Thread: Osceola turkey hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Osceola turkey hunting

Has anyone been to FL this year? We just got back. Was wondering if you found Osceolas to be very unresponsive to calling? We had tough hunting, but my son finished off his GS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonmd View Post
    Has anyone been to FL this year? We just got back. Was wondering if you found Osceolas to be very unresponsive to calling? We had tough hunting, but my son finished off his GS.
    What general area of the state were you in? Public or private? Planning on going next year to a family members farm outside of Orlando. Really looking forward to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    What general area of the state were you in? Public or private? Planning on going next year to a family members farm outside of Orlando. Really looking forward to it.
    We were below Orlando, near Lake Wales on private land. Tough birds to hunt! Very call unresponsive. Almost have to ambush them. Hunting over feeders is common. Make sure you don't book with Jeff Budz. Was not a good experience for us. Good luck!

vCash
    Do they act any different than Easterns? I've never hunted anywhere except MS and these birds have got to be as tough as anywhere to hunt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Do they act any different than Easterns? I've never hunted anywhere except MS and these birds have got to be as tough as anywhere to hunt
    Yes! They just ignore calling. You have to get in between where they want to go and hope you can ambush them. Can be very frustrating! Sunday am we had the best setup I could imagine on 2 Toms and they completely walked right around us and basically shot us the "bird". HaHaHa !

vCash
    Actually I have heard that the Osceolas are about done with breeding season. I have friends that hunted in the early part of the season that had great luck, but the hens were already laying eggs. Even one rancher said that all of the gobblers are back in bachelor groups.

I've heard multiple reports of poults already being hatched in MS and FL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Actually I have heard that the Osceolas are about done with breeding season. I have friends that hunted in the early part of the season that had great luck, but the hens were already laying eggs. Even one rancher said that all of the gobblers are back in bachelor groups.

I've heard multiple reports of poults already being hatched in MS and FL.
    Were going back next year on opening weekend, but definitely with different outfitter! TagItWorldwide sucked!

vCash
    Wonder if mild winter is to account for early hatching?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonmd View Post
    Wonder if mild winter is to account for early hatching?
    I would say so , especially the warm month of February for us. I know I heard birds firing off about mid February.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    I would say so , especially the warm month of February for us. I know I heard birds firing off about mid February.
    Yep, First birds I heard gobbling with a purpose were around the 6-7th of feb. I still don't think it changes too much from year to year and you can find receptive gobblers up right through the end of the season. I definitely think the weather played a role. But, most hens breed on the light cycle. So as the days get longer they get closer to being ready. I think weather can change things up by around a week or a bit more. I have already seen a group of young polts which means that hen would have been laying middle end of february. Was definitely a strange year as the birds never really seemed to get on a roll. It was very sporadic for me as far as gobbling went. Usually during the season you will catch several consecutive days of hard gobbling turkeys, I never seemed to have those days. May have just been when I was able to go etc. Seemed like one morning they would gobble alright and the very next, wouldn't hear a peep even on consecutive high pressure pretty days.