Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Kicker Commit

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    We are several below 85 for this upcoming 2017 season, but this is a 2018 kid. How many below 85 we are currently means nothing for him. We have a very small senior class leaving after 2017, so it will require some more attrition to get anywhere close to a full class next February. He won't get a full ride unless we miss late on several guys on our wish list. Which, given our track record, is entirely possible.
    McPherson is a scholarship guy. He has a full ride. The preferred walk on is a 2017 kid. Daniel Mills #1 kicker in Ohio this past year.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    McPherson is a scholarship guy. He has a full ride. The preferred walk on is a 2017 kid. Daniel Mills #1 kicker in Ohio this past year.
    Gotcha.

vCash
    Not to argue IYOK, but every article I've read on different sites say preferred walkon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Not to argue IYOK, but every article I've read on different sites say preferred walkon.
    See the last paragraph.

If McPherson signs with the Bulldogs, he will be their first scholarship kicker since Sean Brauchle did so in the 2009 class.

http://gridironnow.com/evan-mcpherso...issippi-state/

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Evan McPherson is a scholarship kicker in the 2018 class. Daniel Mills is a preferred walk on for the 2017 class.

vCash
    OK

vCash
    Though I don't recall the circumstances of 1996, the only year JWS had a kicker under .500, or any other season that wasn't great....I do recall our kickers under Mullen missing chip-shot-after-chip-shot, and so many xpt's.

I don't recall getting to the point under JWS where I'd scream at my TV for him to not attempt a 30-yard FG.....even on 4th and long. I do have that somewhat fresh in my mind under Dan.

It's one thing for a kicker to miss half his FG's if most of those misses are near or over 50 yards. It's another if a larger % are what most teams would consider automatic.

Let's also not forget a few of those "makes" under Dan were chip-shots that clanged in off the upright, or came close. We have had some big-time choke jobs and head cases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    Though I don't recall the circumstances of 1996, the only year JWS had a kicker under .500, or any other season that wasn't great....I do recall our kickers under Mullen missing chip-shot-after-chip-shot, and so many xpt's.

I don't recall getting to the point under JWS where I'd scream at my TV for him to not attempt a 30-yard FG.....even on 4th and long. I do have that somewhat fresh in my mind under Dan.

It's one thing for a kicker to miss half his FG's if most of those misses are near or over 50 yards. It's another if a larger % are what most teams would consider automatic.

Let's also not forget a few of those "makes" under Dan were chip-shots that clanged in off the upright, or came close. We have had some big-time choke jobs and head cases.
    Kicking under JWS:
    63.67%

Kicking under CDM:
    68%

If we went 0/10 kicking this year, CDM would still have a higher % than JWS.
    Now, does this tell the whole story? No, it never does, but to try to say JWS kicking was way better than CDM's seems like a bit of a stretch.

Edited to Add:
    After comparing the 2 MSU coaches stats, I really don't see many areas where CDM hasn't been better than JWS. Defense is the only one I see.
    *Sorry for the double off topic.
    Last edited by sleepy dawg; 04-09-2017 at 01:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    Kicking under JWS:
    63.67%

Kicking under CDM:
    68%

If we went 0/10 kicking this year, CDM would still have a higher % than JWS.
    Now, does this tell the whole story? No, it never does, but to try to say JWS kicking was way better than CDM's seems like a bit of a stretch.
    I didn't. Read again. I said I don't recall us having so many missed chip-shots and xpt's, and that I don't recall literally yelling at my TV set at a coach for attempting a short FG when I & everyone else watching KNEW we were gonna miss it.

I'll add this as well....I can't recall I period where we missed so many clutch, game-deciding FG's as we have recently. That said, a lot of the sour taste is due to that 2-year strectch in particular, surrounded by other years that were pretty poor.

vCash
    Keep JWS away from kickoff and punt returns. "Block in the back number ?? Of the receiving team" is burnt into my memory.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    I didn't. Read again. I said I don't recall us having so many missed chip-shots and xpt's, and that I don't recall literally yelling at my TV set at a coach for attempting a short FG when I & everyone else watching KNEW we were gonna miss it.

I'll add this as well....I can't recall I period where we missed so many clutch, game-deciding FG's as we have recently. That said, a lot of the sour taste is due to that 2-year strectch in particular, surrounded by other years that were pretty poor.
    my grandpa can't recall what he ate for breakfast this morning but that doesn't mean he didn't have sausage, a fried egg & biscuits w/ peanut butter & molasses (I'd bet the farm on it)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    It's just that Mullen's ST have been bad. Mostly really bad with a few good games sprinkled in.
    You can't make a general statement like that if you're actually paying attention.

Our kicker had a hurt back all last year. The year before, when he was healthy, he was lights out.

Are we going to conveniently forget about the kicks we've blocked over the last few years? Or the rock solid punting and coverage? Or the improvement in the number of touchbacks on kickoffs?

The narrative that all Mullen's special teams are bad is just false.

vCash

So you admit in the first sentence that you don't remember any of JWS' bad years...and then simply point out further that you don't remember anything from Sherrill's tenure like Mullen's.

Perhaps that is because for a good chunk of Sherrill's tenure, we weren't good? And most of it was 20+ year ago? So we just weren't paying close attention and then forgot?

Mullen's teams are, on average, much better than Sherrill's. So it makes sense we're going to harp on special teams under Mullen more than we did under Sherrill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    JWS had some very good special teams, and some very bad special teams. He was nothing "special" when it comes to ST play. It's just that Mullen's ST have been bad. Mostly really bad with a few good games sprinkled in.
    I think also, Mullen's offenses and QB's have allowed him to score more TD's, while Sherrill probably had to rely on good D and try a bigger percentage of FG's, in lower scoring games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    So you admit in the first sentence that you don't remember any of JWS' bad years...and then simply point out further that you don't remember anything from Sherrill's tenure like Mullen's.

Perhaps that is because for a good chunk of Sherrill's tenure, we weren't good? And most of it was 20+ year ago? So we just weren't paying close attention and then forgot?

Mullen's teams are, on average, much better than Sherrill's. So it makes sense we're going to harp on special teams under Mullen more than we did under Sherrill.
    Dude...Your first sentence is complete garbage. I think it's pretty clear I'm saying I don't recall a JWS team with a FG kicker who would routinely miss chip-shot FG's, and on the ones they made, have a few barely sneak inside the upright. I say I don't recall because that is something that would seem memorable.

I don't think I'll ever forget how ridiculously bad we were a couple years under Mullen, and how it seems we haven't been even average more than 1 year.

I'm saying comparing conversion % is stupid because it does not account for the distance/difficulty of kicks. We have had kickers here under Mullen that have been more likely to miss a 20-yarder than make one. That's not the same as a kicker being just wide on 45+ yard attempts.

We have had kickers under Mullen who we DAMN WELL KNEW were going to miss the PAT. Did we really have that under JWS?

I never insinuated we were better overall under JWS. All I've commented on is how comically bad much of our kicking has been under Dan.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 04-11-2017 at 12:42 AM.