Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WR transfer

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The only thing I know is that he's not going to Kansas.
    I figured that much...ha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Bandaids usually don't work very well. Where are we getting a receiver from this late in the process? I'll believe it when I see it.
    Nick Saban took a grad transfer WR last year in Deter. Worked pretty well for them.

vCash
    I don't really agree with the move to bring in a transfer.

You get a one year merc who will take valuable experience from young guys like Todd and Couch. What does it say about our recruiting and coaching if a guy can come in and beat out all our guys with just one summer and fall camp? Usually transfers don't really help that much anyway.
    I tend to agree but if is a one time deal to bridge us until our young guys get better I am good with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Nick Saban took a grad transfer WR last year in Deter. Worked pretty well for them.
    Bama would have been screwed without him.***
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Coach,

Who & what is most to blame for our current WR situation?

When we got Bear & Fred, I really thought we were headed in the right direction at that position, but it's incredible how bad our personnel is at that position.

To make matters more interesting, Oklahoma State, who recruits near the same level we do, currently has the best receiving core in the country. How does Oklahoma State attract these guys & we can't?
    Oddly enough, MSU flipped Fred Ross from Oklahoma State.

vCash
    I don't really agree with the move to bring in a transfer.

You get a one year merc who will take valuable experience from young guys like Todd and Couch. What does it say about our recruiting and coaching if a guy can come in and beat out all our guys with just one summer and fall camp? Usually transfers don't really help that much anyway.
    It says that our WR recruiting has been the suck, which has seemed pretty obvious. We have some guys that could end up good, but we don't have enough good WR ready to play this year. If we can get a one year player that can make us better this year, of course we should take him.

vCash
    I think it's also that Texas produces a ton of WR so OSU recruits better there. MS/AL/TN/LA WR tend to be more raw and take more time to develop. I wish we'd recruit TX more for WR and OL

vCash
    So do we have a name for this possible WR transfer?

vCash
    So who is it? just say it, it doesn't make 1 difference if its mentioned here or not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    Ari Gold mentioned this possibility a few days ago in the recruiting thread. No idea if you guys are talking about the same person.
    I was not referring to a grad WR. And I'm sure we looking at what's available but I havent heard any names .

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Well, our offense totally and completely sucked for most of those years, so it's not a big surprise. We also had no QB drafted during that time frame. Our WR play has improved quite a bit the last several years, and that, along with suddenly attractive QBs and a better offense, should hopefully allow WR recruiting to open up more.

But we're still seen as a run-based offense at a time when a ton of programs are airing it out all over the place. Auburn had Coates and Louis drafted recently but before that they had a big gap as well, and they haven't had nearly the number of WR you might expect for a program that recruits like they do and puts up the offense they do...largely because they're also seen as a run-based offense.
    Well, we didn't have any QB's drafted in that period of the late 80's to the mid 90's either when we had 6 WR's drafted. It's much harder to get drafted as a QB than as a player at any other position. And we were a run based offense in those years, too. Georgia Tech has been probably the biggest run based offense in college football in the last 10-15 years but it still hasn't stopped them from producing Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. It seems to be partly due to bad luck and partly due to other factors like who we target in recruiting abd who is available to us in recruiting. Oddly enough, MS hasn't produced many NFL prospects at the WR position in the past decade or so. Moncrief is the only one I can think of from the top of my head who has made it as an impact guy, although there may be someone I am missing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    I know Devonta Jason committed to Kansas but are we still on him? I wonder what our chances are with him since Key is here.
    Yes we are... and odds are better than 50/50 We land him ..

vCash
    Actually it was Vic Schaefer, Fred's aunt was on his staff here. Fred used to play basketball with the Schaefer kids. Vic told Mullen about Fred.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Well, we didn't have any QB's drafted in that period of the late 80's to the mid 90's either when we had 6 WR's drafted. It's much harder to get drafted as a QB than as a player at any other position. And we were a run based offense in those years, too. Georgia Tech has been probably the biggest run based offense in college football in the last 10-15 years but it still hasn't stopped them from producing Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. It seems to be partly due to bad luck and partly due to other factors like who we target in recruiting abd who is available to us in recruiting. Oddly enough, MS hasn't produced many NFL prospects at the WR position in the past decade or so. Moncrief is the only one I can think of from the top of my head who has made it as an impact guy, although there may be someone I am missing.
    Calvin Johnson and Thomas were already at GT before Paul Johnson was hired. Calvin Johnson never even played in his offense as he was drafted the year before.

vCash
    Yes, this is the primary problem. It's obviously much harder to get kids from out of state when you don't have a ready-made pass-heavy offense. Both Calvin and Thomas were GA kids, and they both came in under Chan Gailey initially, who ran a pro-style offense. Since Paul Johnson was hired, they haven't recruited anybody at WR.

vCash
    Whatever the problem is, it spans multiple coaching staffs. We haven't had a WR drafted in 21 years. And it could easily be 22 if no one takes a late round flyer on Ross. For all the talk about lack of OL draftees, this fact gets conveniently ignored.
    In all fairness though, until recent years, we did not run an offense or have a QB that would attract great receivers.

vCash
    Is it Raphael Leonard?

Daniel Crowell? AJ Brown????

Did we find a way to get Stephen Guidry out in summer?
    Last edited by Cary Hudson's little bro; 04-18-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Guidry

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Yes and it shows what type of talent he had since he is basically leaving with almost every receiving record at MSU. He did benefit from Dak though.
    And Mullen's offense. I know we're still technically a power running team, but no doubt the game has changed on offense.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Hudson's little bro View Post
    Is it Raphael Leonard?

Daniel Crowell? AJ Brown????
    Isn't Crowell at ole miss?

vCash
    I've heard Guidry and possibly Robert Foster. I know what Fred Brown did was bad but it sure did suck to lose him