Thread: D1Baseball: Mississippi State Earning Scrappy Label

vCash

D1Baseball: Mississippi State Earning Scrappy Label

Good article from Kendall Rogers (unfortunately behind the paywall) about the Diamond Dawgs. Not much actual news here, but a good feature - he describes the impact of injuries to the pitching staff and how Gridley is the most improved player.

In reference to Mangum's pitching: "The biggest thing about Jake is that I like putting him on the mound, because he's not scared. He's the best athlete on the field each weekend and I love being able to put the ball in his hands," Cannizaro said. "He's going to throw it north of 90 each time out and his breaking ball continues to get better."

Regarding relief pitching: "I feel like Barlow and McQuary have really taken a nice step forward for us," [Cannizaro] said. "Barlow is a really good matchup for us on the left side and continues to gain confidence, while McQuary has a fast arm and isn't scared of anything. He wants the baseball no matter what the situation is and he's the kind of guy I want on the mound."

IMHO, I'm not sure how there can be an article with the word "scrappy" in the title that doesn't mention Cody Brown*
    Last edited by AusTexDawg; 03-30-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    If nothing else, this year will force some pitchers to grow up quick. This year will hopefully pay off next year when we get a lot of pitchers back.

vCash
    I agree with Tbone. A lot of young pitchers getting valuable innings they wouldn't have been getting. We get those injured back and with the experience these kids are getting could have a great staff the next few years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    If nothing else, this year will force some pitchers to grow up quick. This year will hopefully pay off next year when we get a lot of pitchers back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I agree with Tbone. A lot of young pitchers getting valuable innings they wouldn't have been getting. We get those injured back and with the experience these kids are getting could have a great staff the next few years.
    Necessity is the mother of invention. I will bet a paycheck that a result of this year's pitching setbacks will deliver a dynamite pitching staff and an ungodly deep bullpen next season.

vCash
    Are we going to have baseball tonight based on weather?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Are we going to have baseball tonight based on weather?
    Weather guys on the board say yes. Play ball.

vCash
    Some of these boys will be functionally Sophmores by end of April. On the other hand, Mitchell Miller is just an ornament in Clemson. He has to wear the hideous uniform and basically sit in the dugout. Self, McQuary, and Ashcraft will be as experienced as most juniors next year.