Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Soooooooo..... we played Stovall at SS

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Good thing things have improved since then.
    wtf ever. That generation is wayyyy ahead of this "participating trophy" generation....Now get the hell off my lawn!!!!**

vCash
    This thread got me thinking... what are acceptable reasons to miss a game and should our athletic department have a policy on this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaDawgs View Post
    WHAT A 17n LOSER
    He is the reason that Jake is at MSU rather than Bama. It was in an article Bob wrote a while back, but keep calling people 17n losers if it makes you feel better about yourself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadisonDawg View Post
    He is the reason that Jake is at MSU rather than Bama. It was in an article Bob wrote a while back, but keep calling people 17n losers if it makes you feel better about yourself.
    Gee thanks!!! I didnt know that. It would be a real shame if I knew KentuckyDawg personally and was intentionally messing with him. That would probably really ruin your fun on here.

UPDATE: I feel so much better about myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaDawgs View Post
    Gee thanks!!! I didnt know that. It would be a real shame if I knew KentuckyDawg personally and was intentionally messing with him. That would probably really ruin your fun on here.

UPDATE: I feel so much better about myself.
    DHarp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    wtf ever. That generation is wayyyy ahead of this "participating trophy" generation....Now get the hell off my lawn!!!!**
    Just like that generation wasn't as good as the one before it, which wasn't as good as the one before it, which wasn't as good as the one before it, and on and on. Every generation says the same thing about the ones that come after it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Ok 1 out of 12 vs 1 out of 30. Is it an inconvenience yes but the overreaction is laughable. He's missing 2% of the season. 3.3% of the conference schedule. It's not a major issue.
    My brother tried to schedule his wedding during the Spring of '97. I told him no way in hell I am missing one game of my junior season at State. Figure out another time before or after the season or I'm not gonna be there. He moved it to July like a good sibling should have. Dick move by the sister if you ask me.....

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Wow. Our shortstop is going to miss a conference game for a wedding? That is absolutely unbelievable.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtdawg View Post
    My brother tried to schedule his wedding during the Spring of '97. I told him no way in hell I am missing one game of my junior season at State. Figure out another time before or after the season or I'm not gonna be there. He moved it to July like a good sibling should have. Dick move by the sister if you ask me.....
    Well obviously Gridley thinks more of him & his sisters relationship than you & your brother. Just a question was your brother getting ready to head clear across the country & start a medical residency where he wasn't going to be able to pick & choose another wedding date freely?

vCash
    I know this is not exactly to the subject, but back in the early '70's, I had a frat brother get married, his fiance was not a State student and she resented the fraternity, because she felt the frat had taken her boyfriend and made him wild (could've been). So she scheduled their wedding on the day of the Ole Miss game at the exact time of the opening kickoff (so none of us would show up). To her surprise, every fraternity brother showed up and each had a transistor radio in our pocket with a earphone in our ears (even the groomsman). Yes, we drank up all the liquor at the reception.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Well obviously Gridley thinks more of him & his sisters relationship than you & your brother. Just a question was your brother getting ready to head clear across the country & start a medical residency where he wasn't going to be able to pick & choose another wedding date freely?
    I don't know about his Family situation, but my sister would absolutely understand that missing a conference SEC baseball game for her wedding wouldn't be acceptable (and we are very close). She would care enough about me to make the decision for me and not make me put my team in this situation, because she is a reasonable human being.
    Last edited by Jarius; 04-12-2017 at 07:03 PM.

vCash
    I'll say this about the wedding and I'm not going to say who is right and who is wrong but knowing all of the information my two cents is this:

One thing my Dad told me about baseball when I was a child was the higher you go and the further you go in baseball, the more serious it becomes.

Just because you go on a residency it doesn't mean that they can't get days/time off to do things. I've been in health care for about 15 years now and have been in teaching hospitals for 13 of those years now. I've known a lot of residents over the years from work. Some of them got married while they were on their residency on their time off. A residency while it does involve training as a MD it also is a job. They get paid (significantly less than a regular MD of course). They get days off just like anyone else that works in the hospital.

Now that said, I obviously understand that weddings and getting married are very big deals.

This is the Gridley family's deal and if they want to do it this way for whatever reason that's fine and it is what it is. At the same time I think the truth is it probably could have been at a different time- but like I said it isn't and it's their families deal. It's going to get spun like it was totally unavoidable and all of that but that's pretty unlikely if we're all being honest here. At any rate, Cann approved it and for all we know Cann may make Gridley do something extra to make up for it that we don't see.

I see a lot of people that don't seem to understand why some posters think that Gridley skipping out is bogus. Refer to the quote by my Dad. Personally, I don't think that they are wrong to feel that way. SEC baseball is probably distant second only to MLB as far as being the most watched and invested in baseball league in America. You'll see more SEC baseball games than you will AAA baseball games televised. Once you get to this level of baseball in the SEC you all of a sudden are going to find a lot of fans that care. When you sign up for SEC baseball, you sign up with the scrutiny that goes along with it- right or wrong. And because fans care they expect the players that are healthy to be there and play. And I'll be honest a player skipping a game to be in a wedding sounds like something you would hear about in high school ball. And if a player and a family in college baseball was adamant that the player needed to be at a wedding, I would probably make the player do something reasonable on the side to make up for it- like spend an extra day coaching kids at the MSU baseball camp or something like that.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Tough shit it's happening. All will live. ****ing get over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Exactly. 3B and shortstop are completely different animals. 3B requires the fastest reaction time of any infield position for a majority of hitters (RH). It's not like anyone who can play SS can just automatically play 3B (although for some elite infielders it is not a difficult transition). And based on Stovall short arming those throws last night I would say that its easy to see why he hasn't been tried on the left side of the infield before now.
    No. No again. And a 3rd time No

If Belmont was a SS option- the coach would ****ing play him at SS. Yet no move he makes puts Belmont at SS. That means- he isnt a SS

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    No. No again. And a 3rd time No

If Belmont was a SS option- the coach would ****ing play him at SS. Yet no move he makes puts Belmont at SS. That means- he isnt a SS
    It also means Stovall isn't a third baseman by the very same logic. He hasn't played a game there this year, has he? Not even when it was way early on and we were trying different people in different positions all over the place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    It also means Stovall isn't a third baseman by the very same logic. He hasn't played a game there this year, has he? Not even when it was way early on and we were trying different people in different positions all over the place.
    If you have the arm to play SS- you more than have the arm to play 3B. Your best 2 IF's always play SS-2B. It's pretty obvious at this point

Banned
    vCash
    If you have the arm to play SS- you more than have the arm to play 3B. Your best 2 IF's always play SS-2B. It's pretty obvious at this point
    The arm isn't the issue. It's the reaction time.

Here are some numbers for you. Alexander has started 31 of 35 games at 3B, and finished another there when he moved over from 2B. Dustin Skelton (a freaking back-up catcher) started two games there (again, with LA starting at 2B). Harrison Bragg and Cody Brown each started a game at 3B, and Bragg finished another game over there that LA started.

In summary, we have tried a back-up catcher, a converted outfielder, and a DH type with no current position at 3B, and we have not so much as given Stovall a single inning over there.

It's really not about what you think (or me either for that matter). Cannizaro doesn't think Stovall can play 3B, and the proof is right there in the box scores. I don't know what else to tell you.

vCash
    The proof is there fo sho- Cann has no intention to play Belmont at SS

vCash
    The proof is there fo sho- Cann has no intention to play Belmont at SS
    And he has no intention of playing Stovall at 3b

vCash
    Damn, of all the threads to go 6+ pages long...