Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannizaro?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Not only did Cann address the situation with the players, NO ONE GOT HURT!

Stop the madness and move on!

vCash
    Coach, I'm not going to class today. As a matter of fact, I'm staying in bed. Scared if I get up I might twist an ankle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    Coach, I'm not going to class today. As a matter of fact, I'm staying in bed. Scared if I get up I might twist an ankle.
    Got nothing to do with twisted ankles everything to do with your Friday night guy getting plunked on the hand and breaking finger/s in an at bat for no apparent benefit. No need to take that risk for no benefit. You say it can't happen, ask our 2nd baseman how his hand is doing.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpatrol View Post
    You say it can't happen, ask our 2nd baseman how his hand is doing.
    I think this is the point people are making "It Didn't Happen". Could have happened? Sure but it didn't so there's no need to keep belaboring a point that didn't happen.

vCash
    Ok, I never post anything (normally just get on board to find info about our baseball team, scores etc) but after that debacle last night by our head baseball coach I could'nt just sit back and not question a whole lot of decisions on his part. First off, why in the world would you put 4 pitchers in a batters box to get potentially injured when the staff is already devastated with injury. Much less your Friday night starter and your closer, I wonder what our judgement of his coaching ability would be like this morning had Pilkington taken a pitch off his hand and broke a couple of fingers,. Bar none one of the dumbest coaching decisions I have ever witnessed by a head coach at such a high level of baseball. And please don't say probably won't happen, I was at the game and watched Spencer bust his rear end trying to round 1st, one mistep from pulling hammy etc.
    Secondly, It was embarrassing watching our head coach give up on a game in the 7th inning down only 3-0, especially with this team, you know the one that has proven over the course of this year that they will play to the end and have many and multiple comeback wins under their belt. And don't say he didn't throw in the towel, when you pull the crap he did last night in the 7th inning with 3 more team at bats awaiting and putting in pitchers to hit with Gordon and lovelady not in the game. As a coach and player you are taught to never ever give up and play every out till the end, our coach sent a message tonight alright, he told his team I will give up on you and I will throw your butt under the bus on media as well. Great message to a team that is in second place in the best conference in baseball with only 22 players or so healthy.
    Third: he may or may not be a great coach, only time will tell but he is getting way to much credit for what has been done so far, last time I checked players play and coaches mostly watch, I haven't seen any coach pitch or hit this year, the players have. In the words of legendary coach Bobby Cox when asked how many games a coach influences throughout a year, he said about 3, the other 159 are up to the players.
    I attended the game last night and I can assure you there was no lack of hustle or effort on the players part as a whole, had one incident where player did not run after 3rd strike. Plus coach owes it to the fan base to put a competitive team and players in correct positions. Some people that live on the coast only get to see their team play once a year and they got cheated last night by their head coach conceeding a game. heck even the USA fans were pissed, some didn't feel like they got to see our real team and felt their victory was watered down. Embarrassment to the university, the team and to the fans.
    I realize he is a 1st year head coach and all and I hope he can learn from his mistakes but was truly a sh$t show by a coach last night!!!!
    Well you just joined this month. So I doubt you would have a 100+ posts. So coaching doesn't matter? Where do you think our team would be after the ARK sweep, if Cann had not taken the actions he did. Probably sitting at the bottom of the SEC? And the job that Cann and Henderson have done with a decimated pitching staff is remarkable. And midweek loses do happen. ask Fl or any other major college baseball school. If Cann needs to do something to keep the train from jumping off the track, I'm all for it.

vCash
    Is anyone else getting the feeling either Dawgpatrol is a player or a players parent?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Is anyone else getting the feeling either Dawgpatrol is a player or a players parent?
    Nope, way to old to be a player and way to sterile to be a parent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    I think he's what I call a "pleaser".

You know- one of those "it's only a game, let's all have fun and show good sportsmanship and then if we lose we'll just all talk about how we're more classy than the other team" people. I can't stand those people personally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

You know- one of those "it's only a game, let's all have fun and show good sportsmanship and then if we lose we'll just all talk about how we're more classy than the other team" people. I can't stand those people personally.
    Rep Given!

vCash

I'm on here saying try and win the game and your saying play everyone but I'm the one who is trying to please everyone. Plus best available hitters available were Gordon or Lovelady at least according to them being identified as position players. All I read before the season was Gordon can smash it and how we have to get him in the lineup, well put him up to bat over pitchers in a 3-0 game with 2 runners on and see if he can smash one then.

vCash
    I'm on here saying try and win the game and your saying play everyone but I'm the one who is trying to please everyone. Plus best available hitters available were Gordon or Lovelady at least according to them being identified as position players. All I read before the season was Gordon can smash it and how we have to get him in the lineup, well put him up to bat over pitchers in a 3-0 game with 2 runners on and see if he can smash one then.
    Where did I say "play everyone"? I said play the guys that are playing hard. We just so happened to have to empty the bench to do that and you didn't like it. It's pretty ironic that you don't want us to hit our Friday night guy but out Saturday night guy is OK? And I'm still fine with Cann resting Lovelady.

You are a "pleaser". You're all worried about the players about Cann throwing them under the bus- which he didn't do-, what the South Alabama fans thought and all of that other bullshit, and how someone "could have" gotten hurt and blaming Cann for it all the while not even realizing the THE REASON he did what he did was because the players weren't putting out an acceptable performance. And to me- honestly- it's disrespectful to the game of baseball to not play as hard as you can no matter who the opponent is. But none of that other crap that you're talking about matters. It would be real ****ing nice if you just let our coach handle this his way since that's what we're paying him to do not to mention so far he has done a pretty good job and he deserves at least a benefit of the doubt. A coach that has played in the Big Leagues and knows what kind of effort it takes to get there and be a pro- which you have zero concept of. If you put forth a half assed effort in MLB every night you're going to be riding a bus and playing for a team called the Baby Cakes or some crap like that.

vCash
    Where did I say "play everyone"? I said play the guys that are playing hard. We just so happened to have to empty the bench to do that and you didn't like it. It's pretty ironic that you don't want us to hit our Friday night guy but out Saturday night guy is OK? And I'm still fine with Cann resting Lovelady.

You are a "pleaser". You're all worried about the players about Cann throwing them under the bus- which he didn't do-, what the South Alabama fans thought and all of that other bullshit, and how someone "could have" gotten hurt and blaming Cann for it all the while not even realizing the THE REASON he did what he did was because the players weren't putting out an acceptable performance. And to me- honestly- it's disrespectful to the game of baseball to not play as hard as you can no matter who the opponent is. But none of that other crap that you're talking about matters. It would be real ****ing nice if you just let our coach handle this his way since that's what we're paying him to do not to mention so far he has done a pretty good job and he deserves at least a benefit of the doubt. A coach that has played in the Big Leagues and knows what kind of effort it takes to get there and be a pro- which you have zero concept of. If you put forth a half assed effort in MLB every night you're going to be riding a bus and playing for a team called the Baby Cakes or some crap like that.
    I think he has done a good job this season, questioned his decision to expose our Friday night ace and closer on an already short staff. And no coach should ever throw players under the bus, nor should players do that to the coach, should be handled in house amongst coaches and staff if there is an issue, just like the Gridley situation. I haven't attacked you personally and you don't anything about me or my background or what I know or don't know about the game of baseball or any other sport for that matter,. But I know what I see and I saw a coach waive the white flag last night in the 7th inning in a 3 run game.I'm not trying to please anyone, don't need to, just don't like conceding a game, if that's not what we did then I expect to see all those pitchers hitting tomorrow night, if they can hit and help us win games then great let's play them. All I am saying is let's play to win every game that's the ultimate goal of every collegiate sport. And truthfully would you rather have a healthy pilkington or gordon, if we had to choose, fortunately we don't have to.
    Last edited by Dawgpatrol; 04-19-2017 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    I remember that. But hey- what does Bobby Cox know? I'm sure the Braves had someone just as good as those guys at AAA**.
    Cox went and got the best defensive CF the game has seen mid-inning for lack of effort. Cox didn't put glavine in CF though... I think you can make your point and still actually try to win the game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Cox went and got the best defensive CF the game has seen mid-inning for lack of effort. Cox didn't put glavine in CF though... I think you can make your point and still actually try to win the game
    What if Canny thought the guys he put in were giving the effort in practice and had the focus in the dugout, that is the thing none of us know unless you are at practice and the games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    First of all, Andruw Jones wasn't as good as Willie Mays defensively or Ken Griffey, Jr., among others. He's overrated at best, lazy at worst.

Second of all Cox had other outfielders to use.

Thirdly we did try to win the ****ing game by putting the best available players on the field that we could late. You know how I know that? Because of Cann's interview after the game where he told the media that you either give full effort (paraphrase because I know that's not the exact and you're going to nitpick it) you're going to be sitting by him on the bench.

On top of that, I have seen MLB teams use pitchers in the OF before too. I remember the Cubs doing it a few years ago. I remember the Cardinals doing it with Todd Worrell against the Mets in the 80's and then double switching out for a L/R match-up.

The BOTTOM LINE is what he did wasn't risky statistically speaking. NOTHING happened in terms of injury- which is not shocking given the odds. And if you think we weren't trying to win the game- you're clueless. And going after Cann for putting the best players available to us at the time- and remember the Braves can't legally call up players in the middle of a game because of MLB roster rules so get out of here with that bullshit as if the guys at AAA are just as good anyway- and then saying that he "gave up" because he took out players that were already giving HALF ASSED EFFORT and weren't going to change in that moment anyway is contradictory at worst and just plain baseball ignorant at best.

vCash
    Precisely, it's what happened on the field that told me he quit on the game and threw in the towel in the 7th inning of the game down 3-0. Who takes out their leadoff hitter and reigning SEC freshmen of the year who hit over .400 last year and hitting over .350ish this year and inserts a pitcher pinch hitter along with 3 other pitchers who haven't had any or many at bats this year. And don't tell me because of leadoff hitters hand, if that the case then why did he play at all, not to mention other hitters with pitchers and hitters hitting below the Mendoza line. If the score was 10-0 or 15-0. Then maybe you throw in the towel but at 3-0 no way. I get the fact he wanted to make a point or whatever but at the end of the day games are played to be won at this level, not motivate, motivation can come at practice or elsewhere
    I have no problem with conceding that loss last night in the 7th if it motivates our guys to go 9-6 in sec play from here out. Cann is thinking big picture.

vCash
    Some times people get cocky and need to be put in their place.

vCash
    I didn't get to listen to much of the game but from looking at the box score it looks like Cannizaro should have gone to the pitchers earlier at the plate.
    Barlow walked, Jolley got on by error and scored, and Price got 1/3 of our hits. I would say that pretty much shows a lack of effort by most of our team when three pitchers produce more at the plate than our every day starters.
    Coach Cannizaro is trying to win a national championship, not a midweek game in April.

vCash
    None of us know whats going on in that dugout or on the practice field. Heck he could've challenged his guys in the dugout last night and they didn't respond the way he wanted. Been in the same position, challenge a player and he doesn't compete like you want so you sit his butt and you keep running people out there until you find someone who will. Appears that's what happened last night. Cannizaro, Henderson and the rest of the staff are the reason this season hasn't fallen apart. I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and trust his judgement on doing what's best for the team, seeing as how he's the only one who knows the whole picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    None of us know whats going on in that dugout or on the practice field. Heck he could've challenged his guys in the dugout last night and they didn't respond the way he wanted. Been in the same position, challenge a player and he doesn't compete like you want so you sit his butt and you keep running people out there until you find someone who will. Appears that's what happened last night. Cannizaro, Henderson and the rest of the staff are the reason this season hasn't fallen apart. I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and trust his judgement on doing what's best for the team, seeing as how he's the only one who knows the whole picture.
    This is more than likely the correct answer. I doubt Canny just randomly chose to send out our Ace to hit just for shits and giggles. There has been meltdowns on this and other boards over things like Trey Porter not playing every day and then after the season you learn they are battling an injury. Dak not running as much was another one and then we find out they kept quiet his broken ribs from a car accident. Most of the coaches at this level aren't total morons.