Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy or Sell: 2017 Rooker > 2013 Renfroe

vCash

Buy or Sell: 2017 Rooker > 2013 Renfroe

I'm buying.

vCash
    Buying at the moment, but renfroe was pretty damn dominant at this point in that season.

vCash
    Sell for now

vCash
    Soft sell.

Renfroe had to use an adidas bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    Soft sell.

Renfroe had to use an adidas bat.
    And more importantly a pitcher's ball

Senior Member Perpetual Underachiever's Avatar
    vCash
    Buy. YTD this is arguably the best offensive performance ever by a Dawg.

Banned
    vCash
    Big sell.

1) Different ball in 2013 that was much more friendly to pitchers
    2) Renfroe was / is a MUCH better defender.

vCash
    Depends on how much difference you think the ball makes:
    Rooker 14 doubles 3 triples 8 homers and a 432 average in 26 games
    Renfroe 16 doubles 3 triples 16 homers and a 345 average in 66 games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual Underachiever View Post
    Buy. YTD this is arguably the best offensive performance ever by a Dawg.

Actually, Renfroes and Rookers numbers were practically identical through the same number of games in their big seasons, at this point. Renfroe had 1 more homer. Rooker had an RBI or two more. Rooker had more SBs.

vCash
    Sell. Renfroe is a 5 tool player. As they mentioned over and over again in the CWS.

vCash
    Didn't we move the fences in recently also? I could be off

Banned
    vCash
    Buy all day... for 1 big reason... Renfroe k'd a ton. Rooked is not K'ing as much.

vCash
    If you are talking about from a MLB draft standpoint I think you take Renfroe. From a college player standpoint I think you maybe take Rooker depending on how he finishes. It's kind of apples and oranges comparing a right fielder to a first baseman especially from a defensive standpoint. I'm not quite sure that Rooker is a first round pick yet but he could certainly get there if he continues to play well in SEC play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    Sell. Renfroe is a 5 tool player. As they mentioned over and over again in the CWS.
    Did you know Wes Rae was recruited to play OL in football?!?!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Big sell.

1) Different ball in 2013 that was much more friendly to pitchers
    2) Renfroe was / is a MUCH better defender.
    This right here. Renfroe was 5 tool player as posted above.

A RF that has power, can hit for average, can steal and run the bases, with a rocket arm is much more valuable (all day every day and twice on Sunday) than a 1B that has similar or slightly superior hitting stats. Renfroe saved runs on D. Added runs with his base running. His entire play on both O & D put pressure on the other team.

Lots of folks can play 1B. If someone is a helluva a hitter but average on D they get drafted and play 1B usually (which is probably why Rooker is playing 1B). However, there's a very limited number of upper echelon RFs that can track down balls in the RF corner then gun down runners from the RF corner warning track. And when a RF does something like that, it usually pumps the whole team up too.

Rooker is a good hitter and thought so last year. But his D and base running isn't anywhere close to Renfroe. Excellent base running gets you extra runs frequently too. Rooker last year was a little bit of a liability on the base paths. Renfroe doesn't get pulled in the 8th or 9th for a pinch runner.

Rooker hitting better as of now than Renfroe's entire year. Rooker hasn't gone through the entire year yet. He'd have to really put up some very large numbers tho for me to consider him a better take than Renfroe. Rooker is also K'ing at a higher percentage than Renfroe (21.8% vs 16.8%).

Then there is the hitter friendlier ball/bat advantage Rooker has too.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 03-29-2017 at 05:51 AM.

vCash
    The question is 2017 Rooker > 2013 Renfroe- its not who has the highest draft position.

Right now there is no doubt that it is Rooker. Rooker is putting together one of the best seasons in State history right now. Can he keep it up? We'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    The question is 2017 Rooker > 2013 Renfroe- its not who has the highest draft position.

Right now there is no doubt that it is Rooker. Rooker is putting together one of the best seasons in State history right now. Can he keep it up? We'll see.
    Don't agree there is "no doubt" if you look at the complete package. While I didn't calculate OB%, Slg%, or OPS ... at same point in 2013 season Renfroe was batting .436 with 9 homers in 82 ABs if I counted correctly. Renfroe had a higher batting avg and more homers in 14 less ABs. Didn't see a K (or SO) category per game, but for season Renfroe K'd at lower rate than Rooker currently is. And all this when the bat/ball combo was pitcher friendly too.

And then you have defense and base running.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 03-29-2017 at 07:03 AM.

vCash
    Sec games only stats so far...
    HR: .333/.457/.613
    BR: .455/.519/1.045

Obviously hunter's stats are for a complete schedule and rooker is just getting started, so I wouldn't take much from this just yet. If we wanna continue this discussion thru the year though, these are the stats I'd look at. If the stats are pretty close at the end, hunter had a better year considering the difference in ball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Don't agree there is "no doubt" if you look at the complete package. While I didn't calculate OB%, Slg%, or OPS ... at same point in 2013 season Renfroe was batting .436 with 9 homers in 82 ABs if I counted correctly. Renfroe had a higher batting avg and more homers in 14 less ABs. Didn't see a K (or SO) category per game, but for season Renfroe K'd at lower rate than Rooker currently is. And all this when the bat/ball combo was pitcher friendly too.

And then you have defense and base running.
    No one does WAR stat for college, but I'd suspect hunter would be higher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Sec games only stats so far...
    HR: .333/.457/.613
    BR: .455/.519/1.045

Obviously hunter's stats are for a complete schedule and rooker is just getting started, so I wouldn't take much from this just yet. If we wanna continue this discussion thru the year though, these are the stats I'd look at. If the stats are pretty close at the end, hunter had a better year considering the difference in ball
    Renfroe thru 6 SEC games (LSU & KY): .428/.552/1.048

I like both of these guys. But IMO the edge either way is slight and I lean toward Renfroe ... especially when taking into account the ball/bat combo.

ETA: So I will go ahead and say it ... RP was wrong LOL. I'll now sit back and wait for the forthcoming stern rebuttal *****
    Last edited by dawgday166; 03-29-2017 at 07:45 AM.