Thread: Weathermen talk to me....

vCash

Weathermen talk to me....

Give me y'all's best forecast for Thursday night in Oxford. Thinking about driving over from Birmingham for the game. What's the chance we play that night? What does the forecast look like for Friday's game?

vCash
    Our local storm chasers:
    Today:" You better look out, Thursday could be pretty rough."
    Tomorrow: "Huge potential for tornadoes tomorrow. NAM shows multiple super cells tearing right through the heart of MS all day. Going to be really dangerous. CAPE values off the charts. Stay alert. Going to start off in the delta somewhere and work my way east as the storms progress."
    Thursday: "Not really much going on right now. Looks like it's transitioning to more of straight line wind threat. Might be better if we can get some pre-frontal cells to pop up."
    Friday: "Why the 17 did I take yesterday off to chase. It was obvious that the limited shear would kill the tornado threat."
    Last edited by EngDawg; 03-28-2017 at 07:29 PM.

venit, vidimus, amisimus

vCash
    Thursday all hinges on the coast. There's a chance storms develop along the coast. If they do and hang around Thursday will be a bust severe wise. If they don't form or move out then parts of north ms could see some bad storms. All I'm pretty sure of now is the delta will see some severe storms after midnight tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EngDawg View Post
    Our local storm chasers:
    Today:" You better look out, Thursday could be pretty rough."
    Tomorrow: "Huge potential for tornadoes tomorrow. NAM shows multiple super cells tearing right through the heart of MS all day. Going to be really dangerous. CAPE values off the charts. Stay alert. Going to start off in the delta somewhere and work my way east as the storms progress."
    Thursday: "Not really much going on right now. Looks like it's transitioning to more of straight line wind threat. Might be better if we can get some pre-frontal cells to pop up."
    Friday: "Why the 17 did I take yesterday off to chase. It was obvious that the limited shear would kill the tornado threat."
    If I had a nickel for every time that's been me...

vCash
    Vegas ... just saw on TWC where Kelly Williamson and his chasing partner Randy were killed in a vehicle accident while covering the storms this afternoon in Texas. I was watching earlier this afternoon, maybe around 3 or 4, and they had his location spotted on a map and I think he even gave a report and I wondered why they never went back to him. I guess I know now.

vCash
    Yeah. Looks like somebody ran a stop sign chasing a storm.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Concerning Kelley Williamson, I'm going to keep my personal feelings about him to myself. It's a tragedy that we have lost people this early in the chase season when there wasn't even a storm nearby. Personally, I believe this should serve as a wake-up call for not only professional storm chasers, but storm chasing enthusiasts.

Regarding Thursday's threat to North Mississippi and the surrounding areas. Right now it's going to depend on the moisture flow from the gulf and the 500 mb to 850 mb bulk shear available for the storm to tilt and gain the strength it needs. Tornado threat is still low enough that I wouldn't call it a huge chase day, but there's enough of a threat that I would remain concerned and maybe take a venture out if I were a chaser needing a fix. Your biggest threats are going to be large hail and damaging straight line winds. This system will be moving along a boundary front, which will determine the speed of this system. If the speed of this front through Texas is any indication, it's going to be a very slow moving front with a vertical profile to sustain long-range storms (but not necessarily long-track tornadoes). We will find out a lot more within the next 18-24 hours.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    U don't have to be storm chasing to encounter idiot drivers. I see them daily

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boodawg View Post
    U don't have to be storm chasing to encounter idiot drivers. I see them daily
    The idiot driver in this case is the storm chaser. I'll leave it at that.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    According to an article on Channel 48's website this morning, both vehicles involved were storm chasers. Two vehicles were involved: a Jeep and a Suburban. The person in the Jeep was 25 years old. Williamson was driving a black Suburban and was the one who ran the stop sign. Also, he was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Unfortunately, with the number of chasers there are now, the higher the SPC risk for tornadoes, the higher the risk is for chaser convergence leading to incidents like this... I was worried yesterday morning when I saw SPC's moderate risk area was so small. I feel like this is becoming a bigger problem, but I don't know what the solution is.

vCash
    SPC has a moderate risk for tomorrow. What do you guys think?

venit, vidimus, amisimus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EngDawg View Post
    SPC has a moderate risk for tomorrow. What do you guys think?
    I started a separate thread for tomorrow. I think the potential is definitely there for tomorrow to be a big day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, I was just stating the fact that there are idiots on the road at all times, and I seem to be a magnet for them. Or does everyone else see at least 1 idiot on your way to and from work every single day? I do travel 36 miles one way to work everyday, so my chances of seeing idiots is probably greater than most of yours.