Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannizaro?????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Before injuries to Griffey, there was no comparison. I could name 10 better centerfielders than Jones just off the top of my head. Braves fans .........
    I think Mays made the best play in baseball history. Some of Griffey's were memorable too- like the time he broke his wrist making that catch in CF when he was with the Mariners. I honestly can't think of an Andruw Jones play that stands out to me. Edmonds arm wasn't as good- but he was a better player than Jones and he made some ridiculous plays. Trout is a great CF too. Torrii Hunter is great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    One thing I've learned from watching baseball is if the coaches don't get upset about a bang bang call it's probably because the coaches thought the umpire got it right.
    One thing I've learned coaching baseball is if you get on an ump, the next time there is a questionable call, he'll be more likely to call in your favor just to keep you off his a$$.

Or either toss you...but hey, its a mid-week game...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Let's hear em... is it just your eye test or can you back it up with actual stats?
    In no particular order:
    1. Mays
    2. Mantle
    3. Cobb
    4. Trout (will eventually be the greatest ever barring injury)
    5. Cool Pappa Bell
    6. Griffey
    7. DiMaggio
    8. Duke Snider (I debated this one)
    9. Beltran
    10. Speaker

I'd probably drop Andrew with a U around 15-20 maybe.

vCash
    msstate7, here you go again on a entirely different subject, this post wasn't about the Braves but yet you go into that energize bunny trot which keeps this post longer and longer. Plus you've said in at least 6 or 7 replies you didn't like Cann's decision last night then you go into the "WHAT IF" someone gets hurt, no one did!

Please someone get a block button.

vCash
    I think Mays made the best play in baseball history. Some of Griffey's were memorable too- like the time he broke his wrist making that catch in CF when he was with the Mariners. I honestly can't think of an Andruw Jones play that stands out to me. Edmonds arm wasn't as good- but he was a better player than Jones and he made some ridiculous plays. Trout is a great CF too. Torrii Hunter is great.
    Kiermaier and inciarte are best defensive CFs right now. I know, I know (haha) inciarte is a brave, but he is right below kiermaier

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Dawg View Post
    One thing I've learned coaching baseball is if you get on an ump, the next time there is a questionable call, he'll be more likely to call in your favor just to keep you off his a$$.

Or either toss you...but hey, its a mid-week game...
    Or sometimes you'll piss them off and then you won't get any calls. It just depends on the umpire.

vCash
    One thing I've learned from watching baseball is if the coaches don't get upset about a bang bang call it's probably because the coaches thought the umpire got it right.
    This. And fight the fights worth fighting. Or only if you've gotten hosed before. It's like bitching about balls and strikes after they guy missed one pitch. Gets you nowhere.

vCash
    If Cohen had done this people would lose their shit. If the players aren't giving their all then why are we 2nd in the league? It is tough to play at such a high level college baseball consistently. Maybe our guys were a little exhausted. Its mid season and he's gonna throw what few players he has under the bus? He'll lose all of them with that kind of shit. I like the Cann and think he is a great hitting coach but he also does seem to be a little short sighted. Maybe this will be a learning experience for both the players and the coach.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpatrol View Post
    Didn't miss it, coach quit on the team in the 7th inning by sending 4 pitchers to the plate in a 3 run game with 3 team swings left, I think this team has proven they don't give up with multiple comeback wins and righting the ship after the Arkansas sweep. Look I really hope and think Cannizarro wins many many games and championships here but last night was a coach throwing his team under the bus, on and off the field.It would be more understandable if they were 5-25 or last place in the SEC but that's not the case.
    He didn't quit on shit. You're ****ing lost.

vCash
    I think he's what I call a "pleaser".

You know- one of those "it's only a game, let's all have fun and show good sportsmanship and then if we lose we'll just all talk about how we're more classy than the other team" people. I can't stand those people personally.
    I'm on here saying try and win the game and your saying play everyone but I'm the one who is trying to please everyone. Plus best available hitters available were Gordon or Lovelady at least according to them being identified as position players. All I read before the season was Gordon can smash it and how we have to get him in the lineup, well put him up to bat over pitchers in a 3-0 game with 2 runners on and see if he can smash one then.

vCash
    Well, I hope this rant kept the OP from going the way of the dodo bird.

vCash
    The only people that think that Andruw Jones is best CF of all time are Braves homers.
    First, it's hilarious to see a Cardinals fan say something like this.

Second:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/p...-the-best-ever
    http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...w-jones-braves
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-de...e-credentials/
    http://www.gammonsdaily.com/is-andru...hall-of-famer/

Andruw Jones is underrated. He is the unquestioned best defensive CF of all-time, and in his prime he was flat out unbelievable there. If you don't know of any plays, it's because you never watched him. The spider-man catch is at least as good as Mays' over-the-shoulder catch, it just didn't come in the World Series. And part of Andruw's genius was that when you saw him have to really run down a catch but ultimately make it standing up, there is a good chance that no other CF in baseball history makes the play without laying out completely for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpatrol View Post
    I'm on here saying try and win the game and your saying play everyone but I'm the one who is trying to please everyone. Plus best available hitters available were Gordon or Lovelady at least according to them being identified as position players. All I read before the season was Gordon can smash it and how we have to get him in the lineup, well put him up to bat over pitchers in a 3-0 game with 2 runners on and see if he can smash one then.
    Where did I say "play everyone"? I said play the guys that are playing hard. We just so happened to have to empty the bench to do that and you didn't like it. It's pretty ironic that you don't want us to hit our Friday night guy but out Saturday night guy is OK? And I'm still fine with Cann resting Lovelady.

You are a "pleaser". You're all worried about the players about Cann throwing them under the bus- which he didn't do-, what the South Alabama fans thought and all of that other bullshit, and how someone "could have" gotten hurt and blaming Cann for it all the while not even realizing the THE REASON he did what he did was because the players weren't putting out an acceptable performance. And to me- honestly- it's disrespectful to the game of baseball to not play as hard as you can no matter who the opponent is. But none of that other crap that you're talking about matters. It would be real ****ing nice if you just let our coach handle this his way since that's what we're paying him to do not to mention so far he has done a pretty good job and he deserves at least a benefit of the doubt. A coach that has played in the Big Leagues and knows what kind of effort it takes to get there and be a pro- which you have zero concept of. If you put forth a half assed effort in MLB every night you're going to be riding a bus and playing for a team called the Baby Cakes or some crap like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Wizardry View Post
    If Cohen had done this people would lose their shit. If the players aren't giving their all then why are we 2nd in the league? It is tough to play at such a high level college baseball consistently. Maybe our guys were a little exhausted. Its mid season and he's gonna throw what few players he has under the bus? He'll lose all of them with that kind of shit. I like the Cann and think he is a great hitting coach but he also does seem to be a little short sighted. Maybe this will be a learning experience for both the players and the coach.
    No one is saying that they haven't given their all the entire year. Everyone IS saying- including the coach- that we didn't give our all last night and that's unacceptable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    First, it's hilarious to see a Cardinals fan say something like this.

Second:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/p...-the-best-ever
    http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...w-jones-braves
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-de...e-credentials/
    http://www.gammonsdaily.com/is-andru...hall-of-famer/

Andruw Jones is underrated. He is the unquestioned best defensive CF of all-time, and in his prime he was flat out unbelievable there. If you don't know of any plays, it's because you never watched him. The spider-man catch is at least as good as Mays' over-the-shoulder catch, it just didn't come in the World Series. And part of Andruw's genius was that when you saw him have to really run down a catch but ultimately make it standing up, there is a good chance that no other CF in baseball history makes the play without laying out completely for it.
    He's "underrated" because he was lazy. I've only seen him in person a few times. It's hilarious to see anyone say that any Andruw Jones catch ever was as good as Mays catch. Mays had to run almost 500 feet in the old Polo Grounds to make that catch and then he threw a strike from CF to prevent the runners from advancing. He's the best defensive center fielder of all time- if you're a Braves fan. Mays UZR would probably be better if he told the other OF's around him to play a little wider in the outfielder so that he could cover more ground.

vCash
    He's "underrated" because he was lazy. I've only seen him in person a few times. It's hilarious to see anyone say that any Andruw Jones catch ever was as good as Mays catch. Mays had to run almost 500 feet in the old Polo Grounds to make that catch and then he threw a strike from CF to prevent the runners from advancing. He's the best defensive center fielder of all time- if you're a Braves fan. Mays UZR would probably be better if he told the other OF's around him to play a little wider in the outfielder so that he could cover more ground.
    The fact that you think Mays' UZR could be lower because other OFs were too close to him pretty much says it all.

I gave you four links of mainstream sources who think Andruw is at the very least one of the top handful of CFs ever defensively.

And Andruw wasn't lazy. That is a reputation that he got because he acted nonchalant on routine plays and smiled a lot. You don't play the way he played if you're lazy. And if you do - if Andruw Jones really was lazy - he was still the greatest defensive OFer of all time. So you sure do think an awful lot of his natural ability.

500 feet...good gosh, man. How big do you think the Polo Grounds was?

vCash
    No one is saying that they haven't given their all the entire year. Everyone IS saying- including the coach- that we didn't give our all last night and that's unacceptable.
    This. It doesn't mean they don't care or haven't played hard but last night they didn't compete like Cann expects them to compete. What Cann did last night used to be common years ago. He challenged them they didn't respond last night so with his limited roster he tried to find some players who would compete. If these players have the heart that they've shown all year then they will be embarrassed by their performance last night and will take responsibility and get their crap wired tight again. Personally I love Canns old school approach.

vCash
    Where did I say "play everyone"? I said play the guys that are playing hard. We just so happened to have to empty the bench to do that and you didn't like it. It's pretty ironic that you don't want us to hit our Friday night guy but out Saturday night guy is OK? And I'm still fine with Cann resting Lovelady.

You are a "pleaser". You're all worried about the players about Cann throwing them under the bus- which he didn't do-, what the South Alabama fans thought and all of that other bullshit, and how someone "could have" gotten hurt and blaming Cann for it all the while not even realizing the THE REASON he did what he did was because the players weren't putting out an acceptable performance. And to me- honestly- it's disrespectful to the game of baseball to not play as hard as you can no matter who the opponent is. But none of that other crap that you're talking about matters. It would be real ****ing nice if you just let our coach handle this his way since that's what we're paying him to do not to mention so far he has done a pretty good job and he deserves at least a benefit of the doubt. A coach that has played in the Big Leagues and knows what kind of effort it takes to get there and be a pro- which you have zero concept of. If you put forth a half assed effort in MLB every night you're going to be riding a bus and playing for a team called the Baby Cakes or some crap like that.
    I think he has done a good job this season, questioned his decision to expose our Friday night ace and closer on an already short staff. And no coach should ever throw players under the bus, nor should players do that to the coach, should be handled in house amongst coaches and staff if there is an issue, just like the Gridley situation. I haven't attacked you personally and you don't anything about me or my background or what I know or don't know about the game of baseball or any other sport for that matter,. But I know what I see and I saw a coach waive the white flag last night in the 7th inning in a 3 run game.I'm not trying to please anyone, don't need to, just don't like conceding a game, if that's not what we did then I expect to see all those pitchers hitting tomorrow night, if they can hit and help us win games then great let's play them. All I am saying is let's play to win every game that's the ultimate goal of every collegiate sport. And truthfully would you rather have a healthy pilkington or gordon, if we had to choose, fortunately we don't have to.
    Last edited by Dawgpatrol; 04-19-2017 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The fact that you think Mays' UZR could be lower because other OFs were too close to him pretty much says it all.

I gave you four links of mainstream sources who think Andruw is at the very least one of the top handful of CFs ever defensively.

And Andruw wasn't lazy. That is a reputation that he got because he acted nonchalant on routine plays and smiled a lot. You don't play the way he played if you're lazy. And if you do - if Andruw Jones really was lazy - he was still the greatest defensive OFer of all time. So you sure do think an awful lot of his natural ability.

500 feet...good gosh, man. How big do you think the Polo Grounds was?
    Oh, OK excuse me I looked it up and the Polo Grounds were only 483 feet where Mays caught that ball instead of the 500. THAT is why that was such a great play. Learn your baseball history.

My point about Mays having the OF closer to them was because HE positioned them there where he made it easier on the team. That's actual baseball genius on his part. He could have made himself look better by spreading them out but he didn't do that. And another reason why defensive stats are somewhat unreliable.

He didn't have that reputation because he "smiled a lot". It's because he was out of shape most of his career and if Bobby Cox is pulling you out of a game for loafing, I'm going to side with Cox. And yes, I do think an awful lot of his natural ability. But because you have a lot of great natural ability it doesn't make you the greatest of all time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This. It doesn't mean they don't care or haven't played hard but last night they didn't compete like Cann expects them to compete. What Cann did last night used to be common years ago. He challenged them they didn't respond last night so with his limited roster he tried to find some players who would compete. If these players have the heart that they've shown all year then they will be embarrassed by their performance last night and will take responsibility and get their crap wired tight again. Personally I love Canns old school approach.
    Exactly. I think we have some fans that have trouble separating rec league ball with SEC baseball. Again- to quote my Dad- the further you go in baseball the more serious it gets. Our guys are one step away from pro baseball. And part of Cann's job is to teach them and get them ready for that. And I bet you all of our players to a man would agree with Cann and probably are embarrassed.