Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay Them or Free Them

vCash

Pay Them or Free Them

The debate continues and I find myself in the precarious position of being on the side of Johnny Football. How hypocritical is it of the NCAA to sell merchandise minutes after a NC WITH THE LIKENESS OF PLAYERS ON IT but players can't make money of their own likeness themselves.

Exclude the argument of universities outright paying athletes. I get it most of you think that the players can eat their scholarship and put gas in their car with free books. Yeah, yeah. They now get a stipend. But why are they not able to sell their own image. If they commit an NCAA violation while doing so fine the university but taking away a person's ability to profit from their hard work is simply un-American.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Because players being able to benefit from their own likeness will likely drastically alter recruiting. The larger the fan base = the more you can make off your likeness. Personally, I believe this would be terrible for MSU, due to us having a smaller fan base.

The counter argument is that the schools with the largest fan bases mostly already get the best recruits, but it would be a real, formal disadvantage for them to also have the ability to offer more financial incentives as well.

Furthermore, it's a slippery slope. Does Alabama or Ole Miss begin to set-up autograph signings, shirt sales, etc in order to coordinate their players to make more money than other schools? Where does it end? If players can make money off their likeness, then how to you control players getting paid in the recruiting process?

What keeps boosters from getting together & deciding to spend $100,000 on AJ Brown t-shirts?

Point is, once you allow players to begin getting paid outside of the jurisdiction of the NCAA, you may as well just make paying recruits legal
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Because players being able to benefit from their own likeness will likely drastically alter recruiting. The larger the fan base = the more you can make off your likeness. Personally, I believe this would be terrible for MSU, due to us having a smaller fan base.

The counter argument is that the schools with the largest fan bases mostly already get the best recruits, but it would be a real, formal disadvantage for them to also have the ability to offer more financial incentives as well.

Furthermore, it's a slippery slope. Does Alabama or Ole Miss begin to set-up autograph signings, shirt sales, etc in order to coordinate their players to make more money than other schools? Where does it end? If players can make money off their likeness, then how to you control players getting paid in the recruiting process?

What keeps boosters from getting together & deciding to spend $100,000 on AJ Brown t-shirts?

Point is, once you allow players to begin getting paid outside of the jurisdiction of the NCAA, you may as well just make paying recruits legal
    Or does Big Bama Bossman show up ordering 100,000 copies of a wall poster from a player and paying $5 or $10 apiece for them (i.e., paying the player $500k or a cool million for the posters)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Or does Big Bama Bossman show up ordering 100,000 copies of a wall poster from a player and paying $5 or $10 apiece for them (i.e., paying the player $500k or a cool million for the posters)?
    This

The paying players argument sounds great on the surface, but, unless you implement a high school draft, it just doesn't work. It's an unintelligent conversation when you begin considering the unintended consequences.

NOW... If Bama, LSU, FSU, USC, Ohio State, Georgia, Texas, etc want to start a high school football draft because they feel that bad that their players aren't getting paid, then I'm all for paying players.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    The debate continues and I find myself in the precarious position of being on the side of Johnny Football. How hypocritical is it of the NCAA to sell merchandise minutes after a NC WITH THE LIKENESS OF PLAYERS ON IT but players can't make money of their own likeness themselves.

Exclude the argument of universities outright paying athletes. I get it most of you think that the players can eat their scholarship and put gas in their car with free books. Yeah, yeah. They now get a stipend. But why are they not able to sell their own image. If they commit an NCAA violation while doing so fine the university but taking away a person's ability to profit from their hard work is simply un-American.
    Who is taking that away? They have every right to go straight to work out of high school and profit off their hard work, but they chose to go to school where there are certain rules that they agreed to when they sign their scholarship. Hell, the NCAA is giving them an opportunity to train and promote themselves on another level that most will never have. Once you play a sport in college and you don't burn any bridges while you are there, you have an unlimited network of people and opportunities to take advantage of after the playing days are over. Plus, as others have said, it may sound great, but it's just not that simple. It would take millions upon millions to get staffs in place around the country for compliance, taxes, and who knows what else will be needed.

That said, there are plenty of other bs NCAA rules that should be addressed before this is even on the table.

vCash
    Every response here has been spot-on! Good job, Gun, WSOP & IDE.

Banned
    vCash
    ShotgunDawg is right. Too much of an advantage for bigger schools. The exploitation argument is legit but it's just the price they have to pay to keep some degree of fairness in crootin. The big boys already have a huge advantage, can't have that gap widened with other money sources.

vCash
    Just have a salary cap and let it be known that anyone who tries to violate it under the table will go to federal prison for tax evasion.

Boom, solved.

vCash
    And we should not discount the value of free tuition, medical, housing, meals, etc to go with the coaching and the opportunity for some to get qualified for a professional career in sports.

And they get all of this in exchange for playing a sport they love....continuing the thing they've done for years for free...without the aforementioned benefits.

Yes, the school and the NCAA benefits. That's part of the reason they are able to provide the facilities and quality of coaching, etc. Just becasue they profit, that doesn't mean the student-athlete should have profit-sharing.

Also, not all schools make money, and almost everyone loses in some of their sports. How do you pay one sport's athletes, but not pay the others? And if you start doing that...watch how many sports programs get cut out entirely.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 04-04-2017 at 03:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

They spent more than that.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Just have a salary cap and let it be known that anyone who tries to violate it under the table will go to federal prison for tax evasion.

Boom, solved.
    Do you think that the boosters at a certain college, issueed 1099-Misc. to the recruits that they gave all that money too? Did those parents pay taxes at 43.6% (fed and MS taxes)? All the money going under the table to coaches at certain universities where is there a 1099? Has anyone audited certain coaches TRAVEL LOGS at om?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    And we should not discount the value of free tuition, medical, housing, meals, etc to go with the coaching and the opportunity for some to get qualified for a professional career in sports.

And they get all of this in exchange for playing a sport they love....continuing the thing they've done for years for free...without the aforementioned benefits.

Yes, the school and the NCAA benefits. That's part of the reason they are able to provide the facilities and quality of coaching, etc. Just becasue they profit, that doesn't mean the student-athlete should have profit-sharing.

Also, not all schools make money, and almost everyone loses in some of their sports. How do you pay one sport's athletes, but not pay the others? And if you start doing that...watch how many sports programs get cut out entirely.
    They essentially are on an internship for their entire 4 years. They work their ass off but how much is it worth to get a chance at the NFL or NBA? The exposure is worth a lot and that doesn't include the free education, books, clothes, housing, food, trainer, nutritionist, tutoring, and connections they make that normal students don't make. People talk about profit sharing but how many people show up no matter who the starting QB is. Bama doesn't stop selling out when Heisman trophy winner Derrick Henry graduated.

People say it is un-American when it is actually free market. The NCAA and the Universities have the product and the student athletes are basically employees that get paid in education, living expenses, and the possibility of promotion to the professional leagues. Similar to people on Wall Street getting coffee for the traders until they are finally allowed to trade. They don't get paid shit for a while until they have "paid their dues".

vCash
    Just b/c you're scared of change and you can't figure it out, doesn't make it right. What is happening in college athletics is the exact same as the Jim Crow laws of the old South.

Schools, coaches, television networks, and corporate sponsors have made a fortune off of college athletes' hard work. It's time those players were allowed to raise cotton for whomever they please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    Just b/c you're scared of change and you can't figure it out, doesn't make it right. What is happening in college athletics is the exact same as the Jim Crow laws of the old South.

Schools, coaches, television networks, and corporate sponsors have made a fortune off of college athletes' hard work. It's time those players were allowed to raise cotton for whomever they please.
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.www.c...las-interview/

Good read I thought.

vCash
    They are amateur athletes with all the benefits that come with that status. They can get paid just like any other athlete when they change their status to professional just like any other athlete.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash

No.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash

They a already getting paid, and paid well. Ask any parent of a kid in college.

vCash
    Give me a free education and a spot on the team. They can make as much as they want off me.

vCash
    Well hell I thought this was gonna be TSUN's predicament...
    Someone needs to figure up the yearly cost of:
    Tuition
    Meals
    Gym membership
    Personal trainer
    Clothing
    I'm sure I'm missing some but I can guarantee the student athletes are spending much more than a lot of folks make in MS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogtheMS View Post
    Well hell I thought this was gonna be TSUN's predicament...
    Someone needs to figure up the yearly cost of:
    Tuition
    Meals
    Gym membership
    Personal trainer
    Clothing
    I'm sure I'm missing some but I can guarantee the student athletes are spending much more than a lot of folks make in MS
    That doesn't even take into account the advantages of having it on your resume. You think it is a leg up for anyone that wants to go into coaching that he played for a Division I school? I bet if you have Bill who played for Dan Mullen and Bob who hasn't been involved with football since he graduated high school, 1 has a huge advantage over the other guy.

It is just like any other profession. My boss has a helicopter and a private jet. I am sure if I went into his office and said I wanted part of the profits, he would just get a new Accountant. Football players are just in college for 3 to 4 years. Yes, the NCAA makes money off of them but they are replaceable. The reason I know they are replaceable is because they are replaced every 3 or 4 years.