Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannizaro?????

vCash

Cannizaro?????

Ok, I never post anything (normally just get on board to find info about our baseball team, scores etc) but after that debacle last night by our head baseball coach I could'nt just sit back and not question a whole lot of decisions on his part. First off, why in the world would you put 4 pitchers in a batters box to get potentially injured when the staff is already devastated with injury. Much less your Friday night starter and your closer, I wonder what our judgement of his coaching ability would be like this morning had Pilkington taken a pitch off his hand and broke a couple of fingers,. Bar none one of the dumbest coaching decisions I have ever witnessed by a head coach at such a high level of baseball. And please don't say probably won't happen, I was at the game and watched Spencer bust his rear end trying to round 1st, one mistep from pulling hammy etc.
    Secondly, It was embarrassing watching our head coach give up on a game in the 7th inning down only 3-0, especially with this team, you know the one that has proven over the course of this year that they will play to the end and have many and multiple comeback wins under their belt. And don't say he didn't throw in the towel, when you pull the crap he did last night in the 7th inning with 3 more team at bats awaiting and putting in pitchers to hit with Gordon and lovelady not in the game. As a coach and player you are taught to never ever give up and play every out till the end, our coach sent a message tonight alright, he told his team I will give up on you and I will throw your butt under the bus on media as well. Great message to a team that is in second place in the best conference in baseball with only 22 players or so healthy.
    Third: he may or may not be a great coach, only time will tell but he is getting way to much credit for what has been done so far, last time I checked players play and coaches mostly watch, I haven't seen any coach pitch or hit this year, the players have. In the words of legendary coach Bobby Cox when asked how many games a coach influences throughout a year, he said about 3, the other 159 are up to the players.
    I attended the game last night and I can assure you there was no lack of hustle or effort on the players part as a whole, had one incident where player did not run after 3rd strike. Plus coach owes it to the fan base to put a competitive team and players in correct positions. Some people that live on the coast only get to see their team play once a year and they got cheated last night by their head coach conceeding a game. heck even the USA fans were pissed, some didn't feel like they got to see our real team and felt their victory was watered down. Embarrassment to the university, the team and to the fans.
    I realize he is a 1st year head coach and all and I hope he can learn from his mistakes but was truly a sh$t show by a coach last night!!!!

vCash
    Are you a player's father or something? Wow. When you say there was no lack of effort and follow it w the word except such and such, that means there was. Mental errors were made too. Does coach deserve criticism at times? Yes. Maybe even last night. However, I thought it was him trying to send a message that we need to be more mentally prepared and into the ballgame from the first pitch. With all that said, he makes a bunch of money and say what pleases you, whoever your son is****

vCash
    Baffling decisions were made. One could even argue that "mistakes were made".

vCash
    I understand why you never post. I'd suggest you stick with that strategy.

vCash
    The players gave up last night before Cann did. Yeah a pitcher could have gotten hurt. But it didn't happen. One of our hitters could have gotten hurt too. You can't put these guys in bubble wrap. He's going to put players out there that play hard and had no other options besides the bullpen guys. I think he did the right thing and I have no problem with it. Other than the fact it was a loss. Our effort was terrible last night from the players and he's trying to fix it,

vCash
    Who cares? Baseball is supposed to be fun right? I'm willing to bet those pitchers had the time of their lives getting to hit in a game when they haven't hit in one since high school. Chill out and get your panties out of a wad.

vCash
    Thats the problem. He didnt give up. The guys did. They showed a complete lack of focus nor even cared like they wanted to be there... We had guys swinging at shit 3 foot out of the box and not making adjustments, we had guys standing in the baters box after a called 3rd strike, we had guys not blocking balls, we had guys, who are damn good, play like they didnt care at all. I had no problem sitting the whole damn line up down for pitchers, except for Pilk and Price. Ill agree with you there and say I didnt like that. But Sometimes you gotta show them who is boss whether it mean we loose a game or not. Cann has made some excellent stuff happen for this team. Even Henderson, who at the beg of the yr I hated, has done an outstanding job. Ill be the first to admit I was wrong on Henderson. He didnt throw his team under the bus. He told them exactly like it was. You dont wanna give 110%, sit your ass on the bench. It doesnt matter if its Rooker or Bragg or Poole or Mangum. The guys are there to represent the University and Coach Cann. If he doesnt think they are doing that, you will sit your ass on the bench.. 1 loss isnt gonna kill this team. If that's the case we could have folded a long time ago. If we come out and beat the living shit out of Bama, everyone will be saying what a wonderful job by Cann by getting his point across. Just like last wk we were all saying how good of a 1st yr Coach Cann is, and still is to me, yet after 1 loss, people want to question the man and act like he doesnt know 2 shits about the game or what is going on. and Dawgpatrol, this is meant in absolutely no offense to you in anyway...

vCash
    I dont think it was necessarily he that gave up. I think the players quit and he was looking for anyone and everyone who wanted to play with some passion. I am beginning to think that Mangum is a diva on the team and coach is getting sick of it. He benched a bunch of players because they played as if they had already won before the game even began. I applaud him for yanking a First Team AA. It proved a point that no one is bigger than the team, and if you dont play with passion you simply wont play.

vCash
    Cann sees that this team can make some noise and is trying to keep them playing at their peak potential. Personally I love it going into a series we really need to sweep.
    Last edited by Coldsleeve Jr.; 04-19-2017 at 11:42 AM.

vCash
    I'm more entertained by watching us win games than watching us play like shit against South Al. If Cann thinks sending a message to our team against South Al will lead to us winning more games over the course of the season, I'm all for it.

vCash
    No inside information here, but I can only speculate that Pilk has been begging for an at bat and Cannizaro finally relented

vCash
    I don't like essentially forfeiting a game with plenty of time to come back. I wish morehead state's coach would've gotten mad and pulled starters when we were up 5 headed to 9th.

vCash
    I initially questioned everything, but in hindsight I'm ok with it. Stovall had a bad night in the field and we all now know why Bragg is not in the lineup. Blaylock and Poole do nothing but strike out at the plate, but both play solid defense. I wish we had a catcher that was a plus with the bat. We do not, and will not for the forseeable future. Belmont has occasional power and usually makes all the plays at 3rd. Mangum is a detriment to himself and the team with the celebration that involves punching a wall. Hey, I remember being a bit careless with my decisions at that age. In Cann, I trust.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    No inside information here, but I can only speculate that Pilk has been begging for an at bat and Cannizaro finally relented
    I know Jim said he was taking bp before the Saturday or Sunday game against SC. I can't believe Cann didn't have him locked in an equipment closet to make sure he didn't get hurt***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    I know Jim said he was taking bp before the Saturday or Sunday game against SC. I can't believe Cann didn't have him locked in an equipment closet to make sure he didn't get hurt***
    Maybe he should. If pilk took a ball off the wrist or pulled a hammy running a ball out, our season was over.

vCash
    If sacrificing a midweek loss to send a message that makes us win more midweek games the rest of the year, the loss is worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    If sacrificing a midweek loss to send a message that makes us win more midweek games the rest of the year, the loss is worth it.
    If we pull the sweep this weekend and with no injuries, I won't give a crap about this Saturday night. I would've liked that win vs a top 75 rpi team on the road though... bama 100 spots behind USA in rpi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpatrol View Post
    I realize he is a 1st year head coach and all and I hope he can learn from his mistakes but was truly a sh$t show by a coach last night!!!!
    No, he saw his team was playing like a bunch of Renardo Sidneys and did what he had to do to send a message during the game. Sometimes its not enough to just lecture your players after the game. He is simply practicing what he preaches. You can disagree with how he sent his message, but you can't say he's not giving max effort in coaching this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The players gave up last night before Cann did. Yeah a pitcher could have gotten hurt. But it didn't happen. One of our hitters could have gotten hurt too. You can't put these guys in bubble wrap. He's going to put players out there that play hard and had no other options besides the bullpen guys. I think he did the right thing and I have no problem with it. Other than the fact it was a loss. Our effort was terrible last night from the players and he's trying to fix it,
    If it hasn't been a problem in practice, it was overkill. You're not going to play at peak mental focus all season. Losing focus in a midweek game against USA is not a reason to lose it and start replacing position players with pitchers. If it was the culmination of a trend that includes lack of focus in practice, then maybe it was time for them to get shaken up.

vCash
    Got to send a message at times to teams that struggle to buy in at times.

He kicked Cyr and Marrero to the curb and we won 10 of 11 games after that. Some of these guys have to learn what it takes to be a D-1 baseball player