Michael Woods to get Hugh Green to MSU. They both went to Pitt together
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." James "Mad Dog" Mattis, General/USMC August 2006

vCash
    And can you believe Pitt had Hugh Green on one side of the line and Rickey Jackson on the other. Jackson, in my opinion, is the greatest player in Saints history. He was out of Pahokee, Fla.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Even without Green that was a helluva defense.
    Yeah, but think what we could have had if Sherrill had not entered the picture and persuaded them to go to Pittsburgh. Tyler was doing a great job recruiting and we would have had a powerhouse. I didn't like it when we hired Sherrill because of him "swiping" our recruits. I forgave him somewhat, however, when we miraculously won the SECW in '98, but I was never particularly fond of him.

vCash
    Imagine if Jackie had been our coach in 1976. We probably land all of those recruits. It sounds like Rooster Jones would have been a beast in the wishbone along with Haddix. I wonder if Billy Jackson would have started if we had Hugh Green? I would have been tempted to start Green at OLB but he could certainly do either.

vCash

I played at Meridian back in the early 80's and I believe it was North Natchez that ran the Old Notre Dame box offense. Nobody else ran that and it was heck to stop. Reminds me a lot of the modern spread accept in the ND box you never knew who the snap was going to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I played at Meridian back in the early 80's and I believe it was North Natchez that ran the Old Notre Dame box offense. Nobody else ran that and it was heck to stop. Reminds me a lot of the modern spread accept in the ND box you never knew who the snap was going to.
    That was South Natchez, Coached by Ed Reed.

vCash
    That was South Natchez, Coached by Ed Reed.
    I knew it was North or South, but my memory isn't what it used to be. lol