Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thursday Sever Weather

vCash

Thursday Sever Weather

To sum it up in two words...buckle up.

Tomorrow has the potential to be a big time day weather wise. The one limiting factor they thought might dampen it down - coastal storm development - is not looking to not happen at all or not happen in any meaningful manner. Therefore, severe storms are expected to develop tomorrow afternoon over the upper delta region and then move east and south. The SPC has already included much of north MS in a moderate risk for tomorrow. Here is their exact wording and graphic:

A strong mid-level speed max (50+ knots at 700mb) will rotate across the cold front during the afternoon, promoting strong low-level and deep layer vertical shear profiles. Forecast soundings show 0-3km SRH values of 200-300 m2/s2 and MLCAPE of 1500 J/kg. Several 00z cam solutions that extend into the Day2 period indicate discrete supercell mode will be preferred with the activity, suggesting a favorable environment for tornadoes, large hail, and damaging winds. Strong tornadoes and very large hail will be possible in the MDT risk area.

Depending on the model, storms are expected to develop anytime from 2:00-7:00. These will quickly go severe and some will go tornadic. There is a chance those of you in western MS may see some severe weather around daybreak tomorrow but those storms will quickly weaken before these new ones redevelop.

I'll be posting here today on this as new information comes in and will try to answer any questions. Hopefully, Ref and others more knowledgeable will also chime in as well. Tomorrow, I will be out trying to see how close I can get to these storms and probably won't be able to post much. For those interested, I may be able to get a live stream up and going if I can get my camera stabilized enough and remain in an area of strong enough signal. If I am able to stream, it will appear on the facebook sight for North MS Storm Chasers and Spotters. You can like the page and that should send you an update if I go live. I have a secondary option of streaming over my personal twitter account if all else fails. Just see what tomorrow brings.

Banned
    vCash
    We got hammered last night in ft worth. Swing set demolished, neighbors fence down, lots of damage all over n. TX. Sirens blasting.

vCash
    What can you forecast for the Central MS area (Hinds, Madison, Rankin)? Local news weather guys say it's a slow moving front and some places could get popped 2-3 times.

And did you mean 2 am to 7 am or 2 pm to 7 pm?
    Last edited by SaintDawg; 03-29-2017 at 08:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    What can you forecast for the Central MS area (Hinds, Madison, Rankin)? Local news weather guys say it's a slow moving front and some places could get popped 2-3 times.

And did you mean 2 am to 7 am or 2 pm to 7 pm?
    Right now....I stress right now...it looks like the further north you are the worse it could be. The Jackson area could certainly see some severe weather, though, including tornadoes and large hail. My thinking the timing is 2:00pm to 7:00pm. There will be a morning round of storms but as they cross the river they should weaken, but if you are in AR or LA and perhaps the western MS delta then you need to have a way to get warnings overnight as these could pose a significant severe threat, too, for those areas. If nothing changes from the way things look currently, I am considering staging around the Grenada area tomorrow and see when and where things develop, unless I decide to leave earlier and try to catch the tail end of the morning round over near the river.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    Right now....I stress right now...it looks like the further north you are the worse it could be. The Jackson area could certainly see some severe weather, though, including tornadoes and large hail. My thinking the timing is 2:00pm to 7:00pm. There will be a morning round of storms but as they cross the river they should weaken, but if you are in AR or LA and perhaps the western MS delta then you need to have a way to get warnings overnight as these could pose a significant severe threat, too, for those areas. If nothing changes from the way things look currently, I am considering staging around the Grenada area tomorrow and see when and where things develop, unless I decide to leave earlier and try to catch the tail end of the morning round over near the river.
    So stay vigilant statewide. The whole of MS is in the crosshairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    So stay vigilant statewide. The whole of MS is in the crosshairs.
    To play it safe, yes. But off the record if I was south of I-20 I might could relax a little bit.

vCash
    For the middle TN/Nashville dawgs, stay vigilant. We are expected to get two waves of storms, the first in the AM and the second wave coming at evening rush hour and bringing some nasty stuff with it.
    Stay safe, ya'll.

https://nashvillesevereweather.com/2...ible-thursday/

vCash
    I have to say after the latest model information I'm not nearly as impressed for MS. Not saying nothing will happen, but it looks like it may be confined more to east MS. Tornado threat also not looking as pronounced. It appears coastal convection may kill a lot of potential.

vCash
    What about Desoto-Memphis area? Thanks for the updates!
    Wrap it in Maroon and White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit View Post
    What about Desoto-Memphis area? Thanks for the updates!
    May see some storms tonight, but tomorrow may not be that bad if current thinking holds.

vCash
    Corinth?

vCash
    There's a tornado watch for much of western Mississippi, basically south of Greenville and west of I-55. Goes until 3 a.m.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CrosscityDawg View Post
    Corinth?
    If there's a best area for severe storms in MS I'd say Corinth would be in that area. But as stated earlier, coastal convection may kill everything. The next round of model updates should start coming in the next hour or so. I'll give my thoughts after I look at those.

vCash
    Thanks for the info! Gotta love this time of year. Watched a tornado Monday come within a mile of my house.

vCash
    Madison?

vCash
    I hear major thunder and lightening is about to rain down on Oxford.

vCash
    I'm very close to calling tomorrow a bust. We may still see some severe weather, but I don't think it's going to be near what was expected just this morning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    I hear major thunder and lightening is about to rain down on Oxford.
    What about brimstone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    What about brimstone?
    Not to hijack this thread, but ohhhhh, that's goooooo-o-o-o-o-d Rabbit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    I'm very close to calling tomorrow a bust. We may still see some severe weather, but I don't think it's going to be near what was expected just this morning.
    Careful with the bust word...

James SpannVerified account @spann 7m7 minutes agoMore

Still uncertainty concerning tomorrow evening’s severe weather threat. Watching new data arriving now.