Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy or Sell: 2017 Rooker > 2013 Renfroe

vCash
    We'll see

Renfroe had 8 assists and 5 errors- Rooker already has 5 assists and only 1 error to this point

Rooker is going to steal twice as many bases as Renfroe
    Renfroe had Big Boy hitting behind him- Rooker has had Cody Brown until his recent move
    Slugging? Right now Rook is at .885- Renfroe finished at .620
    OBP? Rooker is at .521- Renfroe finished at .431

We can go on- but right now it's clearly Rooker playing on a lesser team. Lots more ball to be played though this year. Will be fun to watch it play out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    We'll see

Renfroe had 8 assists and 5 errors- Rooker already has 5 assists and only 1 error to this point

Rooker is going to steal twice as many bases as Renfroe
    Renfroe had Big Boy hitting behind him- Rooker has had Cody Brown until his recent move
    Slugging? Right now Rook is at .885- Renfroe finished at .620
    OBP? Rooker is at .521- Renfroe finished at .431

We can go on- but right now it's clearly Rooker playing on a lesser team. Lots more ball to be played though this year. Will be fun to watch it play out
    Renfroe was playing RF not 1B. He automatically should have more errors, but also more assists.

I'll give you stolen bases ... he was 2 of 3 last year. Didn't realize he had improved that so much. Seems he's worked on his base running some.
    I'll also give you he's playing on a lesser team.

I didn't give you OB% or Slg% for season so far with Renfroe, but Renfroe leads Rooker thru 6 SEC games, 3 or which were against LSU.

If you wanted to be a good guy, you might consider giving me the ball/bat combo argument *****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Buy all day... for 1 big reason... Renfroe k'd a ton. Rooked is not K'ing as much.
    Renfroe K'd 43 times in 304 PAs - 14%

Rooker has K'd 20 times in 114 PAs - 17.5%

vCash
    Rooker has played at least half this season's games in RF

vCash
    Rooker has played at least half this season's games in RF
    Ok. From reading the board I was under impression he was permanent 1B. I haven't watched any games this year. That would explain why his assists are as high as they are then. I thought those seemed high to me.

I am somewhat going on what I saw last year relative to his base running (not just base stealing either) and D. He may have improved both dramatically maybe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Ok. From reading the board I was under impression he was permanent 1B. I haven't watched any games this year. That would explain why his assists are as high as they are then. I thought those seemed high to me.

I am somewhat going on what I saw last year relative to his base running (not just base stealing either) and D. He may have improved both dramatically maybe.
    You rack up far more assists at 1B than you do in the OF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Well ... I couldn't remember is an assist was recorded for every out at first. I was thinking not and am wrong I'm guessing. In that case I would think Rooker's assists would be much higher. Or my perception of number of assists for a 1B is off. I almost have never paid attention to 1Bs defensive stats.

vCash
    From a single season hitting standpoint it has to be Rooker at least to this point of the season. If the season ended today I believe he would win the SEC triple crown. Don't believe that has been done since Raffy did it in '84. And with the triple crown that has everyone pitching and hitting the same baseballs with similar bats. Now if you take into account who is the best overall player from a complete package standpoint well then Renfroe is definitely the better defender and baserunner. However looking at it that way its really not a single season thing because Renfroe was and is a great defender and a plus baserunner every season.

vCash
    You also rack up more chances to make errors

vCash
    You also rack up more chances to make errors
    Did I say you don't?

I'm not that interested in error numbers, though.

vCash
    Well ... I couldn't remember is an assist was recorded for every out at first. I was thinking not and am wrong I'm guessing. In that case I would think Rooker's assists would be much higher. Or my perception of number of assists for a 1B is off. I almost have never paid attention to 1Bs defensive stats.
    An assist is not recorded for a 1B for every out at first. But it is recorded for every time a 1B field a ball and then tosses to 1B with a pitcher covering or any other base to make an out. OF assist numbers will always be low, in the single or low double digits generally (for MLB). A 1B will rack up more than 100 assists routinely.

vCash
    An assist is not recorded for a 1B for every out at first. But it is recorded for every time a 1B field a ball and then tosses to 1B with a pitcher covering or any other base to make an out. OF assist numbers will always be low, in the single or low double digits generally (for MLB). A 1B will rack up more than 100 assists routinely.
    Trying to work while I respond and didn't think this one through enough. I don't generally pay that much attention to defensive stats except fielding percentage and outfielder assists maybe, but even those not so much. I generally go by the eyeball test.

Going by eyeball test (based on my memory of Renfroe and Rooker last year), Renfroe seemed like the much more complete defensive player to me. Rooker also played OF last year so that was my comparison.

My response relative to stats was sure off base tho.

vCash
    Trying to work while I respond and didn't think this one through enough. I don't generally pay that much attention to defensive stats except fielding percentage and outfielder assists maybe, but even those not so much. I generally go by the eyeball test.

Going by eyeball test (based on my memory of Renfroe and Rooker last year), Renfroe seemed like the much more complete defensive player to me. Rooker also played OF last year so that was my comparison.

My response relative to stats was sure off base tho.
    Fully agree on that. I think Renfroe was clearly more valuable defensively, and I'm not sure how anyone could genuinely argue that.

As for who had the better year, we'll just have to see how things shake out. Long way to go. If Rooker stays where he is offensively, it's him. If he slips enough that their offensive numbers aren't too far apart, I think you have to give it to Renfroe based on where offense was then.

But I certainly hope it ends up being Rooker. That would be fantastic for us.

vCash
    It will be interesting to see how it plays out but using Renfroe's season statistics is extremely misleading. Not only did Hunter have to play in the dead ball error where Ross Mitchell had one of the best pitching seasons in MSU history, he also went all the way to the National Championship game. That might slightly inflate his HRs and RBIs but would decrease his batting avg since he faced multiple pitchers that are better than most of the pitchers Rooker will see this year.

Banned
    vCash
    Renfroe K'd 43 times in 304 PAs - 14%

Rooker has K'd 20 times in 114 PAs - 17.5%
    Wow! I stand corrected. It seemed like Renfoe struck out all the time.

vCash
    Slightly off topic but I just got MLB The Show 17 and its pretty cool seeing Renfroe on a video game. We graduated from the same high school a year apart.