Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brent Rooker

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash

Brent Rooker

Is a very special hitter obviously, but since the bat changes is he the most dynamic hitter we've had? I honestly can't think of one better. We are very fortunate he is a dawg!!
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    What blew me away was his at bat in the 7th last night. He is leading the league in most offensive categories and is up to the plate with bases loaded and 1 out. Most batters, especially ones leading the league in HRs and RBI, would have been trying to go yard and probably would have swung at some garbage.

But, Rooker showed absolute plate discipline and didn't swing at a single pitch and was walked. In my Opinion, that's what separates him.

vCash
    Even on his HR in the 10th, he got a big curve ball and he didn't try to pull it. HE went the other way with it and drilled it out of the yrd. If he tries to pull it, he grounds out to the SS. That's something a our guys cant seem to understand. When you get the off speed on the outer half, sit back and go with the pitch and take it the other way. Poole struggles with alot. If he can ever learn to just sit back and relax he will be hell on wheels...

vCash
    I would say he's having one of the best offensive years in the history of the program. He looks like that big kid in little league with a fake birth certificate.

On pace for 21 HRs and 90 RBIs.*

*56 game regular season

vCash
    Man, Kruger would have been huge if he would've stayed. I can't wait to see how the offense looks when Cann has had a full season to develop guys at the plate. Rooker has been an absolute monster so far. Seems like he really got hot at the end of last year and has been going ever since.

vCash
    I was watching Thunder and Lighting the other day and Rooker and Mangum came to mind. Now all we need is Thigpen and Brantley to amerge

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I was watching Thunder and Lighting the other day and Rooker and Mangum came to mind. Now all we need is Thigpen and Brantley to amerge
    The funny thing is that nickname wasn't really accurate. It was basically Thunder and Even Bigger Thunder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I would say he's having one of the best offensive years in the history of the program. He looks like that big kid in little league with a fake birth certificate.

On pace for 21 HRs and 90 RBIs.*

*56 game regular season
    He keeps this up and it will be one of the greatest seasons in SEC history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkingpoon View Post
    Man, Kruger would have been huge if he would've stayed.
    Both Kruger and Nathaniel Lowe were surprise losses. Kruger got paid over slot by his hometown team and Lowe got drafted by the same club that picked up his younger brother. Really bad luck for us. Those 2 in our current lineup would have made a world of difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    Both Kruger and Nathaniel Lowe were surprise losses. Kruger got paid over slot by his hometown team and Lowe got drafted by the same club that picked up his younger brother. Really bad luck for us. Those 2 in our current lineup would have made a world of difference.
    Probably would be the best lineup in the SEC. Arguably the best lineup in the country

vCash
    Obviously, the most recent comparison is Hunter Renfroe. You have to respect the power that Hunter showed considering he played with a dead bat as well as a dead ball. Brent does have the benefit of a ball with the change in the seams. With that said, Brent is a much more disciplined hitter than Hunter. He's got much better bat control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Probably would be the best lineup in the SEC. Arguably the best lineup in the country
    From everything I remember I don't think there was ever any real hope that Lowe was coming back. Kruger signed at the very last moment and was expected back. Losing him hurt more because he was a guy that had earlier stated he preferred to stay in school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Obviously, the most recent comparison is Hunter Renfroe. You have to respect the power that Hunter showed considering he played with a dead bat as well as a dead ball. Brent does have the benefit of a ball with the change in the seams. With that said, Brent is a much more disciplined hitter than Hunter. He's got much better bat control.
    Rooker also just has a better stance and swing. Renfroe had to do a lot of work on his swing to get to MLB. Rooker is just more compact and has a great eye for the strike zone. Rooker will probably go through the minors pretty quick because he is very fundamentally sound.

vCash
    Has anyone seen any draft projections on Rooker?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    Has anyone seen any draft projections on Rooker?
    I tried looking, but you won't find any extremely recent updates. We'll have to wait until further into the season to let his performance settle in more. I wouldn't expect him to be a 1st round pick just because of his defensive limitations, but if he keeps hitting like this, he'll pretty much have to be taken there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I tried looking, but you won't find any extremely recent updates. We'll have to wait until further into the season to let his performance settle in more. I wouldn't expect him to be a 1st round pick just because of his defensive limitations, but if he keeps hitting like this, he'll pretty much have to be taken there.
    AJ Reed got drafted in the 2nd. That seems like a decent comparison for Rooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    AJ Reed got drafted in the 2nd. That seems like a decent comparison for Rooker.
    Not really. AJ Reed was a 1B only type of bat, and those don't have the value that a guy who can play a corner OF position has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Not really. AJ Reed was a 1B only type of bat, and those don't have the value that a guy who can play a corner OF position has.
    I can't see Rooker playing much outfield in the pros. I think he is a first baseman all the way.

vCash
    I guess I will wait to see the most current scouting reports but I assumed he would not really cut it at OF at the next level.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    I guess I will wait to see the most current scouting reports but I assumed he would not really cut it at OF at the next level.
    Kyle Schwarber and Evan Gattis transitioned from catcher to LF.