Thread: Road to hosting

vCash

Road to hosting

20 SEC wins is an auto host. 19 very likely.

State: 25-13(10-5):

Alabama- Bama simply isnt very good. 2/3 is a must and a sweep would really build the excitement
    Auburn- Butch doing work here. Gonna be a tough series. Sweep Bama and win this series? We will host
    @aTm- road series are always tough. A&M is 26-11 and 8-7 in the SEC. Let's say we win 1.
    @Georgia- another road series but vs a bad team. Georgia is 15-22 and 4-11 in the SEC. Lets say 2.
    LSU- Final weekend of the season vs a good team and program. We'll likely be coming into it with anywhere from 17-19 SEC wins. 17 SEC wins and we'll need to win 2 for sure. A series win likely puts us in as a host.

We go as long as the pitching holds. Getting Billingsley back is another shot in the arm. He stepped up big yesterday- we just couldnt get it done at the plate. Getting Magnum out of a SP role and into a RP mode will be another boost to the staff. Simply amazing how Cann and Henderson are juggling these guys.

vCash
    I'm think it's going to be a little while before Mangum pitches again.

vCash
    If we end up hosting I think this has to be the best coaching performance at MSU in my lifetime in any sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    20 SEC wins is an auto host. 19 very likely.

State: 25-13(10-5):

Alabama- Bama simply isnt very good. 2/3 is a must and a sweep would really build the excitement
    Auburn- Butch doing work here. Gonna be a tough series. Sweep Bama and win this series? We will host
    @aTm- road series are always tough. A&M is 26-11 and 8-7 in the SEC. Let's say we win 1.
    @Georgia- another road series but vs a bad team. Georgia is 15-22 and 4-11 in the SEC. Lets say 2.
    LSU- Final weekend of the season vs a good team and program. We'll likely be coming into it with anywhere from 17-19 SEC wins. 17 SEC wins and we'll need to win 2 for sure. A series win likely puts us in as a host.

We go as long as the pitching holds. Getting Billingsley back is another shot in the arm. He stepped up big yesterday- we just couldnt get it done at the plate. Getting Magnum out of a SP role and into a RP mode will be another boost to the staff. Simply amazing how Cann and Henderson are juggling these guys.
    I agree on needing at least 19 conference wins. And I think it's very possible. The Bama and UGA series are the key. Win 5 of those and getting to 19 becomes likely.

I don't think Mangum will be used much as a RP, though. And once we get Rigby and Ashcraft back, we hopefully won't really need him there anyway.

vCash
    It's starting to look like a repeat of last season. Exciting as hell!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

I don't think Mangum will be used much as a RP, though. And once we get Rigby and Ashcraft back, we hopefully won't really need him there anyway.
    I agree with this. If Mangum was a role player, he could be used as a RP. But because he is so key to the top of the offense and the D, bringing him in from CF after a few innings is very, very different than prepping to be a starting pitcher. You just don't see many college players be RP who are offensive starters/stars.

vCash
    15 wins and Cann is hands down Sec COY and it shouldn't even be close
    Take 2/3 against LSU and 18 wins should get a host

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    I agree with this. If Mangum was a role player, he could be used as a RP. But because he is so key to the top of the offense and the D, bringing him in from CF after a few innings is very, very different than prepping to be a starting pitcher. You just don't see many college players be RP who are offensive starters/stars.
    I guess I don't get this. ALL of the guys we've had in our history that I can think of that played in the field and pitched were relief pitchers. Now yes, they were more late closers than middle relief but none were starters that I know of. And I'm talking about guys like Bobby Thigpen, Pete Young and even Reid Humphreys last year. This is really the first year I ever remember us having a guy who plays every day in the field being used as a starter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I guess I don't get this. ALL of the guys we've had in our history that I can think of that played in the field and pitched were relief pitchers. Now yes, they were more late closers than middle relief but none were starters that I know of. And I'm talking about guys like Bobby Thigpen, Pete Young and even Reid Humphreys last year. This is really the first year I ever remember us having a guy who plays every day in the field being used as a starter.
    Reid, if I recall correctly, wasn't an everyday fielder. He was platooned in LF and used as a DH often. Which allowed him to be much more rested in the 7th inning than, say, Mangum, who is doing wind sprints in CF for 2 hours before having to come in the game, if used as a RP.

vCash
    We would bring CT Bradford in from Center Field for lefty match ups occasionally. Moreland closed for the 2007 Omaha team.

I know it is hard to sweep anyone, but we need to take care of business and sweep UGA and Bama, they are both garbage. Then we would only need to find 3-4 wins between the A&M, LSU and Auburn series to lock in a host spot.

Fridays are going to be the key. Pilkington has 5 more SEC starts, and our magic number is 9, imo. We HAVE to produce offensively on Fridays for Pilkington.

vCash
    That LSU series gonna be lit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg34 View Post
    We would bring CT Bradford in from Center Field for lefty match ups occasionally. Moreland closed for the 2007 Omaha team.

I know it is hard to sweep anyone, but we need to take care of business and sweep UGA and Bama, they are both garbage. Then we would only need to find 3-4 wins between the A&M, LSU and Auburn series to lock in a host spot.

Fridays are going to be the key. Pilkington has 5 more SEC starts, and our magic number is 9, imo. We HAVE to produce offensively on Fridays for Pilkington.
    DD, he lives!!!! He is alive!