Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Self imposing a second bowl ban?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    UNM out of the SEC would be hot garbage. You think there is any way they would get the recruits they get as an SEC member if they were in the B12...especially if they aren't allowed to blatantly cheat?

This is not like TAMU and Mizzou coming to the SEC. Playing in the SEC is the pinnacle. No way kids in and around UNM would choose to play in the B12 over an SEC school.

And keep in mind, they haven't been much in any sport for a long time. They've had a little bit of recent baseball success due to our collapse under Polk 2, but now that we're moving back into a rightful place, they won't be a huge factor there.

They've never been particularly good at basketball, and their football success since segregation has been built on a foundation of cheating. Once busted, they are going to suck even worse.
    I agree but you are comparing them to us. I'm comparing them to Memphis and the other teams that were jockeying for a spot in the Big 12. And I'm not saying they are going to continue to be relevant in football but at least they would "win the party" in the Big 12.***
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I agree but you are comparing them to us. I'm comparing them to Memphis and the other teams that were jockeying for a spot in the Big 12. And I'm not saying they are going to continue to be relevant in football but at least they would "win the party" in the Big 12.***
    Conference expansion is all about TV markets......why would the Big 12 be interested in adding MS to their market? My guess is that they wouldn't be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    Conference expansion is all about TV markets......why would the Big 12 be interested in adding MS to their market? My guess is that they wouldn't be.
    Right. Memphis would capture the Memphis market better than an out of the SEC UNM would. They would also bleed into Nashville, St Louis and Little Rock a little bit if they were in the Big 12. UNM would have Memphis and bleed into Jackson. Don't over rate UNM's cache if they are out of the SEC, particularly with the ongoing NCAA probation hanging over their heads. Think about it like this; SMU once dominated the Dallas media market and won a post desegregation national championship but the SEC has not even thought about including them.

Now, none of this is more than conjecture based on 1) the death penalty and 2) getting kicked out which is unlikely.

vCash
    They won't give them a TV ban, the NCAA and the SEC make too much money off of TV. TV bans are gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    They won't give them a TV ban, the NCAA and the SEC make too much money off of TV. TV bans are gone.
    I agree. They won't do a tv ban because of tv contracts. That does not rule out the death penalty.

vCash

TV Ban..... Let's hope NOT...

Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    They'll just make all of their games the 11:00am SECN game.
    If I remember correctly... We play om on Thanksgiving night this year on ESPN.... We do not want them to get a TV ban
    just NO MONEY from tv time.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    40M loss to a 90M athletic budget is about a 45% hit. I don't know about Dickie's loyalty, but an additional 40M contribution to what he's already contributing is a big jump. I don't know, but that probably is chicken feed to him. Then again maybe the NCAA has their eyes on him?
    HUM....... HUM....... HUM.......