Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannizaro?????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpatrol View Post
    Never said he quit on the season, said he quit on the team in that game last night. Never said he is bad coach, said he is learning to be a head coach and for the sake of the dawgs, I hope a really really good one.
    What he did kicking off Cyr and Marrero should be a lot more impactful to the season than letting a couple of pitchers bat. Jolly has pitch ran and McQuary pinch hit earlier in the year so it isn't like this was the first time he ever did anything like this. Do I think letting Pilk pinch hit is the smartest thing, no but I also don't know all the ins and outs of the team. You never can tell who might have a nagging injury that he is letting rest. In our run to the National Title game most people thought Cohen was a dumbass for not letting Trey Porter hit more. After the season we find out he had some issue with his eyes and it was hard for him to pick up the ball. So most people don't know the whole story.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    You say it can't happen, ask our 2nd baseman how his hand is doing.
    I think this is the point people are making "It Didn't Happen". Could have happened? Sure but it didn't so there's no need to keep belaboring a point that didn't happen.

vCash
    Never said he quit on the season, said he quit on the team in that game last night. Never said he is bad coach, said he is learning to be a head coach and for the sake of the dawgs, I hope a really really good one.

Are you a member of our baseball team? Well, if not then how do you know if he quit on the team last night. If you weren't in that dugout, you have no clue of what happened other than what you saw on the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    What he did kicking off Cyr and Marrero should be a lot more impactful to the season than letting a couple of pitchers bat. Jolly has pitch ran and McQuary pinch hit earlier in the year so it isn't like this was the first time he ever did anything like this. Do I think letting Pilk pinch hit is the smartest thing, no but I also don't know all the ins and outs of the team. You never can tell who might have a nagging injury that he is letting rest. In our run to the National Title game most people thought Cohen was a dumbass for not letting Trey Porter hit more. After the season we find out he had some issue with his eyes and it was hard for him to pick up the ball. So most people don't know the whole story.
    I still think it was suspending Mangum that had the most impact. Apparently Cyr was a douchebag based on what I have heard and getting rid of him may have helped from that standpoint because it probably made things more pleasant. But suspending your All-American CF for a rivalry game in Jackson I think got his point across more than anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    Are you a member of our baseball team? Well, if not then how do you know if he quit on the team last night. If you weren't in that dugout, you have no clue of what happened other than what you saw on the field.
    Precisely, it's what happened on the field that told me he quit on the game and threw in the towel in the 7th inning of the game down 3-0. Who takes out their leadoff hitter and reigning SEC freshmen of the year who hit over .400 last year and hitting over .350ish this year and inserts a pitcher pinch hitter along with 3 other pitchers who haven't had any or many at bats this year. And don't tell me because of leadoff hitters hand, if that the case then why did he play at all, not to mention other hitters with pitchers and hitters hitting below the Mendoza line. If the score was 10-0 or 15-0. Then maybe you throw in the towel but at 3-0 no way. I get the fact he wanted to make a point or whatever but at the end of the day games are played to be won at this level, not motivate, motivation can come at practice or elsewhere

vCash
    Ok so now I am ignorant. If that makes us win then by all means let the pitchers hit then. Something tells me there is a reason their mostly pitching and not hitting on a regular basis. And based on our record and tied for 2nd in the SEC I would say we have been winning. I understand your point but we will have to agree to disagree. Team has no wiggle room for another unnecessary injury if they can avoid it, especially to our Friday night guy. Unless he gets hit by a meteor of course ha ha! Then we all have bigger fish to fry.
    And they wouldn't have hit if we had other position players to hit for them. Shit the pitchers had almost as many hits as the regulars. That in and of itself should tell you why you are wrong when some of them are taking better AB's than the position players.

Your opinion is misplaced at Cann. HE'S the only one that didn't give up. You should be pissed off at the team for their unacceptable effort. Sorry you lost 10 bucks having to watch that- but at least point your finger at the real culprits and it's not the baseball coach in this case. As a fan I expect a certain level of effort from our players and clearly we didn't get that from the position players but Cann is doing something about it and that's all I can reasonably expect and ask for.

If Pilkington had gotten hurt- I'd probably be pissed off at whoever he had to pinch hit for forcing Cann to put him in the game. I'm sure that genius thought never crossed your mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Braves used to use Glavine as PH and Maddux and Smoltz as Pinch Runners regularly.
    I remember that. But hey- what does Bobby Cox know? I'm sure the Braves had someone just as good as those guys at AAA**.

vCash
    Is anyone else getting the feeling either Dawgpatrol is a player or a players parent?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I remember that. But hey- what does Bobby Cox know? I'm sure the Braves had someone just as good as those guys at AAA**.
    Cox went and got the best defensive CF the game has seen mid-inning for lack of effort. Cox didn't put glavine in CF though... I think you can make your point and still actually try to win the game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Is anyone else getting the feeling either Dawgpatrol is a player or a players parent?
    Nope, way to old to be a player and way to sterile to be a parent.

vCash
    Precisely, it's what happened on the field that told me he quit on the game and threw in the towel in the 7th inning of the game down 3-0. Who takes out their leadoff hitter and reigning SEC freshmen of the year who hit over .400 last year and hitting over .350ish this year and inserts a pitcher pinch hitter along with 3 other pitchers who haven't had any or many at bats this year. And don't tell me because of leadoff hitters hand, if that the case then why did he play at all, not to mention other hitters with pitchers and hitters hitting below the Mendoza line. If the score was 10-0 or 15-0. Then maybe you throw in the towel but at 3-0 no way. I get the fact he wanted to make a point or whatever but at the end of the day games are played to be won at this level, not motivate, motivation can come at practice or elsewhere
    I have no problem with conceding that loss last night in the 7th if it motivates our guys to go 9-6 in sec play from here out. Cann is thinking big picture.

vCash
    Some times people get cocky and need to be put in their place.

vCash
    I didn't get to listen to much of the game but from looking at the box score it looks like Cannizaro should have gone to the pitchers earlier at the plate.
    Barlow walked, Jolley got on by error and scored, and Price got 1/3 of our hits. I would say that pretty much shows a lack of effort by most of our team when three pitchers produce more at the plate than our every day starters.
    Coach Cannizaro is trying to win a national championship, not a midweek game in April.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Cox went and got the best defensive CF the game has seen mid-inning for lack of effort. Cox didn't put glavine in CF though... I think you can make your point and still actually try to win the game
    What if Canny thought the guys he put in were giving the effort in practice and had the focus in the dugout, that is the thing none of us know unless you are at practice and the games.

vCash
    None of us know whats going on in that dugout or on the practice field. Heck he could've challenged his guys in the dugout last night and they didn't respond the way he wanted. Been in the same position, challenge a player and he doesn't compete like you want so you sit his butt and you keep running people out there until you find someone who will. Appears that's what happened last night. Cannizaro, Henderson and the rest of the staff are the reason this season hasn't fallen apart. I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and trust his judgement on doing what's best for the team, seeing as how he's the only one who knows the whole picture.

vCash
    So if he got on them in practice on Monday and then they still were unfocused during the game, he should wait to do something about it until the next practice? Some guys won't take it seriously unless their are real repercussions like losing game time. You don't know what he did before trying to motivate them. I seriously doubt he just decided the first time someone didn't run out of the batters box to pull them. He obviously was seeing a trend he didn't like and decided to fix it before the back half of SEC play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Got to send a message at times to teams that struggle to buy in at times.

He kicked Cyr and Marrero to the curb and we won 10 of 11 games after that. Some of these guys have to learn what it takes to be a D-1 baseball player
    It seems like we have bought in. Thus the 10 out of 11. You are going to have off nights every now and then in baseball. I'm not sure batting the whole pitching staff is the right way to handle it, but whatever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    None of us know whats going on in that dugout or on the practice field. Heck he could've challenged his guys in the dugout last night and they didn't respond the way he wanted. Been in the same position, challenge a player and he doesn't compete like you want so you sit his butt and you keep running people out there until you find someone who will. Appears that's what happened last night. Cannizaro, Henderson and the rest of the staff are the reason this season hasn't fallen apart. I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and trust his judgement on doing what's best for the team, seeing as how he's the only one who knows the whole picture.
    This is more than likely the correct answer. I doubt Canny just randomly chose to send out our Ace to hit just for shits and giggles. There has been meltdowns on this and other boards over things like Trey Porter not playing every day and then after the season you learn they are battling an injury. Dak not running as much was another one and then we find out they kept quiet his broken ribs from a car accident. Most of the coaches at this level aren't total morons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    This is more than likely the correct answer. I doubt Canny just randomly chose to send out our Ace to hit just for shits and giggles. There has been meltdowns on this and other boards over things like Trey Porter not playing every day and then after the season you learn they are battling an injury. Dak not running as much was another one and then we find out they kept quiet his broken ribs from a car accident. Most of the coaches at this level aren't total morons.
    Exactly! I can guarantee that no one wants to win worse than Cann! The dude is a competitor and a winner. He didn't do what he did just for laughs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    If sacrificing a midweek loss to send a message that makes us win more midweek games the rest of the year, the loss is worth it.
    That kind of sophomoric move can go more than one way. Maybe it does spark the team but it may also result in breaking the momentum this team has developed the last few weeks and sending us into a tail spin. I think it was the wrong decision on Cann's part but the remainder of the season will have the final say.