Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pay Them or Free Them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogtheMS View Post
    Well hell I thought this was gonna be TSUN's predicament...
    Someone needs to figure up the yearly cost of:
    Tuition
    Meals
    Gym membership
    Personal trainer
    Clothing
    I'm sure I'm missing some but I can guarantee the student athletes are spending much more than a lot of folks make in MS
    Books (they are high as crap, or mine were 20 YEARS AGO)
    Housing (Nearly $10,000.00 for 9 months)
    Tutors
    Free transportation to and from football games, free transportation on campus and to the apartments with the FREE city wide transit system...
    They enter other ath. games for free.... (THAT ADDS UP FOR SURE)

What more could you want?

At one time I guessed this would run well over $100,000.00 before all the increases of tuition in the last 5 years.
    Last edited by Mimi's Babies; 04-04-2017 at 05:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogtheMS View Post
    Well hell I thought this was gonna be TSUN's predicament...
    Someone needs to figure up the yearly cost of:
    Tuition
    Meals
    Gym membership
    Personal trainer
    Clothing
    I'm sure I'm missing some but I can guarantee the student athletes are spending much more than a lot of folks make in MS
    Very good tutors that monitor their academic progress
    Extremely good medical care
    Opportunities to travel
    That new new full cost of attendance money

They get better pay and certainly live better than most interns and co-ops do.

vCash
    They should get a percentage of the sales, only after they've graduated & received they're degree

vCash
    Perhaps the answer is somewhere in between. Maybe they can be paid and have heavily regulated rules on where they can recieve that payment.

Things players CAN make money off of:

TV money
    Sales from officially liscensed by the NCAA apparel
    Appearances fees officially set up by the school

Things they CAN NOT receive money from:

Unlicensed apparel
    Non- school sanctioned events
    Autograph sales
    Endorsements.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

Banned
    vCash
    Like Shotgun said, it could work, but it would have to be heavily, heavily regulated to keep a level playing field.

vCash
    1) Larger schools already get the best player. Pay attention.
    2) That's why there are scholarship limits
    3) Just because something is hard to monitor doesn't make wrong to do
    4) Capitalism says that you are worth what people are willing to pay you. If EVERY college is willing to give you a scholarship and other perks you are worth more than just as that scholarship and the perks
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    If they're good enough, they can go play internationally. It's the NBA rule that says they have to go to college (or do something else) 1 year.

Nobody is forcing anyone to sign an NLI.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    4) Capitalism says that you are worth what people are willing to pay you. If EVERY college is willing to give you a scholarship and other perks you are worth more than just as that scholarship and the perks
    Capitalism also says you aren't going to pay more than you have to. They basically have the highest paying job of anyone in college. It is almost impossible to get to the NFL without getting the "training" from a college program. Going to the big schools like the SEC is also more valuable such as an ivy league degree.

vCash
    Not only would the big schools get the big time recruits out of high school, but they would also get transfers from the smaller schools that couldn't afford to pay their best players top dollar.

I understand that's how it works in the business world, but you are basically saying that college athletics should be the NFL without a salary cap. If that were to happen then it would be the same handful of teams every year with a chance to win the championship. The mid tier (like state) and lower level schools would have no shot whatsoever.

I believe there would be a decline in viewership and attendance which is already starting to happen on a small scale, wasn't this years NC one of the lowest rated in awhile? I thought I read that somewhere.

On the surface I agree that compensating them would be great, but I just don't think there is any way to do it beyond what is already allowed.

vCash
    The NCAA is being used as a minor league for the NFL. They need to set up a true minor NFL league or let high school kids be drafted and go through a summer camp to see if they can make it to the NFL. If not then they can go a JR college and play or something.

vCash
    Benefits do not equal pay. You wouldn't work for a company without pay just b/c you get great benefits.

Many kids have their books paid for, rent paid for, tuition paid for, but they're still free to earn money. Football players are student works just like the guy in the computer labs who earn a paycheck.

Not to mention, many athletes do not have a scholarship, or not a full one. They pay their own way.

The term "amateur" is nothing more than a word or an ideal. College football is only an amateur because we say it is, but we're just calling it amateur right now because they say it is and they don't get paid. Amateur sports should have to do with how much those athletes train, how much the sport makes, and at what level they play at. Many college athlete's sport is just about their entire life while in school. Often times their putting in more work than most people at their jobs.

So yes, they get some nice benefits, but they work hard... damn hard, and often in shitty conditions, many hours a day. They perform their trade at an elite level where often times very few people in the world are better. College football is a billion dollar industry where the only true worker aren't the ones making the money. The corporate sponsors, the schools, the ADs, the coaches, the refs, etc. all get paid, and well, and the only people creating the product for them to even exist get none of it. How is this amateurism? How is a billion dollar industry amateur? Because it isn't amateur. College football is a professional sport right now. This would not be tolerated in any other industry in this country.

vCash

You think EVERYONE in this thread has it wrong and you have it all figured out?
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    The debate continues and I find myself in the precarious position of being on the side of Johnny Football. How hypocritical is it of the NCAA to sell merchandise minutes after a NC WITH THE LIKENESS OF PLAYERS ON IT but players can't make money of their own likeness themselves.

Exclude the argument of universities outright paying athletes. I get it most of you think that the players can eat their scholarship and put gas in their car with free books. Yeah, yeah. They now get a stipend. But why are they not able to sell their own image. If they commit an NCAA violation while doing so fine the university but taking away a person's ability to profit from their hard work is simply un-American.
    No one has to play college sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    Benefits do not equal pay. You wouldn't work for a company without pay just b/c you get great benefits.

Many kids have their books paid for, rent paid for, tuition paid for, but they're still free to earn money. Football players are student works just like the guy in the computer labs who earn a paycheck.

Not to mention, many athletes do not have a scholarship, or not a full one. They pay their own way.

The term "amateur" is nothing more than a word or an ideal. College football is only an amateur because we say it is, but we're just calling it amateur right now because they say it is and they don't get paid. Amateur sports should have to do with how much those athletes train, how much the sport makes, and at what level they play at. Many college athlete's sport is just about their entire life while in school. Often times their putting in more work than most people at their jobs.

So yes, they get some nice benefits, but they work hard... damn hard, and often in shitty conditions, many hours a day. They perform their trade at an elite level where often times very few people in the world are better. College football is a billion dollar industry where the only true worker aren't the ones making the money. The corporate sponsors, the schools, the ADs, the coaches, the refs, etc. all get paid, and well, and the only people creating the product for them to even exist get none of it. How is this amateurism? How is a billion dollar industry amateur? Because it isn't amateur. College football is a professional sport right now. This would not be tolerated in any other industry in this country.
    If you think these athletes work harder than Jimmy trying to get in Med School all while on his dime you are sadly mistaken.

vCash
    You wouldn't work for a company without pay just b/c you get great benefits.
    If those benefits were sufficient for me to survive and thrive and if that situation was the best path to my reaching my ultimate career goals, then, yes, I'd jump at the chance to work for benefits only.

Some of you people can't see past the end of your nose.

vCash
    Damn entitlement age.....everybody thinks they should get something. If they don't like it, don't play ball. Go be a normal student and see just how lucky you could've been had you played.

vCash

If it's that terrible, why do they do it?

vCash
    I think you are missing the fact that this is a choice they made. They chose to take a scholarship to play football in college. Therefore I don't think the University etc is responsible for "paying" them for selling a jersey with their number on it. These kids get a free ride which dependent on the school they attend is worth several several thousand dollars. Throw in what the others have posted ... tutoring, elite medical care, elite facilities, free room and board, books etc. Tuition per year alone at vandy is 44 k a year so essentially that kid is making over 60k a year for 4 years so yea hes getting paid. They get thousands of dollars in free gear and clothes as well.

They also get free meals for 4 years and now with the stipend have some spending money for outside of school. looking at NFL League Min which is 450K. College football players aren't far off. And they get way more than minor league baseball players get which can be as little as 1100$ a month.

vCash
    To be honest I'm not sure where I fall on this debate, but I'm sure about one thing: those arguing that they are being paid by getting an education don't understand how much of a farce that is. They don't have time for an actual education.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Very good tutors that monitor their academic progress
    Extremely good medical care
    Opportunities to travel
    That new new full cost of attendance money

They get better pay and certainly live better than most interns and co-ops do.
    No free time.
    "Travel" is sitting in a hotel waiting to play for 90% of the time.
    "Tutors" doing their homework so they can stay eligible (not learning shit)
    The extremely good medical care is there to treat issues that arise BECAUSE of the athletes. The care wouldn't be a benefit if they didn't need it, and they wouldn't need it if they weren't athletes.