Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: O.T. somebody please explain what I just saw regarding a duck here in ft worth

  1. #1
    Detriment
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7,632
    vCash
    1100

    O.T. somebody please explain what I just saw regarding a duck here in ft worth

    I'm in my backyard which parallels a 4 lane , 40 MPh thoroughfare. I see a big assed mallard flying his ass off next to a redneck in a pick up truck tooting his duck call.

    So help me God I speak the truth and I'm not drunk.

  2. #2
    Senior Member missouridawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,321
    vCash
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I'm in my backyard which parallels a 4 lane , 40 MPh thoroughfare. I see a big assed mallard flying his ass off next to a redneck in a pick up truck tooting his duck call.

    So help me God I speak the truth and I'm not drunk.
    I would love to see this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Stkvll
    Posts
    534
    vCash
    3391

  4. #4
    Senior Member TUSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your head.
    Posts
    6,094
    vCash
    1006
    Both my neighbor and I have (separately) seen the Ring Necked Pheasant in the woods/on the highway just East of Columbus....

    are they tasty?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

    No.

  5. #5
    Senior Member BB30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Columbus, Ms
    Posts
    1,062
    vCash
    1249
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Both my neighbor and I have (separately) seen the Ring Necked Pheasant in the woods/on the highway just East of Columbus....

    are they tasty?
    Actually a fairly common sight ha. There are several people in the area that raise pheasants to sell to kick and shoot places. Inevitably some get away or don't get lost during the "hunt". If you are ever between Columbus and West Point you will see them pretty often. I have seen them a couple of times on the way to Tuscaloosa as well right around the state line.

  6. #6
    Senior Member TUSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your head.
    Posts
    6,094
    vCash
    1006
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Actually a fairly common sight ha. There are several people in the area that raise pheasants to sell to kick and shoot places. Inevitably some get away or don't get lost during the "hunt". If you are ever between Columbus and West Point you will see them pretty often. I have seen them a couple of times on the way to Tuscaloosa as well right around the state line.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected they "fell off a truck" en route to a hunting preserve (or somethin' of the like)...

    I wouldn't mind them getting a foothold and developing a population, although their outlook in this area is dim, IMO...

    Edit... the two that my neighbor and I spotted were ~3 miles from the state line between the old and new HWY 82....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

    No.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Saltydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,339
    vCash
    1106

    Any game bird that roosts on the ground will have little chance of prospering 'round

    these parts. The quail population is evident of that. Predators, fire ants and loss of habitat have devastated this State's quail population.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

  8. #8
    Senior Member starkvegasdawg34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Eye of the Storm
    Posts
    14,443
    vCash
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    these parts. The quail population is evident of that. Predators, fire ants and loss of habitat have devastated this State's quail population.
    I honestly don't remember the last time I heard a quail in the wild. I was a kid I know that. I've got the windows open now listening to a whip-or-will outside.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    755
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected they "fell off a truck" en route to a hunting preserve (or somethin' of the like)...

    I wouldn't mind them getting a foothold and developing a population, although their outlook in this area is dim, IMO...

    Edit... the two that my neighbor and I spotted were ~3 miles from the state line between the old and new HWY 82....
    Prairie Wildlife raises and has a pretty good population of pheasant. They are a little northeast of West Point on the West side of the river.

  10. #10
    Senior Member TUSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your head.
    Posts
    6,094
    vCash
    1006
    When I was knee high to a grasshopper, I remember tripping over a covey of quail, and gettin' knocked out when my grape landed on a rabbit....


    alas, neither are much 'round, anymore....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

    No.

  11. #11
    Senior Member shoeless joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,772
    vCash
    529
    There are some wild quail trying to make a come back if you know where to look

    AS for the duck, prolly one that that guy raised so it follows him around like its mother

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.