Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starkville Mayoral Election

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash

Starkville Mayoral Election

Stolen from the other board that shall not be named:

1) Damian Poe: 26 year old that wants to focus on tourism & a fair tax for MSU students to support Starkville infrastructure

2) Johnny Moore: 56 year old lawyer in town.

3) Lynn Spurill: 64 year old former mayor of Addison, Texas. Worked under Weisman.

What is the board's opinion on who would be best for moving Starkville forward and helping out MSU?

***If this needs to be moved to the political board then someone can move it, but since it is heavily tied to the success of MSU I thought I would start it out here*****

vCash
    I don't know any of them but I really hope Starkville continues to treat MSU with the idea that MSU drives Starkville's economy. That relationship has steadily improved over the last 10 or so years and it needs to keep improving.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Stolen from the other board that shall not be named:

1) Damian Poe: 26 year old that wants to focus on tourism & a fair tax for MSU students to support Starkville infrastructure

3) Lynn Spurill: 64 year old former mayor of Addison, Texas. Worked under Weisman.

What is the board's opinion on who would be best for moving Starkville forward and helping out MSU?

***If this needs to be moved to the political board then someone can move it, but since it is heavily tied to the success of MSU I thought I would start it out here*****
    Tax the students, what dumb idea, the students already pay more sales tax than the civil population.

vCash
    With the small amount of research I've done, I would vote in this order:

1. Poe - Young. Born and raised in Oktibbeha. Seems passionate about the community and moving it forward.
    http://damionpoe.org/

2. Spurill - Old. From Starkville. Very much a business person. Wants to maintain the high taxes. Although I believe she cares about the community, I would be concerned if she will take the necessary risks to move the city forward the way we want it to.
    https://www.lynnspruill.com/

3. Moore - I would not vote for Moore. Lawyer. Went to MSU and OM. Owns lawfirm in Starkville. Says all the things a typical politician says.
    http://mooreforstarkville.com/

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I just read Poe's vision, and he mentions multiple times wanting to improve entertainment options in the city. He also mentioned that raising taxes would be a last resort type of solution to any problem (and giving businesses tax breaks). He wants to improve roads and sidewalks and has some sort of rewards program for recycling.
    Last edited by Jarius; 03-30-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Spurill seemed to have a much more detailed plan on her site and seems to be all in on the fact that MSU is a huge reason that Starkville is what it is. She wants to expand the business district.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Moore has basically nothing on his web page about policies.

vCash
    I just read Poe's vision, and he mentions multiple times wanting to improve entertainment options in the city. He also mentioned that raising taxes would be a last resort type of solution to any problem (and giving businesses tax breaks). He wants to improve roads and sidewalks and has some sort of rewards program for recycling.
    How do you pay for the roads, etc. Monopoly money?
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    This is a great question that I have also although for county roads. You need a mouthpiece and a helmet to drive down the county road I live on yet, in my home county of Covington which has a significantly less population and therefore significantly less tax base than Oktibbeha, there hasn't been a gravel road in the county for for about 20+ years and all the roads are maintained better than those in Oktibbeha. With the money Oktibbeha County has spent on cold-patching, they probably could have 4-lane concrete county roads by now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    With the money Oktibbeha County has spent on cold-patching, they probably could have 4-lane concrete county roads by now.
    That's the stupid thing about government. You get what you pay for and they always pay for the lowest bidder. A well done road although more expensive is a better investment than the cheap one made on the fly. However county roads have nothging to do with the mayor of Starkville as he will only have say with the roads in the city limits.

Also as far as paying for it you cut expenses elsewhere and make room for infrastructer improvements within the current budget. I don't know Starkville's budget but since it's a goverment I'm assuming there's some overspending somewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonDawg25 View Post
    That's the stupid thing about government. You get what you pay for and they always pay for the lowest bidder. A well done road although more expensive is a better investment than the cheap one made on the fly. However county roads have nothging to do with the mayor of Starkville as he will only have say with the roads in the city limits.

Also as far as paying for it you cut expenses elsewhere and make room for infrastructer improvements within the current budget. I don't know Starkville's budget but since it's a goverment I'm assuming there's some overspending EVERYWHERE.
    fixed it for you.

vCash
    Im a little disappointed that this thread has been here for 6 hours and not one of these people have come on here to pitch themselves... Not one of them checks ED during the day? Sad!

vCash
    Spruill is the best choice by a mile here. She was practically asst mayor serving under Camp & Wiseman. And I'm sorry, 64 is not old.

vCash

Cool

Spurill seemed to have a much more detailed plan on her site and seems to be all in on the fact that MSU is a huge reason that Starkville is what it is. She wants to expand the business district.
    1. Ms. Lynn Spruill is not only the OLDEST but one who actually owns much property in the city proper of Starkville. Ms. Lynn graduated from Starkville High School, left made a life for herself and came back to Starkville, many years ago. She has MUCH commercial property and knows what needs to be done to MOVE FORWARD for Starkville. She also knows what MUST be done in reference to MSU and holding ground in negotiations of any type.
    For the last 8 years we have built sidewalks to NO WHERE.... and that is simply a waste of MONEY. Starkville MUST be cleaned up along with this county. The 1st issue is to clean out Starkville High School Ath. Program -- is Ms. Spruill willing to do that.... I don't know BUT I sure PLAN on asking her.

2. Mr. Moore, I have known all my life... He a local attorney, also owns property in the city and county and PAY TAXES....

3. Mr. Poe, I do NOT know him.... But I now have questions for him...... WHAT THE HELL is a tourism & a fair tax for MSU students to support Starkville infrastructure. The ONLY tax MSU students pay is for groceries (if they receive food stamps they don't pay that) and food tax to eat at a restaurant..... Why don't all the local property owners go up on their RENT to cover the 30% tax increase in the city and county..... we just encountered....
    With his age...... ?????? Has he ever PAID any TAXES in OKTIBBEHA COUNTY and Starkville, MS????? Is he paying the 30% tax hike that we just encountered in the county alone..... I doubt it....

So you decide..... I cannot vote... I live in the county....
    Last edited by Mimi's Babies; 03-30-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Hotel tax, isn't that the argument every NFL owner makes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Outside Dawg View Post
    Im a little disappointed that this thread has been here for 6 hours and not one of these people have come on here to pitch themselves... Not one of them checks ED during the day? Sad!
    OUTSIDE DAWG: UPDATE: Ms. Lynn Spruill is traveling to the Final Four to support our champion Lady Dawgs. #HAILSTATE....

vCash
    Johnny is by far the best of these candidates. He wants to see Starkville expand and is VERY pro business!! He is physically conservative and would love a better partnership between Starkville and MSU!!!

Lynn is left of Bernie Sanders and your children will be using the bathroom with god knows who if she is elected.

Damian is a good guy but he doesn't have enough experience to lead a city that needs to grow and advance like Starkville does. Starkville is at a crucial time in its history, the voters better not screw this up.

QUOTE=Jarius;726019]Stolen from the other board that shall not be named:

***If this needs to be moved to the political board then someone can move it, but since it is heavily tied to the success of MSU I thought I would start it out here*****[/QUOTE]
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsofAnarchy View Post
    Johnny is by far the best of these candidates. He wants to see Starkville expand and is VERY pro business!! He is physically conservative and would love a better partnership between Starkville and MSU!!!

Lynn is left of Bernie Sanders and your children will be using the bathroom with god knows who if she is elected.

Damian is a good guy but he doesn't have enough experience to lead a city that needs to grow and advance like Starkville does. Starkville is at a crucial time in its history, the voters better not screw this up.

At least she's smart enough to properly use a message board "quote" function.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrill1 View Post
    Spruill is the best choice by a mile here. She was practically asst mayor serving under Camp & Wiseman. And I'm sorry, 64 is not old.
    This.

vCash
    Hey I wasn't being personal. If you like Lynn its fine with me. Elect her, its fine with me. Just know that she is ANTI business and she is for Lynn. A true established democrat who leans to the far left, Starkville can go back to having a little dictator. It's fine with me. She already owns more apartments than everyone else put together in Starkville, so I'm sure the rent costs in Starkville will go down because she will let other companies come in an build. I'm sure she is for healthy competition in business. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    At least she's smart enough to properly use a message board "quote" function.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!