Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tebow homers 1st at bat in the minors

Banned
    vCash

Tebow homers 1st at bat in the minors

vCash
    Good for him. He still has zero chance to make the majors but he can do what he wants.

vCash
    Dan is a helluva hitting coach ****

vCash
    I personallyklike Tebow as a person but I hope we don'teget an article on every hit. He is strong but he is also hitting below the mendozza line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I personallyklike Tebow as a person but I hope we don'teget an article on every hit. He is strong but he is also hitting below the mendozza line.
    Opening day... he's .200/.200/.800. He was under .200 in ST, but had no business being there.

vCash
    I am one of the few that actually think he deserved the opportunity. The guy has some tools to work with. He is already a better product than a lot of players that get the same opportunity and he hasn't played in ten years. Does he make the show probably not, was he talented enough to get an opportunity to work and improve his game absolutely. It is a low risk/high reward situation.

vCash
    I didn't verify this, but I believe the pitcher who gave up the jack was pick 666 in the 2015 draft. I read this on the twitters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    I am one of the few that actually think he deserved the opportunity. The guy has some tools to work with. He is already a better product than a lot of players that get the same opportunity and he hasn't played in ten years. Does he make the show probably not, was he talented enough to get an opportunity to work and improve his game absolutely. It is a low risk/high reward situation.
    It is more a publicity stunt than anything but it is working. It was one of the main articles on the front page of ESPN. It is a free country, if Tebow wants to try then good for him. He is taking an opportunity away from another player but in reality if that player is getting beat out by Tebow then he doesn't have much chance of making it either.

Banned
    vCash
    Tebow haters either suck at life or place too much emphasis on sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Tebow haters either suck at life or place too much emphasis on sports.
    I think a lot of people just like to tear down good people which Tebow seems to be. I think a lot of people think if Tebow really just wanted to compete in sports then he would be a starting TE somewhere in the NFL. I guess it would be hard to be THE QB your whole life and reach your goal and be told you no longer will lead the team. Not sure if it is pure ego or his love for the game was killed dealing with it. He seems like he is happy so I am not going to put him down. Life is too short to do crap you hate.

vCash
    Here's the problem. If his name isn't Tim Tebow, he doesn't get the opportunity. The move was made to put asses in seats, period. How many minor leaguers have press conferences after games?

I respect the guy and admire his character. But we gotta be honest about why he's where he is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    Here's the problem. If his name isn't Tim Tebow, he doesn't get the opportunity. The move was made to put asses in seats, period. How many minor leaguers have press conferences after games?

I respect the guy and admire his character. But we gotta be honest about why he's where he is.
    Is that really a problem, though? If the Mets are ok doing it, then who really cares? Sports is a business, the only reason any of it exists at this level is because it makes money. Tebow is making money.

vCash
    These same folks complaining about tebow getting this opportunity...were they also whining about MJ getting the exact same opportunity for the exact same reasons?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    These same folks complaining about tebow getting this opportunity...were they also whining about MJ getting the exact same opportunity for the exact same reasons?
    I think if message boards were as prevalent, yes they would have. It doesn't matter because sports are entertainment. The whole point is to sell tickets and products so if they are selling Tebow jerseys and putting butts in the seats then they are doing their job. You think the most important thing is winning but it doesn't matter if you are losing money. Florida Marlins spent a bunch of money and won the World Series but now they are back to the bottom because it wasn't financially feasible. Winning didn't offset the cost.

vCash
    I would be willing to wager that Tebow Haters are Kapernick Lovers - and I think Kap is human waste, so there you go

vCash
    I'm pretty sure MJ did get criticized for the same reason.

It's pretty stupid though. Minor league baseball is for the most part a money losing venture. Some minor league teams make good money, but I'm not sure how many of them would if MLB didn't cover the personnel and scouting costs. They are there to be a farm league for the majors and rely on things other than people just wanting to watch minor league players play. So every time a Tebow or MJ type player brings in crowd, they are helping way more minor league players than the one marginal prospect who didn't get a roster spot, by bringing in more money for minor league teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post

You do realize people Tebow's age get the same exact opportunity just about every year it just isn't all over the TV. He didn't take some other players spot. I assure you he didn't take some future for sure big leaguer's roster spot. You can argue all you want but the guy has some tools to work with. Had he played college baseball instead of football he would have more than likely been drafted or given a FA deal. You don't find guys his size with his speed. He also has some raw power that a lot of college kids do not have. Time will tell. He has improved defensively since starting back and has shown that he can handle some velocity. Heck I played with a guy in the minors who was also a S for UW, got drafted and did both knowing good and well baseball was not in his future. He is now in the NFL. He did not have but 1 or 2 hits in rookie ball. Happens every year. At least with Tebow you know you are getting a guy that is going to bust his butt for you and be a good guy in the locker room for younger players. Former big league coaches/players kids get drafted all the time and a lot of them have no business getting an opportunity over someone else. Just part of it

vCash
    I'm sure it wasn't setup***

Banned
    vCash
    You do realize people Tebow's age get the same exact opportunity just about every year it just isn't all over the TV. He didn't take some other players spot. I assure you he didn't take some future for sure big leaguer's roster spot. You can argue all you want but the guy has some tools to work with. Had he played college baseball instead of football he would have more than likely been drafted or given a FA deal. You don't find guys his size with his speed. He also has some raw power that a lot of college kids do not have. Time will tell. He has improved defensively since starting back and has shown that he can handle some velocity. Heck I played with a guy in the minors who was also a S for UW, got drafted and did both knowing good and well baseball was not in his future. He is now in the NFL. He did not have but 1 or 2 hits in rookie ball. Happens every year. At least with Tebow you know you are getting a guy that is going to bust his butt for you and be a good guy in the locker room for younger players. Former big league coaches/players kids get drafted all the time and a lot of them have no business getting an opportunity over someone else. Just part of it
    Mike Piazza was drafted as a favor from Tommy Lasorda to Mike Piazza's dad, in the 62nd round. Piazza developed into one of the best-hitting catchers of all time.

vCash
    Yesterday, 1-5
    Season, .200/.200./.500