Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring game, players that stood out...

vCash

Spring game, players that stood out...

I don't have many comments on the game, but here's who stood out to me.

Brian Cole: I was really impressed with his burst to the ball and to the ball carrier. Looks like a playmaker

Dantzler: I hope he can put on at least 5-10 pounds over the summer, but he did a pretty good Jon Banks impression with that number 13. He showed good ball skills and he came up and laid a hit one time which was impressive.

Nick Gibson: Looks like we won't have much of a drop off when Aeris needs a rest.

Tim Washington: I wasn't really that high on him when we signed him, but he showed a little something at LB. Makes me feel better about our depth behind Leo and Dez.

Overall, I think our defense is going to be drastically improved from last year.

Offensively, I just don't know what to say about Rankin at Center. I'm still hoping that's just a move to have depth behind Calhoun, but it's very puzzling/concerning to me. None of the WR's impressed me very much. Todd showed that he could get some separation but he looks very raw. Hopefully, he can get on the JUGGS machine and work on refining some things and can help us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I don't have many comments on the game, but here's who stood out to me.

Brian Cole: I was really impressed with his burst to the ball and to the ball carrier. Looks like a playmaker

Dantzler: I hope he can put on at least 5-10 pounds over the summer, but he did a pretty good Jon Banks impression with that number 13. He showed good ball skills and he came up and laid a hit one time which was impressive.

Nick Gibson: Looks like we won't have much of a drop off when Aeris needs a rest.

Tim Washington: I wasn't really that high on him when we signed him, but he showed a little something at LB. Makes me feel better about our depth behind Leo and Dez.

Overall, I think our defense is going to be drastically improved from last year.

Offensively, I just don't know what to say about Rankin at Center. I'm still hoping that's just a move to have depth behind Calhoun, but it's very puzzling/concerning to me. None of the WR's impressed me very much. Todd showed that he could get some separation but he looks very raw. Hopefully, he can get on the JUGGS machine and work on refining some things and can help us.
    If our WRs don't wear out a few JUGGS machines then we better hope our TEs are phenomenal. Our DBs looked like they wanted the ball a lot more than our WRs. That is one thing that Bear was fantastic at. Fighting for the ball like its a rebound and you are Dennis Rodman.

vCash
    Todd is raw and needs to be more sure handed, but I was impressed his ball skills. I thought he really showed some instincts for adjusting his body and using it to make a play. Now he just needs to learn finish the play.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Todd is raw and needs to be more sure handed, but I was impressed his ball skills. I thought he really showed some instincts for adjusting his body and using it to make a play. Now he just needs to learn finish the play.
    I will say Couch "looks" like a SEC WR. Hopefully between Couch, Todd, or Mitchell, one of them steps up. Fitz decision making has to be better in the Fall than it was on Saturday. It looked like he didn't take it very seriously but throwing Ints will lose games in the fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I will say Couch "looks" like a SEC WR. Hopefully between Couch, Todd, or Mitchell, one of them steps up. Fitz decision making has to be better in the Fall than it was on Saturday. It looked like he didn't take it very seriously but throwing Ints will lose games in the fall.
    He does look the part, but on the field he looks better suited for a TE/WR hybrid role. Maybe he can run some inside routes like Bear did at times.

I think our passing yardage is going to come from Aeris out of the backfield. Then it's going to be Mixon and the TE's in the middle of the field. And about 5-7 targets per game to Gray. The other outside receiver spot is going to occupy a DB and maybe catch 30 balls all year. Todd needs to master the 9 route.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    He does look the part, but on the field he looks better suited for a TE/WR hybrid role. Maybe he can run some inside routes like Bear did at times.

I think our passing yardage is going to come from Aeris out of the backfield. Then it's going to be Mixon and the TE's in the middle of the field. And about 5-7 targets per game to Gray. The other outside receiver spot is going to occupy a DB and maybe catch 30 balls all year. Todd needs to master the 9 route.
    Hopefully Gabe Myles stays healthy and Thomas is pretty fast in the slot. I wouldn't mind running some 2 TE sets with D Lee at Fullback. Dan needs to get creative like he did when he first got here.

vCash
    Abram stood out.

Banned
    vCash
    A lot of people are fretting about Fitz's performance Saturday, but he's one of the people I'm least worried about.

Banned
    vCash
    And it's the spring game. You can tell nothing, and it means nothing.

vCash
    Kobe Jones

Cam Dantzler

Nick Gibson

Errol Thompson

Brian Cole

Jonathan Abram

Gabe Myles looked like he fixed the drops

vCash
    was quite impressed with Eiland @ LT on maroon. 6'8" 320 and just swallowed up Green/Spencer/Fletch all 1H as they couldn't get around him or bye him....all while Fitz wasn't allowed to run. Was nice seeing Aeris & Nick cut off his butt for those runs too. Kind of liking the idea of him as a 3-4 year starter @ LT. Moves much better than I thought. I only saw 1H though.

Eiland Jenkins Rankin Calhoun (or Williams) Reese L to R. good to go

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justwin View Post
    was quite impressed with Eiland @ LT on maroon. 6'8" 320 and just swallowed up Green/Spencer/Fletch all 1H as they couldn't get around him or bye him....all while Fitz wasn't allowed to run. Was nice seeing Aeris & Nick cut off his butt for those runs too. Kind of liking the idea of him as a 3-4 year starter @ LT. Moves much better than I thought. I only saw 1H though.

Eiland Jenkins Rankin Calhoun (or Williams) Reese L to R. good to go
    if Eiland starts for us- we will be a 5-6 win team. The defense didnt blitz and get after us in the Spring Game.

vCash
    I noticed there were some well thrown balls by Nick and Key that were dropped or knocked out. There were also several times defenders hit way early but no PI was called. Receivers gotta put those away on the bright side though they were getting some separation and our run game with Aeris/Gibson looked good and that was without hardly any QB runs. I honestly don't know how much you can glean from that game Though without 2 ol starters and half the starting wr corps not playing. I could see anywhere from 6 wins to 9.

vCash
    We are a 7-5 football team.

Part of the reason the D looked so good was Mixon and Gray sitting out- plus 2 OL starters
    Part of the reason the OL didnt look rough was the D hardly blitzed
    Our struggle in the passing game shows our lack of talent at WR

We will be better on D in 2017
    Our offense will be solid in 2017 unless we have OL injuries- we have zero depth.
    Our kicking game is shit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post

Part of the reason the D looked so good was Mixon and Gray sitting out- plus 2 OL starters

Our offense will be solid in 2017 unless we have OL injuries- we have zero depth.
    Our kicking game is shit
    Kicking doesn't mean shit until you are shit. Kicking should never cost you games, but occasionally win them for you. Ours has, and will again, cost us games.

vCash

Our kicking game is shit
    I think that's a pretty fair assessment on all points although I hope Day might help in the kicking game. And I think with Mixon and Gray back the WRs will be a tad better. I think our TEs and RBs may be big in passing game this year.

vCash

Our kicking game is shit

Would you be happy with a 8-5 season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Would you be happy with a 8-5 season
    Only if the 8th win occurred during regular season cause bowl games don't count*********

vCash

Our kicking game is shit
    Shows how far we've come in 10 years that that many glaring deficiencies equates to a 7-5 projection rather than 3-9.

vCash

Our kicking game is shit
    Anything from 6-6 to 8-4 would not surprise me.