Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As temperatures start to increase PSA

vCash

As temperatures start to increase PSA

2017 has 1st toddler die from being left in a hot car. That's one too many. ALWAYS remember to check the backseat. This is 100% preventable.

vCash
    I couldn't imagine living with the grief of that. My neighbor accidentally shot and killed his teenage son while hunting last year. He'll never get over that.

vCash
    I can't image how this keeps happening. Just like people keep getting smashed by a train trying to cross. Just keeps happening.

vCash
    My daughter rented a chevy to come this Easter and when you killed the eng a message appeared in the dash around the area of the speedometer to check the backseat.

I thought that was a very neat feature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    I couldn't imagine living with the grief of that. My neighbor accidentally shot and killed his teenage son while hunting last year. He'll never get over that.
    Speaking of things that should never happen.....a grown man shooting and not knowing what he is shooting at. I could see leaving a kid in the back seat before that.....either way tragic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I can't image how this keeps happening. Just like people keep getting smashed by a train trying to cross. Just keeps happening.
    There is no rhyme or reason to the types of people who have this happen to them. It occurs because your brain is an incredibly powerful thing, which allows you to complete multiple tasks simultaneously without much thought on what you're doing, such as driving. Have you ever driven somewhere, arrived, and then couldn't remember a thing about your drive? That's how it happens and it terrifies me every day, as my wife leaves to take the kids to daycare. We've instituted a rule in our house that you have to text before you leave daycare that the drop off went fine to alert the other.

I can't imagine living a life knowing I did something a like this.

vCash
    This problem has existed since man & woman first walked this earth " THERE IS NO INTELLIGENCE TEST GIVEN TO BE A PARENT" any fool can have a child, and there are a lot of people with children that should not be allowed to reproduce. Now I am off my soapbox.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    Speaking of things that should never happen.....a grown man shooting and not knowing what he is shooting at. I could see leaving a kid in the back seat before that.....either way tragic
    I'm a firm believer that there aren't any "gun accidents"...

Also, I can't imagine forgetting about a baby... but I'm not qualified in that department (as I have none)....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    This problem has existed since man & woman first walked this earth " THERE IS NO INTELLIGENCE TEST GIVEN TO BE A PARENT" any fool can have a child, and there are a lot of people with children that should not be allowed to reproduce. Now I am off my soapbox.
    License breeding.

No.

Banned
    vCash
    I hear youMissouri. But I can't help thinking drugs aren't playing a role in leaving a baby in the car. During my drinking problem days I could never imagine doing that with my son. Impossible.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    My daughter rented a chevy to come this Easter and when you killed the eng a message appeared in the dash around the area of the speedometer to check the backseat.

I thought that was a very neat feature.
    It's sad that parents have to be reminded that their own child is in the damn back seat. Where the hell is their mind?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I hear youMissouri. But I can't help thinking drugs aren't playing a role in leaving a baby in the car. During my drinking problem days I could never imagine doing that with my son. Impossible.
    Listen to "Breakdown" season 2. Podcast by the Atlanta Journal Constitution. It follows the trial of an Atlanta man who did just this.

All advanced research cannot find any consistent link in hot car deaths. It happens to white people and black people. Rich people and poor people. Great parents and shitty parents. Addicts and Christians. It's about your brain and until you admit that, personally, your awareness on how to prevent it cannot proceed.

As the Texas heat starts coming in, I'm probably going to try and buy a product to prevent this. I have a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old now and just can't imagine doing this. I think the Sense-a-Life products looks solid, but I'm not sure of its availability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    You're right, in that there are a lot of people on the planet who should not reproduce. But it has nothing to do with this topic and all advanced research on hot car deaths proves my point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    You're right, in that there are a lot of people on the planet who should not reproduce. But it has nothing to do with this topic and all advanced research on hot car deaths proves my point.
    Yea, I haven't looked at any of the research, but I strongly encourage every parent to accept the idea that this can absolutely happen to anybody and to be vigilant about preventing it.

My wife used to take my boy to daycare every day, but every once in a while she would need to go in early and I would need to take him. Well his daycare is at the same exit as my office, and after fighting traffic, listening to the radio, etc. for 30 minutes, there were a couple of times that I just fell back into my normal routine, took the exit and turned right to go to my office instead of turning left to go to daycare.....now I always realized my mistake before getting to my office, but it's not hard to see how a situation like that could end tragically for a great, loving parent with a lot going on at work and a sleeping baby in a rear facing car seat.

We are creatures of habit, so don't take on the mindset that you are above this and that this could only happen to a shitty parent. Every parent should put some type of system in place to prevent this....I put my briefcase in the back seat by the car seat, my wife and I text each other to make sure he got dropped off ok, etc.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    Yea, I haven't looked at any of the research, but I strongly encourage every parent to accept the idea that this can absolutely happen to anybody and to be vigilant about preventing it.

My wife used to take my boy to daycare every day, but every once in a while she would need to go in early and I would need to take him. Well his daycare is at the same exit as my office, and after fighting traffic, listening to the radio, etc. for 30 minutes, there were a couple of times that I just fell back into my normal routine, took the exit and turned right to go to my office instead of turning left to go to daycare.....now I always realized my mistake before getting to my office, but it's not hard to see how a situation like that could end tragically for a great, loving parent with a lot going on at work and a sleeping baby in a rear facing car seat.

We are creatures of habit, so don't take on the mindset that you are above this and that this could only happen to a shitty parent. Every parent should put some type of system in place to prevent this....I put my briefcase in the back seat by the car seat, my wife and I text each other to make sure he got dropped off ok, etc.
    I hear that a cell phone works well too. Anything to get you to double check can't hurt.

vCash
    Cell phone is a great way to do it. Or a shoe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AFDawg View Post
    Cell phone is a great way to do it. Or a shoe.
    The shoe is a great idea. You ain't walking into the office without that.

vCash
    Regarding the cell phone, (briefcase or shoe, etc) idea....

Is this to infer that those items are too important or necessary to forget or go without??

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post

Is this to infer that those items are too important or necessary to forget or go without??
    Yes. How long can you go from the time you exit your car without a shoe? One step on the concrete, for most people before they realize the shoe is in the backseat by the baby.

It can happen to anyone

Sandwolf - my wife usually does the daycare drop off too, but on the rare occasion that I do, I occasionally fall into my routine as well. Daycare is left out of the neighborhood and work is right. I have turned right before with the kid in the backseat. Luckily, I've never gone more than 250 yards before I realize what I've done... but I can easily see how this could happen to anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post

You'll look for them more quickly than other items and realize they're missing. You're not used to looking for your kid at work. I don't think anyone is implying that your left shoe is more important than your child.