Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSU Student Startup Feedback

vCash

Lightbulb MSU Student Startup Feedback

Hey everyone!

My name is Jonathan, I am currently a freshman at MSU. Last semester my business partner Matt and I started a company called Boston Bell Co.. A quick summary: our main product is the Statesman Bell, which is made of premium materials like food grade stainless steel and Italian leather gripped handles. It's presented in a Walnut box with Mahogany trim and comes with 4 marble coasters. The bell is special because it holds up to 8oz of liquid (patent pending), and only 200 will be created. It comes with free laser engraving customization on the inner box lid and on one face of the bell. Each set runs for $400.

Since this a new company and with graduation & football season approaching, any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again and Hail State!

vCash
    Can I get it Chrome plated?***

venit, vidimus, amisimus

vCash
    Yes

vCash
    So, am I drinking out of this thing? Out of the handle?
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    I read your about section and still don't understand what Boston has to do with cowbells. Are you trying to market this to non-MSU folks?

vCash
    I love it, but I'm like Gekko...how are you marketing this to non-MSU fans? And can I get it with MSU on it instead of the Boston Bell logo? If so, I'd buy one possibly...although $400 is lofty

vCash
    Yes, there is a cap at the top of the handle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jw3360 View Post
    Yes, there is a cap at the top of the handle.
    Gotcha. Pretty cool concept. $400 is a little steep for someone like me (student still), but you might get some to bite. I also agree that including an MSU type logo would help them sell.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    I agree a State logo would make them go pretty quick but then you get into licensing cost

vCash
    My wife does laser engraving, things like Yeti cups, bet she could engrave Msu logo's. She is doing 90 Yeti Cups for a company as I post with there logo. Btw, Wal-Mart and others have the same cup as a Yeti but much cheaper, keeps ice or hot just the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Gotcha. Pretty cool concept. $400 is a little steep for someone like me (student still), but you might get some to bite. I also agree that including an MSU type logo would help them sell.
    Thank you. Yeah, almost all of our customers are older alumni. Working with MSU's licensing partner on allowing use of their logo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    My wife does laser engraving, things like Yeti cups, bet she could engrave Msu logo's. She is doing 90 Yeti Cups for a company as I post with there logo. Btw, Wal-Mart and others have the same cup as a Yeti but much cheaper, keeps ice or hot just the same.
    Yeah! We have our own laser engraving machine, just concerned with the legality of engraving any MSU logos or verbiage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
    I read your about section and still don't understand what Boston has to do with cowbells. Are you trying to market this to non-MSU folks?
    We wanted to create a 1700's ambiance around the brand. Boston was one of the most relevant cities during this era, hence the name Boston. Will make this clearer on the website, thanks!

And if there is a premium cowbell market outside of MSU of course haha, just didn't want to use a name directly related to MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I agree a State logo would make them go pretty quick but then you get into licensing cost
    Agreed. Haven't got any solid numbers as to how much it would cost but definitely on the to-do list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jw3360 View Post
    Yeah! We have our own laser engraving machine, just concerned with the legality of engraving any MSU logos or verbiage.
    Not sure how it would work with say a Bulldawg or Miss State on it. I know she has done lots of logo's for certain companies.

She has had her laser for several years, she made a really nice cup with Msu stuff on it for a gift, LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I love it, but I'm like Gekko...how are you marketing this to non-MSU fans? And can I get it with MSU on it instead of the Boston Bell logo? If so, I'd buy one possibly...although $400 is lofty
    We are currently just targeting MSU, as far as I know there isn't much of a premium cowbell market outside of MSU. We've had some non-msu fans order for their MSU-fan friends. The only spot we'd be able to put the MSU logo on would either be on the inner box lid or one face of the bell.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    holds liquid huh? You stole my 17'n idea!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    holds liquid huh? You stole my 17'n idea!!!!
    "One Call That's All"

vCash
    So I assume with the coasters this is being sold as more of a decanter than a flask, correct? Although the 8 ounces would more closely resemble a flask, so correct me if I'm wrong. I love the idea of having this in my office as a decanter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    So I assume with the coasters this is being sold as more of a decanter than a flask, correct? Although the 8 ounces would more closely resemble a flask, so correct me if I'm wrong. I love the idea of having this in my office as a decanter.
    Yes, more of a decanter than a flask.