Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: What lines have y'all used to get cable/satellite companies to come off prices?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    All I asked was that a loyal customer for over a decade be given the same offer as someone that has never paid you a penny. I was very rudely told that was for new customers only. So I'm worth less to you than a new subscriber. Fine. I'm going to pay my bill coming up due here in a few days and it will be the last dime you ever get of mine. I am actively looking at other options and will have switched before my next bill comes due. I don't think I was asking a lot, and then to be so rudely dismissed was the difference. So enjoy the last of my money you get. From here on out it will be going to a competitor while I let as many people as I can how you feel about your loyal customers.
    Same thing happened to me. and I've been with them almost 20 years. Rude bastard pretty much told me to go jump in a lake. Thing is I have zero leverage. Live in a very rural area with terrible internet connection. I don't want to go to Dish because they don't have MLB Extra Innings which is all I watch for 5 months.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. They finally responded back on twitter and sweetened the offer some. Enough that I am going to take it so avoid having to make a rushed decision on what to change to. One thing I did was never tell them I was in a rural area. So far as they know I am in an area that offers everything.

One interesting note. Guy asked me if I was a huge Bulldog fan. Told him I was. He replied back that he had been told that a MSU football game and tailgate atmosphere is one that he should experience being a huge college football fan. Told him damn straight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Same thing happened to me. and I've been with them almost 20 years. Rude bastard pretty much told me to go jump in a lake. Thing is I have zero leverage. Live in a very rural area with terrible internet connection. I don't want to go to Dish because they don't have MLB Extra Innings which is all I watch for 5 months.
    I'm in the same boat. They finally responded back on twitter and sweetened the offer some. Enough that I am going to take it so avoid having to make a rushed decision on what to change to. One thing I did was never tell them I was in a rural area. So far as they know I am in an area that offers everything.

One interesting note. Guy asked me if I was a huge Bulldog fan. Told him I was. He replied back that he had been told that a MSU football game and tailgate atmosphere is one that he should experience being a huge college football fan. Told him damn straight.[/QUOTE]

Did they put you under a new contract?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Just tell them you are going to switch if they don't lower your rate.
    Literally this. That's all you have to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post

Did they put you under a new contract?
    They put me under one for the term of my discounted period of one year. No contract after the discount wears off. To be honest, I am fine with that. I got the discount I wanted and it gives me time to explore my options with out being rushed had I dropped them now. It will also give C Spire an extra year to see if they can get fiber out to my neighborhood. Small chance, I know, but you never know. But this time I will start exploring my options a month or two before this period expires so if I want to change I already know what I want and have it lined up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Literally this. That's all you have to do.
    Not for me. I tried that , and the guy was like,"OK, go ahead". Then there was awkward silence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    Not for me. I tried that , and the guy was like,"OK, go ahead". Then there was awkward silence.
    Same here, didn't work at all. The guy was ready to cancel it and get off the phone. He wasn't rude, but that wasn't going to work. Looking into PSVue now and FireTV sticks for all TVs. I think I'm going to get the trial for PSVue and get the $40 firestick and see how it works.

vCash
    Same here, didn't work at all. The guy was ready to cancel it and get off the phone. He wasn't rude, but that wasn't going to work. Looking into PSVue now and FireTV sticks for all TVs. I think I'm going to get the trial for PSVue and get the $40 firestick and see how it works.
    That is most likely what I will end up going with this time next year. Just really hoping between now and then internet provider options improve where I live.

vCash
    I've pointed out my loyalty for many years and the fact that I have all services from them ( internet, three cell phones, and DirecTV). For the past two years they have sent me to their loyalty dept and given me very good discounts for a 1 year contract. I went for years paying them (AT&T) on a month to month basis with no contract, b4 I went on a one year deal last year and again this year. It often depends on who you talk to and their physical customer service location. A rep in LA, tried to stick me with some hidden charges. Rep in Ohio has allegedly made them go away, next month's bill will tell the tale. Their internet service is great in my area.

vCash
    If you can get good internet then you should just go ahead and make the switch to Sling or Vue. I recently switched to Sling after being with DirectTv for years and haven't looked back. Cut my bill in half and got everything I need plus more. Put up an antenna for the locals and you'll be set. When I called to cancel Directv they acted like they couldn't have given two sh*ts so it just confirmed the fact that I didn't want to give them another dime of my hard earned money.

vCash
    From what I can tell I can get golf channel on psvue, does anyone know about something that offers tennis channel in hd? That would be something that would weigh heavily on my decision but can't find much info about it other than regular satellite and cable.

vCash
    From what I can tell I can get golf channel on psvue, does anyone know about something that offers tennis channel in hd? That would be something that would weigh heavily on my decision but can't find much info about it other than regular satellite and cable.
    You could always just add the Tennis channel seperate if you had something like a Roku or Firestick. You'd be looking at an additional $7 to $8 a month though: http://www.tennischanneleverywhere.c...s-channel-plus

vCash
    I just switched from Direct to AT&T fiber U-verse in the Rez area. When I called to cancel Direct the sales rep said she saw I was a customer for over 10 years and asked if she could give me my same package for $65/month would I stay. I was paying $136 for the Choice Package, no premium channels. I'm now paying $132/mo for more channels, faster internet and home phone. When I told her what I was getting along with the price she said, "Well, we can't beat that". If these greedy bastards would just offer a decent price people wouldn't shop around so much.

vCash
    That is most likely what I will end up going with this time next year. Just really hoping between now and then internet provider options improve where I live.
    It sounds like you're out of the reach of cable internet as well?

I had cable one. Was paying about $65 / month for tv. Cut it off. Bought a fire stick and a fire tv box. Purchased a $25 leaf antenna for local HD channels (for NFL games). Have Netflix and SlingTV so pay about $30 / month for that. Have no issues streaming it on cable internet. The sling package I have has SEC network as well as access to watch espn. Allows me to watch all of the bulldog baseball games that are on SEC network plus. I have no intention of going back to cable or looking at Dish / Direct TV. This setup has worked great for me.

vCash
    I've got to make my annual call to Direct TV today gripe about their rates and wondered what lines y'all have used to great success. I've always just stuck with why should I pay you $132 when I can get the same thing from Dish for $55, but was wondering if anybody out there had any off the wall talking points that really racked up the discounts and concessions.
    I posted this about 4 months ago... Hope it helps...

Others on here helped me earlier this year and will be better to help than I. (I got Sling (w ESPN) $35... Netflix $7... Internet is ~$60...)

But I will tell you how to be "armed". Come from a position of "fvck you". This actually happened:

DirectTV: Direct TV, this is Steve, may I help you?
    Tusk: Steve, I would like to cancel DTV. Would you send me some prepaid boxes so that I may return your equipment?
    DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, we would be happy to reapply your discounts to lower your rate, as your are a valued customer.
    Tusk: Steve, I would like to cancel DTV. Would you send me some prepaid boxes so that I may return your equipment?
    DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, I'll come over and mow your lawn if you'll stay with DTV.*
    Tusk: Steve, I want to cancel.
    DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, you have a contract with us and it will cost you $200 to cancel. You have a contract.
    Tusk: Yeah, and you broke your own contract by raising my rates, and I'm not gonna pay it.
    DirectTV: But, we'll sue you, and you'll have to go to court.
    Tusk: I'm not gonna pay it. Are you going to come to my house to collect this money, Steve? Are you going to come and take me to court?
    (Steve seems like a cool guy just trying to do his job, and he's on to me, now)
    DirectTV: No sir.
    Tusk: Ok. So, we agree that you aren't coming to my house and that I'm not giving you any more money. Do you like options, in life, Steve?
    DirectTV: Yes sir.
    Tusk: Well, Steve, here are your options: You can A) Send me prepaid boxes with which to return your equipment or B) I am going to take my 47 HP 4WD tractor, dig a hole in my pasture, bury it, and compact the soil back on top of it.
    DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, I choose Option A; the boxes will go in the mail today.
    Tusk: Thanks for your time, Steve. Have a great day.
    DirectTV: Good Bye, Mr. Tusk.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I was reading this thread last week, and it made me decide to call and bitch about my own bill since it had been steadily increasing over the last few months. I also purchased a 4k receiver back in August that hasn't worked right since installing the damn thing. They wanted to charge me more money to swap the receiver out for what I had previously...called it an "upgrade" even though I was actually downgrading equipment.

Anyway, long story short, I called yesterday and cancelled my service. They were to turn it off at the end of the this billing cycle. I got a call this morning begging me to stay. My bill is going from $168.xx to $88.xx for the next 12 months, and they are sending a tech to my house to swap my 4k receiver with a standard HD receiver.

Thought I would pass it along for you guys hesitant about threatening them to leave. I was ready to pull the plug anyway, because I watch Kodi more than anything these days.

Hope this helps.