Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Cannizaro?????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Exactly. And everyone except you is fine with doing that on a Tuesday night in mobile. It's a strategy that has worked numerous times for Cann this year.
    I appreciate your assesment and I get what others are trying to say here, but this is Division 1 big time baseball, we, nor anyone should ever concede a 3 run game, if it was well out of reach maybe 10 run deficit etc... Then maybe we rest some people etc... But when did it become to ok to stop trying to win a 3 run game with 3 innings to go. And with all due respect most on this board are ok with it but some are not including some who don't post on any boards. When is ok to do it again maybe next tues etc... Point is it's never ok to concede the game that is that close unless something REALLY, REALLY. goes haywire. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but tell me another time this year we sent 4 pitchers to the plate down 3 in the 7th. So that stategy has never been deployed.

NOTE: just conversing here not trying to create conflict sometimes that don't get conveyed via typing.
    Last edited by Dawgpatrol; 04-20-2017 at 11:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You have some in this thread claiming Cann was actually trying to win that game though, which is BS. Cann was thinking next game and down the line and it could pay off huge... who knows? Make no mistake though, we quit Tuesday.
    The way we played, the players quit, or some of them did, before cann did. So there's that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    The way we played, the players quit, or some of them did, before cann did. So there's that
    That's fair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpatrol View Post
    I appreciate your assesment and I get what others are trying to say here, but this is Division 1 big time baseball, we, nor anyone should ever concede a 3 run game, if it was well out of reach maybe 10 run deficit etc... Then maybe we rest some people etc... But when did it become to ok to stop trying to win a 3 run game with 3 innings to go. And with all due respect most on this board are ok with it but some are not including some who don't post on any boards. When is ok to do it again maybe next tues etc... Point is it's never ok to concede the game that is that close unless something REALLY, REALLY. goes haywire. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but tell me another time this year we sent 4 pitchers to the plate down 3 in the 7th. So that stategy has never been deployed.

NOTE: just conversing here not trying to create conflict sometimes that don't get conveyed via typing.
    No worries. And to answer your question when is it okay to do what he did, it depends on the makeup of the team (young vs veteran, maturity, etc...). It's much more important to Cann to lay a foundation and set expectations as to what he will demand than to win a midweek game that will not affect our host chances either way.

vCash
    I appreciate your assesment and I get what others are trying to say here, but this is Division 1 big time baseball, we, nor anyone should ever concede a 3 run game, if it was well out of reach maybe 10 run deficit etc... Then maybe we rest some people etc... But when did it become to ok to stop trying to win a 3 run game with 3 innings to go. And with all due respect most on this board are ok with it but some are not including some who don't post on any boards. When is ok to do it again maybe next tues etc... Point is it's never ok to concede the game that is that close unless something REALLY, REALLY. haywire. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but tell me another time this year we sent 4 pitchers to the plate down 3 in the 7th. So that stategy has never been deployed.

WE ALL UNDERSTAND that you feel it is unacceptable that you think we stopped trying to win the game down 3 with 3 innings to go.

But I ask you are you ok with our players giving lackluster effort and there being no repercussions? What would you do to fix that problem? Maybe there had already been consequences in practice and they didn't get the message. What's the next move? From your 32 posts on the topic I see that you would just keep running them out there. THAT is where me, most of the posters on this board, and pretty much every decent coach in America disagree with you.

What type of message does our coach send if his motto is the best players play, period? Effort, attitude, respect for coaches and teammates be damned.

Lastly, if I'm on one side of an argument and literally almost NO ONE agrees with me I usually think its time to reflect and see if maybe my thinking might be flawed. This is one of those times for you.

vCash

The thing is no one except the people on the team who are in the dugout and at every practice would know why Canny did it exactly. Everyone is saying Canny kicking off Cyr and Marrero were the right moves. The day after and you look at it and people might lose their shit because he just kicked off our starting catcher and our supposed 2nd best pitcher who is going to be our Saturday starter. I guarantee he didn't just send out pitchers to hit just to be cute. He was sending a 17'ing message that if you halfass your focus or your effort YOU WILL NOT PLAY. He doesn't give a shit if he has to field an entire team of pitchers and random walkons. He isn't putting up with it. Hell, it is a lot better for our RPI to lose to USA rather than Bama at home.

So what if he let it slide because he tried to eek out a Tuesday game then it gets worse throughout the week. Then he can't do something drastic against Bama because that is a SEC game. It is a slippery slope. Mullen basically did the same thing with Fitz oddly enough against USA. As good as Mullen is with QBs, he knows what it takes and Fitz wasn't doing something. It might have cost us one game or that motivation is how we won down the stretch and will benefit from it in 2017.

vCash

Me thinks you can not be this obtuse to understand the coaching strategy. Now being pissed that you took time and money to go watch the Bulldogs play for your one game of the year.....and they did not perform to their ranking or abilities. That is understandable. And this fan disappointment should be another lesson to the kids in that we have a great baseball fan base supporting and enjoying their success. They are playing for the MSU family each time they hit the field and not just for themselves. It takes max effort every time out to be a consistent winner. Max effort even in losses is appreciated by fan base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    The thing is no one except the people on the team who are in the dugout and at every practice would know why Canny did it exactly. Everyone is saying Canny kicking off Cyr and Marrero were the right moves. The day after and you look at it and people might lose their shit because he just kicked off our starting catcher and our supposed 2nd best pitcher who is going to be our Saturday starter. I guarantee he didn't just send out pitchers to hit just to be cute. He was sending a 17'ing message that if you halfass your focus or your effort YOU WILL NOT PLAY. He doesn't give a shit if he has to field an entire team of pitchers and random walkons. He isn't putting up with it. Hell, it is a lot better for our RPI to lose to USA rather than Bama at home.

So what if he let it slide because he tried to eek out a Tuesday game then it gets worse throughout the week. Then he can't do something drastic against Bama because that is a SEC game. It is a slippery slope. Mullen basically did the same thing with Fitz oddly enough against USA. As good as Mullen is with QBs, he knows what it takes and Fitz wasn't doing something. It might have cost us one game or that motivation is how we won down the stretch and will benefit from it in 2017.
    VERY WELL SAID! Thats the point you, me and about a billion others are trying to get across. Probably just like what happened in our dugout tuesday night with some players! (No inside info here but having been in similar circumstances, I'd be willing to bet the players were half assing it in practice Monday and in prep for the game Tuesday and had probably been warned by Cann. Don't know that for sure but seen it happen before)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    VERY WELL SAID! Thats the point you, me and about a billion others are trying to get across. Probably just like what happened in our dugout tuesday night with some players! (No inside info here but having been in similar circumstances, I'd be willing to bet the players were half assing it in practice Monday and in prep for the game Tuesday and had probably been warned by Cann. Don't know that for sure but seen it happen before)
    Like you, I have and want no inside information, in fact the less the better cause that's where mostly rumors and BS start. If and that's a big if somethung happened in the dugout verbally, attitude wise etc...then yeah sit em, but that's not what was reported, it was stated there were effort issues, I watched the game and I like many of you am a true baseball fan not the casual get me out of the house guy, I like to watch the details of the game and all of its intracacies/strategies.I don't miss a pitch, there was only one physical effortless play I saw, 3rd pitch strike in dirt, runner did not run, ball bounced 2 to 3 feet away from catcher and he was tagged out. All runners hustled, fielder's hustled and all ground balls were run out. Maybe Cann was frustrated with the results of the game score at the time and decided it was lack of effort, I don't know and won't speculate. But not hitting is a lack of effort, it is a result of missing pitches, it happens everyday in every game. If it was an attitude issue in the dugout then line em up kick em in the a$$ and sit em.

vCash
    Like you, I have and want no inside information, in fact the less the better cause that's where mostly rumors and BS start. If and that's a big if somethung happened in the dugout verbally, attitude wise etc...then yeah sit em, but that's not what was reported, it was stated there were effort issues, I watched the game and I like many of you am a true baseball fan not the casual get me out of the house guy, I like to watch the details of the game and all of its intracacies/strategies.I don't miss a pitch, there was only one physical effortless play I saw, 3rd pitch strike in dirt, runner did not run, ball bounced 2 to 3 feet away from catcher and he was tagged out. All runners hustled, fielder's hustled and all ground balls were run out. Maybe Cann was frustrated with the results of the game score at the time and decided it was lack of effort, I don't know and won't speculate. But not hitting is a lack of effort, it is a result of missing pitches, it happens everyday in every game. If it was an attitude issue in the dugout then line em up kick em in the a$$ and sit em.
    It's not effort, it's focus. Lock the hell in and get a job done.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    I don't need it explained to me, I saw it with my on 2 eyes, we conceded the game for potential motivation purposes and that is a fact. Its not saying anyone said the pitchers are better hitters but by virtue of hitting your pitchers over regular everyday hitters your essentially conceding not scoring 6 runs to win the game. Could it happen, yes, anything is possible but highly doubtful, if Cann thought otherwise the pitchers would hit on a regular basis. So, for arguments sake, we waived the white flag in the 7th inning to send a message about this weekend.
    It's not a ****ing fact. Just shut the **** up on it. Being at the game doesn't make you less of a ****ing moron on the subject.