Thread: Did a little yak mod work today

vCash

Exclamation Did a little yak mod work today

Did an install on a yak gear anchor trolley kit. They have a video online outlining the process and it's easy breezy. The pulleys are smooth as silk. Huge upgrade from the stock system on my old ascend which didn't even have pulleys

Eliminated another issue today with a little browsing at Academy. There is no flat surface area not on the floor on a KC for a ruler. I bough a stick on ruler for a rod and had just enough space inside the gear track to make it work.

Got my roto paddle holders from yak attack and they're great. Bought 2 more for my homemade stake out pole and that will be on the opposite side when they come in. Also, gear track tie down eyes next to the holders to hold the leashes and the stakeout rope. Wasn't sure if it was going to work but it's good. Will make my deck open and clean which is a big "want" for me.

Now on to the internal wiring/motor guide plug project. After taking it out once with the battery in the back, I decided that wasn't going to work. Gotta get that battery in the front to balance the weight. The tricky part was I couldn't find enough flat wall on the back for the plug to sit flush. You see the area I circled for the rear plug but that isn't going to work with my cooler so I'm sliding up a little more. Right when I go to attach the 1/8 mounting bit, I realize I don't have the right hardware for my drill. Going back to Ace tomorrow and getting this project done this week. More to come...

vCash
    That 18" extension handle is pretty handy. I have an 80 lb hand control on my Skeeter with the extension handle. I don't use any foot switches. The handle on mine pivots and makes it easy to control forward and reverse speeds. (Variable) I know you're a neat freak kind of guy, but you could just run an extension cord from the front to the back from your battery. Just clip it to the sides. And I'm not sure if I told you before, but a milk crate works great for a battery box, and you can put other stuff in it for storage. Very similar setup to how I ran my 12 ft jon boat back in the day.
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barking 13 View Post
    That 18" extension handle is pretty handy. I have an 80 lb hand control on my Skeeter with the extension handle. I don't use any foot switches. The handle on mine pivots and makes it easy to control forward and reverse speeds. (Variable) I know you're a neat freak kind of guy, but you could just run an extension cord from the front to the back from your battery. Just clip it to the sides. And I'm not sure if I told you before, but a milk crate works great for a battery box, and you can put other stuff in it for storage. Very similar setup to how I ran my 12 ft jon boat back in the day.
    I thought about running the cord up the side with clips but the inside of the boat is rigged and not flush (you can see that well in pic 2). I'm not sure why (feet rest I assume) but that's why I had to get that thin rod ruler. The wire not being flush to the side of the boat would drive me crazy. Plus if I do any redfish or bass tourney, I won't have any extra clips just waiting to catch on to something. The internal wired way I'll have plugs with caps for a cleaner look. Love the rigging discussions. So many ways to skin a cat.
    Last edited by BeastMan; 04-03-2017 at 08:21 PM.

vCash
    Multiple people have the plug in the back here but it freaks me out having it laying down like that. I'd prefer it on the side but this location is perfect for where I want to keep my cooler. Its slightly slanted and is a few inches raised from the molded part that could potentially hold water. I'm glad I was missing an arbor for my drill and have one more night to think on it. I'm going to email the KC guys and ask them for feedback.

I have a milk crate rigged with rod holders for my ascend but there isn't a place for it that I like unless I carry a stringer. I think I'm just going to keep it for the ascend (my guest yak). I have a scotty rod holder behind my seat on the right to make 3 rod holders for now and I might buy another for the other side which would give me 4 total rod capacity. I tell myself that I should never carry more than 3-4 on a kayak.

vCash
    KC guys just emailed me back (I sent them the same pic of the pro staffer plug position) and they said they'd go with side of wall on the stern tank well which was my original thought. Makes me feel better about my thinking.

vCash
    Looking good man. That sucker ought to put you on a few redfish, in comfort. We got my MIL a raymarine dragonfly for her kayak - Cuda, same as mine. After playing around with it, I am definitely getting one soon. Lots of ideas for additions to mine, but just haven't made the time.