Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WR transfer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    I thought Brewster's role in signing Fred was more legend than fact - that it was more Les Koenning and a family connection that got Fred on board.
    Hmm....I vaguely remember that, now that you say it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Couch and Todd are not good enough to win football games for us this Fall. We need a ready to play transfer. College players understand it's a competition every day.
    Unless they make some big jump over the summer, they look about another year away from being a good SEC WR. Couch looks the part but he didn't show it in the spring game. Our DBs pretty much dominated those 2. Todd looks like he needs another year in the weight room.

Banned
    vCash
    This all day. WR's are the biggest divas on the planet
    Well I guess it was a problem for Croom, Sherrill, and Felker too then. By my count, 2 WR total were drafted from those 3 coaches + Mullen put together, and one of those two was a transfer (Olanda Truitt).

ETA: Correction, apparently we had some others drafted that I wasn't aware of. 4 others drafted between 1987 and 1993. Then after Moulds we just hit the huge drop-off that we are still in. So, in Sherrill's last 7 years, all of Croom's 5 years, and the entire current Mullen era to date, we have not had a single WR drafted.
    Last edited by HSVDawg; 04-18-2017 at 09:51 AM.

vCash
    Isn't Oklahoma St. the school we snatched Ross from as he was originally committed to them?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Isn't Oklahoma St. the school we snatched Ross from as he was originally committed to them?
    Yes and it shows what type of talent he had since he is basically leaving with almost every receiving record at MSU. He did benefit from Dak though.

vCash
    Couch and Todd are not good enough to win football games for us this Fall. We need a ready to play transfer. College players understand it's a competition every day.
    I think we're a day late and a dollar short. There have been some viable transfers but we didn't get in the game. Should be no surprise to anyone that has followed recruiting the past 8 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I think we're a day late and a dollar short. There have been some viable transfers but we didn't get in the game. Should be no surprise to anyone that has followed recruiting the past 8 years.
    Mullen seems to have changed some things so hopefully we are going in the right direction with recruiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Mullen seems to have changed some things so hopefully we are going in the right direction with recruiting.
    I agree with that. I'm just very upset with our roster at the WR position. It's going to hold this team back.

vCash
    If this potential transfer is good enough to consistently demand enough attention to keep Gray from being smothered, he's worth bringing in. Not sure we have that right now and our outside passing game could be nonexistent and Gray wasted without it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't think he factors in like you think he does.

We recruit better than Oklahoma State at most other positions on the field, so it's odd to me when they happen to recruit dramatically better at one position.
    Well, they're apparently recruiting and developing WR better than every other program in the country, too, so it may be more a sign that they are extremely good at it than that we are extremely bad at it.

They also air it out like crazy and are known for good QB play and great WR play. That is a huge help in recruiting the next batch.
    Last edited by smootness; 04-18-2017 at 10:37 AM.

vCash
    Bandaids usually don't work very well. Where are we getting a receiver from this late in the process? I'll believe it when I see it.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    I thought Brewster's role in signing Fred was more legend than fact - that it was more Les Koenning and a family connection that got Fred on board.
    Correct. Brewster had a bigger hand in getting Gray, from my understanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Well I guess it was a problem for Croom, Sherrill, and Felker too then. By my count, 2 WR total were drafted from those 3 coaches + Mullen put together, and one of those two was a transfer (Olanda Truitt).

ETA: Correction, apparently we had some others drafted that I wasn't aware of. 4 others drafted between 1987 and 1993. Then after Moulds we just hit the huge drop-off that we are still in. So, in Sherrill's last 7 years, all of Croom's 5 years, and the entire current Mullen era to date, we have not had a single WR drafted.
    Well, our offense totally and completely sucked for most of those years, so it's not a big surprise. We also had no QB drafted during that time frame. Our WR play has improved quite a bit the last several years, and that, along with suddenly attractive QBs and a better offense, should hopefully allow WR recruiting to open up more.

But we're still seen as a run-based offense at a time when a ton of programs are airing it out all over the place. Auburn had Coates and Louis drafted recently but before that they had a big gap as well, and they haven't had nearly the number of WR you might expect for a program that recruits like they do and puts up the offense they do...largely because they're also seen as a run-based offense.

vCash
    NO TRANSFERS FROM TSUN.... NO NOT ONE....

vCash
    Our receiver woes are a curse. The length of the curse is one year for each time Jerry Rice drove through Starkville on his way to Itta Bena.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't think he factors in like you think he does.

We recruit better than Oklahoma State at most other positions on the field, so it's odd to me when they happen to recruit dramatically better at one position.
    I was being halfway serious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    NO TRANSFERS FROM TSUN.... NO NOT ONE....
    I agree. F$#U* everyone of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Heard rumors of a WR transfer we may be getting anything to it?
    I know Devonta Jason committed to Kansas but are we still on him? I wonder what our chances are with him since Key is here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    I know Devonta Jason committed to Kansas but are we still on him? I wonder what our chances are with him since Key is here.
    The only thing I know is that he's not going to Kansas.

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    Robert Foster?